Variable brightness EDC -- Good for close tasks?

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
And just for completeness of discussion, the (discontinued) SureFire T1A Titan might be another option, if you could find new-old-stock or secondhand.

Most of these did have emitters which were pretty blue in tint, however, as does mine.

Good addition. I can't believe they stopped making these.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good addition. I can't believe they stopped making these.
They were crazy expensive really and the tint was all over the place too.
I have 2 of them that I got on sale at the end and they are similar except for tint,it is so different that you can't believe that they are the same light really!

On the practical side though they are the best,smoothest and reliably and repeatably lowest level light that I have and use every night too.
I think I have changed the battery maybe twice in the main one in 5 years too?!

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
They were crazy expensive really and the tint was all over the place too.
I have 2 of them that I got on sale at the end and they are similar except for tint,it is so different that you can't believe that they are the same light really!

On the practical side though they are the best,smoothest and reliably and repeatably lowest level light that I have and use every night too.
I think I have changed the battery maybe twice in the main one in 5 years too?!

Crazy to hear about the color difference in the T1A. It lends credence to what Henry wrote about LED variation in the LED flashlight white paper another user posted recently in reference to the benefits of HDS lights like the rotary.

LRJ88

Enlightened
LRJ88 - I was almost ready to click buy on the Peak Eiger with the High CRI LED. Some the reviews on its Quantum Tunneling Composite however gave me second thoughts long enough to reach out to you all. It seems like a love/hate relationship that people have getting it tuned to the brightness they desire and can jump around a little? That being said, I really like what I see as far as size and features.

It really is a polarizing system, i love it and now i'm able to easily dial them in and i'm very comfortable they won't accidentally come on, others have massive issues and can't dial them in if their life depended on it. I'd lend you one of mine if you lived in Sweden and promised to give it back, i love them and they're my second favourite flashlight to use now after my tactician.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I haven't missed the bus, I'd also vote for the HDS Rotary. It can take a beating and will last for many, many years. Some find it large for a 1xCR123 light (it is, actually), but I have fairly large hands and I find smaller lights difficult to wield, especially in an outdoor setting when my hands might be wet. Many people, including me, also find that their hands swell when walking or exercising. For me, this detracts from the fine motor skills needed to operate little, finger tip sized buttons. Just something to consider, as your use case included camping, etc.

Latest posts