VARI-NEEDLE Ver. 2 -- Can You Guess What This Is?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Re: Vari-Needle Ver. 2 - Pics

I think if the outside rim of the Mag 'flector is turned down slightly, there shouldn't be much of a loss of reflective real estate. But the kicker is that the head's internals presents a shoulder past which the midpoint of the Mag's reflector will not go. It would have to be machined down (hint, hint).

This reflector is still far superior to the Pel's, by virtue of the significantly greater surface area. It's just that it is shallow and non-stippled.

MenaceSQL

Enlightened

Ahhh... a little booster seat for the luxeon... how cute. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Great job Charlie! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

Very nice work.
Looks like a very fuctinal light.

I hope to see alot more of these variable type lights soon.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tried a couple of 5W's in Brink 2D's for kicks and I know exactly whatcha mean about the reflector not being up to the Mag's standard. They still do alright tho.. There's just not enough depth in the head to do much else. But I do like the variable switching - it makes for 2 lights in one (kind of).

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

I guess I need to replace the resistor in the dimmer switch with one of a higher value, to get that truly useful walk-to-the-restroom-at-three-in-the-morning level of light.

Or I might sell this one for the next guy to do it. I have more mods still waiting to develop!

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you ever do replace that resistor, let us know how it goes. I believe you're brave enough to take it on, but perhaps not foolish enough?

Paul