Vertical Extreme Throw test #1: TL-3 VS SRTH/9P/N2 (& PM6)

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: VERY long throw

Norm,

I was actually thinking about sending you one of my torches for the test. If it's too much trouble, I understand. I have a special super-throw torch in build. The bulb should be at least as bright as the 01111 but the filament is substantially smaller. The resultant spot should be significantly smaller all in a 3C package.

Wilkey

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Norm, the Lady I talked with seemed pretty knowledgeable... although when I asked about leaving my StingerHP on charge all the time she said it is a lithium type batt with 'smart' stuff so it doesn't cook. I'm not sure what to make of that! I really thought it was just NiCads...

Anyhow if you were to go to http://www.batteriesplus.com/ and locate a store near you, I bet you could call them and tell them what you need.

I dealt with a walk in store.

I probably won't get back there until next Saturday.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Wilkey,

That's tempting but I'm really trying to keep these tests as "stock" as possible. Maybe I could add a mod section to the tests later on, I'm not sure about that yet.

I'm really curious about that mod. I know how bright the Lemlux 2C/4x123/Carley #409 is (by description, not first-hand). If yours turns out to be brighter I might want to get one.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic

Joe,

Thanks. That "lithium type" business puzzles me too. It doesn't really add up because all those Streamlight batteries are NiCAD, unless she meant that their custom 6v stick has over/under charge protection built in like liION batteries or at least their chargers do.

I want to get more info before I proceed and I'm trying to remember who first posted about this. Guess it's time to hit SEARCH.

Brightnorm

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok,

No problem. There's plenty 'o time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW, might you mean Carley 809 on 4x123? If so, this is significantly brighter by about 40% I'd guess. That's output out the front of the torch.

Wilkey

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Ok,

No problem. There's plenty 'o time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW, might you mean Carley 809 on 4x123? If so, this is significantly brighter by about 40% I'd guess. That's output out the front of the torch.

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

That's bright!! Of course you're right! #809 (OTOH 409 would give 1/2 the lumens but with 2x the runtime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I never even hinted at a 6V stick to her Norm.

I will when I go back!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Joe, my mistake. Her response should be interesting.

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I had hoped to have test #2 of this series posted by now but there have been unavoidable "logistical" delays. It should be up some time this week.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: Vertical Extreme Throw Test #1: SRTH vs TL-3 (& TL-2)

Vertical Extreme throw test #2 is being delayed by an unusual police presence near my testing site. There is a huge "mobile command post" parked between my "firing positions" and the target building, and a higher than usual number of officers walking around. The MCP has been parked there for several days.

It is there for security reasons relating to large crowds attending a seasonal entertainment venture. Finding alternative locations is problematic, and if it remains much longer I might try testing anyway.

BN

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Vertical Extreme Throw Test #1: SRTH vs TL-

Norm,

I'm sure it 's going to be worth the wait. Just don't get arrested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wilkey

brightnorm

Flashaholic

They might not understand. Most LEOs aren't Flashaholics, besides, since 9/11 levels of alertness and suspicion remain a little higher than before which I think is a good thing.

Remember, I'm testing these lights by shining them at people's windows!

BN

sigp6

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
Remember, I'm testing these lights by shining them at people's windows!

BN

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Maybe that's why they are there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Tom

brightnorm

Flashaholic

My apologies once again for not yet posting test #2 in this series. Testing is finally underway (SRTH/N2 vs TIGERLIGHT) and I hope to post sometime this week. I will be adding some new features that will hopefully make the test results more useful.

Brightnorm