Very difficult NOT to love AAA's these days.

Coppet

Newly Enlightened
But copper is inherently softer, so if you drop one of those beauties on a hard floor... heartache. :caution:

Yes, you're right, luckily that was rarely the case until now and it always ended lightly or I could still catch the fall with my foot:)
But such a few quirks belong to a patina and I actually only use one AAA regularly for over two years now, my first Copper Tool that I have rebuilt here: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/52749
And that's how she looks today, still pretty good, isn't it?:)
36303904wc.jpg

36303906te.jpg

36303914mn.jpg

36303917ct.jpg

36303919ga.jpg

36303947us.jpg

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened

Vemice

Enlightened
Update:
After playing with the TiXmas I realized that it has next mode memory which for me is unacceptable. I contacted Thrunite and apparently they made some "changes " to the light without reflecting it in their literature.
Just a heads up if anyone else is considering this light.
Too bad as I really liked it otherwise.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never heard of "next mode memory".
Does that mean that if you switch it off at level #2 it'll restart at level #3?
If it does, it's bonkers.
P

Vemice

Enlightened
Absolutely. It made no sense to me. I tried it several times over two days. When I contacted them, they agreed with me. They apologized for the "misunderstanding" and that the current literature does not indicate the change. I have their Ti3 and really like it.

I've never heard of "next mode memory".
Does that mean that if you switch it off at level #2 it'll restart at level #3?
If it does, it's bonkers.
P

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Some lights you can disable next mode memory by using pencil lead across some of the capacitor chips on the circuit board.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I can understand Memory mode. But Next Mode Memory is an idiotic feature that makes no sense, and that no one asked for.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I can understand Memory mode. But Next Mode Memory is an idiotic feature that makes no sense, and that no one asked for.
I doubt it is a feature but rather a poor design and most likely the design is a penny cheaper than a non next mode memory circuit board and factories making these lights don't care if they work annoyingly they want that miniscule extra profit.
The pencil mod is the cure for the next mode memory annoyance, else you would need to get a soldering iron out.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pencil mod is the cure for the next mode memory annoyance, else you would need to get a soldering iron out.

thanks for that info
can you show a photo of which cap to pencil on a Thrunite Ti aaa?

speaking of other bad memory UIs
Folomov C1... wont memorize moonlight, so after using the shortcut, the next mode can be L, or M, or H, depending what was used last.. worst UI I can think of.. would much prefer the Olight UI, it has normal memory, and moonlight can be memorized, and is always followed by Low..

dont get me started.. lol

kimloris

Newly Enlightened
thanks for that info

Folomov C1... wont memorize moonlight, so after using the shortcut, the next mode can be L, or M, or H, depending what was used last.. worst UI I can think of.. would much prefer the Olight UI, it has normal memory, and moonlight can be memorized, and is always followed by Low..

I agree that the memory mode is weird on the C1 but I just always turn it on in ML by a 0.5s press and then cycle through the mode I want.

From OFF: Press the tail switch quickly to access mode memory (memory will not remember moonlight or Turbo)
From OFF: Press and hold the tail switch for 0.5s to access moonlight mode, then press the tail switch quickly to access memorized mode.
From ON: From a memorized mode, press the tailswitch once to cycle modes in the following order: low->medium->high->medium->low

Obviously not ideal if you want to always start on High though.
Not sure why Folomov made it so complex but glad there is a way that I can always start in Moonlight.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks kim, yes, there is a shortcut to moon in the Folomov C1 UI..

but the next click does not necessarily give Low, it can be Medium or High..

so I NEVER know what mode my folomov will turn on at, and I never know what mode will follow my use of the shortcut to moon.. since I dont remember what mode I used last in any of my flashlights (I have too many that I use)

so yes, using the C1 requires me to cycle ALL the modes, to figure out where I am in the rotation

fortunately, I dont have to live with my C1's peculiarities, I have made plans to gift the light to a friend, just so he can experience the nice warm LED.. the UI is just terrible, but the LED is kind of nice :)

its not really an AAA light though.. its only 10440

anyway.. I do like my AAA lights, particularly my copper tool w electronic switch

I also have a new Tool AAA w the pebbled TIR (and a high CRI LED swap).. I find the beam very useful for close use, and I like that the light is totally predictable, it Always comes on at Medium first, which I find very practical. The little single mode i3e is a popular gift.. sure to consume batteries quickly, Im getting 102 lumens on an eneloop…

HPX5aft.jpg

TZvYZzI.png

here I include a pic of the Folomov, but no beamshot, the battery is dead, again, due to parasitic drain…
a7vYAEO.jpg

actually, who am I kidding.. gotta have a beam shot.. after a brief recharge of the Folomov C1 10440
hP8fhux.jpg

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
thanks for that info

I have no clue which one, just do all of them and test it before you put the board back in the light to see if it works as I had to put more on my cheap light to get it to work the more you get on the capacitor the less memory time it has so you have to test it by switching modes with a pause of a second or so between them to see how long the capacitor holds enough charge.

Vemice

Enlightened
Just got these NOS Peak Eigers. Not sure about dating of the smooth body but it is SS with a Mule and another (for me) raw aluminum Mule.
Both with single mode level 4 warm output. One of these could be my near perfect night time light.
ARoVL0Zl.jpg