• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Guys,
We are very happy to have these lights released and shipping to you soon!

Now that the images of the complete lights are out there, we want to share some more behind the scenes photos for you.

Today I will start with a light the I have been using to prove the durability of these tools.
This light was dropped and thrown over 100 times, from 8-10 feet high, onto solid concrete.
These lights are made from 7075 aluminum which is much harder and stronger than the typical 6061 that is used in many lights.

This BOSS still functions 100% perfectly.
The glass never even chipped or cracked.
It is still waterproof.
Parts are still round and not seriously deformed.
Switch still works properly.
Threaded parts still function as if they were new.

I still carry this thing daily if the BOSS 70 is not in my pocket.

And after all of this abuse it was a bit roughed up for pocket carry.
I hit it with the grinder to take down the sharp edges, then gave it a tumble to smooth it out.
(light had battery inside and was turned on the whole time)
This is how it looks today.

Thank you everyone for your support!

-Tom

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Were cutting prototypes featured on some other sites! These things really turned out nice. [emoji41]

ven

Flashaholic
Very cool and very impressive Tom, am i the only one fighting back tears to hear/see what punishment it has sustained:faint:

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Very cool and very impressive Tom, am i the only one fighting back tears to hear/see what punishment it has sustained:faint:

That's flashlight cruelty! I can almost hear the poor Boss35 crying. :(

But its all in a good cause .... us! :thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
:laughing:

Cant wait for your impressions Daniel, certainly looks like the type of light you cant put down:)

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Shipping Update

Putting sets on their own trays for programming, customizing, testing, cleaning, lubing, and packing:

BOSSship2.jpg

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
That's a great job you're doing Dan. I was in Oregon in August on vacation. I should have looked you up!
What a beautiful place. I only saw the coast though. Will have to see the Cascades next time!

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info on programming. I couldn't resist. This light looks amazing. Cant wait for mine to arrive. So a few questions, I ordered the BOSS 35, I can program it to safely use a single primary CR123 if needed? Will the longer 70 bodies in this finish be available in the future? Thanks!

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading how to program the V5 board for use with a single cr123 I tried it out and it seems to work very well at level 21 which is about 300lm. I haven't tried pushing any further.

Cunha

Newly Enlightened
Re: New B.O.S.S Flashlight?

Why would you go with redome on future runs now that the HI is available? For tint?

U2v5

Newly Enlightened
Checked the BOSS availability this morning... all gone. That didn't take long.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Catching up...

Bearing in mind that the XPL-Hi has a more concentrated beam than the XPL with dome on, does this apply to the XPL-Hi triples too?
Yes. Triple optics were actually designed for XPE's. XPGs are to big and XPL's are way to big to be focused by such tiny lenses. So the HI/redome is a great improvement, its still a inherently floody combination.

Then it occurred to me...would I prefer amber? While I was debating in my mind, the last red one sold out from under me. Fortunately, I had decided that amber was what I wanted anyway.
Bonus note on R vs A: red is harder to see in rural settings. In urban settings with heavy streatlights (that have become heavy yellow/orange), amber blends in better.

I couldn`t take it anymore. I put in an order for a 70 with the amber secondary.
I already have a V5 in a bored out 9P as my primary. The 70 will be my backup but I`m thinking that wont last and will become the only light I carry.
BOSSs approach is to put the performance of a primary light in the package of a backup/secondary light. With an 18650, BOSS will likely overtake most primary rolls.

Man, I really want to get this light and have it as a backup to my LEO duty light for work. However, I'm concerned that this might be way too much for me to handle. So many options, in a small package.
Assuming it arrives with your prefered mode groups, all you have to manage is on/off, mode changes (off/on for under 2 seconds), and battery changes. The rest of the tech will take care of itself. Additional options can be ignored until they matter to down the road.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
how is the water resistance on these lights?
Everything we make is with brutal uses in mind. We don't have the resources for ratings, but you can run in the rain, take a swim, drop it in the mud. Just treat the rings/lubes between extreme uses like salt water.

My understanding is, that they are sold as complete lights or combos, with no extra parts. If extra bodies are available later on, I'm definitely getting a 35 body!
Part of the BOSS plan is to endulge in multiple metals/finishes. This reduces our ability to manage extra parts of any particular metal/finish. But 35+70 combo was a huge hit and will make up a much larger portion of future cuttings (past this year). When the dust settles on this round, we'll look around and post extras we may have.

I ordered the BOSS 35, I can program it to safely use a single primary CR123 if needed?
The rule with CR123 is avoid exceeding 1amp per cell. As a matter of some coincidence, our medium levels do this nicely. So avoid high and you can run CR's whenever you like.

However, systems that protect rechargeables from overdischarge will keep you from running the CR as low as it can handle, reducing available runtime. You can disable these systems directly, the green options in the center:

luxrc.png

The third option is with the buit in CR mode. It handles limits and runtimes for you but is only available on 2 cell configs. In all cases, avoid using IMRs when these systems are disabled.

Why would you go with redome on future runs now that the HI is available? For tint?
Our LED priorities are output, color and logistics. Output is a given but getting an acceptable color, batch after batch from easily availalbe reels is difficult. XPL supplies are better and easier to find than XPLHI, and we've been doing redome for so long, its often easier to do it ourselves than to find the perfect bin 'premade'. And the result is a color that is more generally appealing.

Hello, what is ETA for the second wave (HA)?
I would normally say 'next month' and call it day. But Nov/Dec are the slowest months of the year to get anything made. So preliminarily, before years end.

Was I right to think the 219 versions won't be in the batches this year?
We have a limited number of handy 219B boards. They may be ready for the HA batch. There's also a possibility of a 2nd smaller patina batch that they could appear in.

Last edited:

Robe

Enlightened
Here is hoping for the patina batch. But kind of thinking I might have to grab whichever comes first.