• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

v5 Triple BOSS Flashlight (Bright Output Small Size)

Stoneking

Enlightened
Re: New B.O.S.S Flashlight?

I'm scared of UV leds because of the potential eye damage they can cause if one forgets and looks at them directly.

The damage would need to be a prolonged period of exposure, 10-15mins at a direct angle and a short distance. The red and amber leds would cause just as much damage to the eye. I believe anyway, I'm far from an expert.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Just as a FYI, I do feel like this present conversation has strayed from the initial purpose of this main BOSS thread.
A lot of speculation that would probably be better elsewhere.

fyrstormer

Banned

In theory but the tower requires a certain size/spec LED (tiny) and we've not yet found the ideal candidate. but i have not given up.
KingBright and SunLED both make yellow-green LEDs that will fit, and they work with the optical programming. They do require a bit more amperage to generate usable brightness, compared to red/orange/yellow LEDs though. But my understanding is Serge has already equipped some of his own NXS-R1-powered lights with yellow-green secondary LEDs, so I assume this means there's a way to adjust the amperage delivered to the secondary LED without designing a whole new driver board. Maybe he could assist?

Dude hear me out... what about a UV secondary.
I found these, https://www.lumileds.com/products/uv-leds

Just a thought, not even sure it would be practical or useful in such a small led. Thoughts anyone?
Green/blue/violet/UV LEDs use a different chemistry that doesn't respond to high-intensity incoming light the same way that red/orange/yellow LEDs do. As a result, using a green/blue/violet/UV secondary LED would break the optical programming feature. I know this firsthand from prior experimentation. Yellow-green is the furthest you can go away from red before the optical programming feature stops working. So you could hypothetically install your own UV secondary LED, but you'd want to make sure you programmed the driver the way you want beforehand, and in any event Oveready couldn't sell them that way because the user wouldn't be able to reconfigure them.

Last edited:

Dknight16

Newly Enlightened

Will zirconium be offered again anytime soon?

Last edited:

BOSS 70 SERIAL FLASHING NUMBER MEANING?

Sorry in advance if wrong place for this. Searched high and low for a place to ask a question about BOSS serial numbers, etc.

Just bought a beautiful Al 70 from K2-bk-bl-rd (thanks Josh). I know when in programming mode it blinks the serial number. Does plugging this into the Lux website tell you what LEDs were chosen? I found the sale thread from where Josh bought this light and it says it is an original run with Nichias with red secondary, but trying to find all the specifications possible.

Plugging it in it shows Cree LEDs, not Nichia. Is this always correct, or could the buyer have asked for Nichia LEDs instead and it not get recorded via the serial number? I am very pleased with the tint of the LEDs it has in it, just curious.'

From the website when I plug in serial number. Anyone who can decode the less obvious parts of this is welcome to mansplain it to me (no I am not a woman, but I am an ignorant man). :shrug:

Production Batch Details

371D R1.2.5 Light Engine

Build Date: 2016 Q2

Program with: NXS R1

LE Hardware: 371 Blue 9965-57677
LE Firmware: 371D R1.2.5 ID151 270416
LE Peak Output: 32W (3.2A per each LED)
LE Carry Sens: NA

LED Type: CREE XP-L HI
LED Bin: 4200K U6 5B4
Aux LED: RED 640nm (7mA)
[h=4][/h]

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
It should be accurate, unless modded post-production (and if the blinks are being counted correctly, lol)

And personally, I prefer those emitters over the Nichia :shrug:

Last edited: