VanIsleDSM's AMAZING Septa and other Drop Ins - a 'mini review' - photo heavy!

jcalvert

Enlightened
Please start a new thread for the host brainstorming, as this one is starting to go way off topic.

Excessive heat management of high output light engines through the host is absolutely relevant to this thread and its a subject matter that has been mentioned by others including the OP. Any other issues need to be addressed by a PM. Thank you!

John

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
I am really looking forward to the septa but still think a bigger host will probably be a must.... I would be very surprised if it will run for long in a 6P host without gloves!

Perhaps it is just to hot over here on OZ! Out in the snow it would probably run a lot longer before you feel it....

Even if I run it on medium mostly I will be happy. :)

And yes John I did get a few new lights this week,... How did you guess.... Two tri- edcs ... Titanium and a copper!

jcalvert

Enlightened
I am really looking forward to the septa but still think a bigger host will probably be a must.... I would be very surprised if it will run for long in a 6P host without gloves!

Perhaps it is just to hot over here on OZ! Out in the snow it would probably run a lot longer before you feel it....

Even if I run it on medium mostly I will be happy. :)

And yes John I did get a few new lights this week,... How did you guess.... Two tri- edcs ... Titanium and a copper!

Andrew,

You crack me up...how did I guess? I count on you for getting the newest H.O. light engines/hosts to test and provide us your impressions and awesome beamshots comparisons. As for run4jc's photo of the Septa wth the FM 26650 copper threaded host, you should get some decent runtime on high, yes/no? Try it out with your others and let us know. Be safe!

All the best my friend,
John

DM51

Flashaholic
Excessive heat management of high output light engines through the host is absolutely relevant to this thread and its a subject matter that has been mentioned by others including the OP.
No. You have careened off topic and hijacked this thread. Take your discussion elsewhere.

warmurf

Enlightened
I'd love to see the Septa up against Mac's 3300L. Both similar in lumens output and similar in concept I guess. Hopefully one for a future beamshot comparison review.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Run4jc, thank you very much for the excellent review. I own both the VI and Kerb 4.2A units and I was wondering if you would comment on the beam quality of the Plain Tight optic relative to the Khatod. The vast majority of my use is from 2-8' and a smooth beam is a paramount consideration. The VI/Khatod exhibits six clear zones that are all within the focal field of view at this range and it's quite distracting. Is the beam of the Plain Tight any smoother or more uniform? So for example, an SST-50 or MC-E provide smooth beam patterns with a fat hotspot. That is, brightest at center and falling off monotonically throughout the spill/corona. The Khatod beam has a dark band between two brighter bands on the edge of the corona, one of which has a rainbow effect.

Thanks for any additional insights you can provide,
Wilkey

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Price was not withdrawn, I just decided not to mention it this time, as it seemed to turn the thread from discussion and interest into sales and availability.

Single mode Septas are ready to go, still working out a couple unexpected kinks in the multi-mode versions.

With the multi-mode there is an integrated thermal shutdown, but it is for emerency shutdown only, you will not want to rely on this. So far in my experience, the extra surface area and finning on the septa allows it to run on high longer than a 5.6A quad before getting too hot, if by only a little bit.

The worry with overheating is in the batteries. While the LEDs themselves and the driver components can get well over 100C and still function properly, the battery does not like to see over 50C. If the head is getting hot enough that it is uncomfortable to touch, then it's time to drop your light down to medium or low.

As for a single XML drop-in not getting as hot, it wouldn't, it's only using half the power, and making half the light of a 5.6A quad.

I think anyone who ends up with a septa will be pleasently surprised by it's ability to shed heat. Whether you use it on a 6P or a 26650, the difference won't be too much. The majority of heat will dissipate through the head.

The plain tight optic is definitly the most smooth, and my new favourite. It doesn't sacrfice too much collimation (compared to the khatod) and puts out quite a bit more overall light, while having a very smooth and even beam.

The quads used for Dan's test are available right now in the modified BST section for anyone interested. The highest tested (to my knowledge) OTF lumen P60 in the world? 1654 Lumen.

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
The quads used for Dan's test are available right now in the modified BST section for anyone interested. The highest tested (to my knowledge) OTF lumen P60 in the world? 1654 Lumen.

I still smile everytime I check in on this thread and see that lumen measurement... Just glad I have one. Now I've got to figure out how to fund a Septa.

J-FRAME

Newly Enlightened
I,m down for a Septa drop-in thread on head but its got to be a 2 mode or 3 mode. Full pull is to much.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone else confirm this -

I wondered if there was a difference in output between the FM copper host and the older FM host because of the extra size/joint/copper (maybe adding extra resistance) & the difference between using IMR 26500 and IMR 26650 batteries.

Using a quad drop-in, I measured 236lux @ 4.3 meters using the copper FM host and a 26650.
Did the same test again using am FM 26500 host and 26500 battery, and got 298lux @ 4.3 meters :shrug: thats a big difference IMO.
So it can only be two things, the extra joint between the copper and alu or the 26650 doesn't have the same output as the AW26500 (I used the same tail cap for both tests)

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Interesting indeed. I know the chemistry is more suited to holding a higher voltage.

It could also be that you have a bummed 26650, as one of mine is. still charges up fine and lasts a while, but it won't put out 10A any more. My other one works fine. Which reminds me, I need to order a couple more.

I know that the single mode septa will be too much for most people, though some just despise modes and prefer single for all of their lights it seems. I'm working on the multi-mode septa fix daily. Hoping to have them ready asap.

Edit: Was it one of my regulated quads? If it was a direct drive quad then it all makes sense. The 26500 will hold more voltage and push more current.

Last edited:

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fettie switch was used for the test and I even tried just using a thick piece of wire instead of a switch.
I have 12 x 26650 and 3 x 26500 and 1 of the AW26500's is a dud.
The drop in is a kerberos quad xpg r5 5.6amp 3 speed.
One thing I did notice too is the inside daiamiter on the copper FM host (were the drop in seats) is bigger than the older hosts.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Where do you get FETtie switches?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk