Very difficult NOT to love AAA's these days.

sbslider

Enlightened

my top pick today, for a AAA, is the Copper Maratac w Nichia, same modes as the Tool w Nichia 20/3/80. It has every feature I look for. Efficient regulated driver, even on high, noPWM, twisty, tail stands, reversible hat clip, N219b, and Copper!:)
I second that recommendation.

But I will add that my Manker E01 with Nichia gets used daily (nighly actually) in firefly mode. We need a light you can set to start in firefly, or go back to the mode MLH mode sequence / levels of the Maratac as a second option. Sound like just a bit of firmware to me . . .

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
We need a light you can set to start in firefly, or go back to the mode ... levels of the Maratac

L08 4 mode w nichia fills that niche nicely 0.09/3/30/120
it also has a deeper than usual reflector, that works better for tail standing like a candle on a table without the LED being in line of sight
Check here use coupon code Freedom and get it for $13
34144426271_54357e1f4e_b.jpg

sbslider

Enlightened
I may just bite on this one yet. I considered this light a month or two ago, and opted out do to what I perceived as poor reliability, and a pause on buying any more lights. I did break the pause in buying a Ti3 for about the same price. In hindsight maybe the L08 would have been a better choice.

While I do like having firefly come on first during sleeping time, the rest of the time I prefer a MLH mode sequence. That's why I suggested a firmware mod. Not sure which of these relatively inexpensive AAA lights have firmware, but I do know many lights do. Seems like a mode change to starting on firefly vs ignoring firefly could be easily implemented in firmware.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
L08 4 mode w nichia fills that niche nicely 0.09/3/30/120
it also has a deeper than usual reflector, that works better for tail standing like a candle on a table without the LED being in line of sight
Check here use coupon code Freedom and get it for $13
34144426271_54357e1f4e_b.jpg
Thanks for the heads up Jon. Great deal and I've got a couple on the way now!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it's been year so time to bump this thread because I STILL love AAA lights. Probably my favorite type of light to use all around. I have a few good AA lights that are super functional but for overall FUN factor I gotta go with a little AAA twisty. Recently picked up an Olight I3S that I have been really enjoying. Never pulled the trigger on one in the past, (as well as a few other AAA lights) because I didn't think I'd like the mode sequencing. Turns out I like it just fine. I3S has been pulling keychain duty during the day and pulled off and tossed into the pocket for around the house use. It's been with me along with an E01 for a little taste test. Different beast than an E01 but I like it a lot. So come on people share your love of the little AAA lights. Here's a pic of my new friend...
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

The I3S EOS is a sweet little light! In the AAA dept I've also come to really love the Petzl Tikkina as well. It takes 3 x AAA, has three output levels and does everything I need to do with a headlamp. The Low is powerful enough to be useful but low enough to give ridiculous runtimes while the HIGH output is plenty to navigate with at night and do camp chores.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I don't "love" AAAs much these days but they are better.. much better than coin cells and button batteries hands down. In the past I've gone to AAs instead and now I'm more into 18650s as my eyes have gotten old and need more light and reading glasses the 30 lumens that was good in the past is now the 120 lumens of today and the runtime of 1-3 hours is too short so I went to 18650 battery technology and now my AAAs are in my pockets where 18650s are way too big and my AAA and AA lights sit by while I grab 18650s 95% of the time as I don't have to recharge them nearly as much better output and runtime with the cost of slightly larger than 3AAAs and more powerful and shorter than 2AAs.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it's been year so time to bump this thread because I STILL love AAA lights. Probably my favorite type of light to use all around. I have a few good AA lights that are super functional but for overall FUN factor I gotta go with a little AAA twisty. Recently picked up an Olight I3S that I have been really enjoying. Never pulled the trigger on one in the past, (as well as a few other AAA lights) because I didn't think I'd like the mode sequencing. Turns out I like it just fine. I3S has been pulling keychain duty during the day and pulled off and tossed into the pocket for around the house use. It's been with me along with an E01 for a little taste test. Different beast than an E01 but I like it a lot. So come on people share your love of the little AAA lights. Here's a pic of my new friend...
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
I wish they still made the i3S and put a better emitter in it... I don't like the i3E that is still being made.

I'm still using an old Fenix L0D Q4 and it's holding up well. Access to the emitter is very easy, so I'm tempted to mod the emitter... just don't know yet what would fit.

EDC-Olight-i3cu-Fenix-L0-D.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have an old Fenix L0D Rebel 80 version. Bought it back in the day. Will never sell it. Leaving it stock. Has the longest actual-use runtime out of literally every light in my massive collection. Mostly because I tested it for 25 hours after learning about that whole emitter might come loose from the epoxy used to keep it in place scandal. Though after 25 hours of testing, it's clear I ended up with one made properly.

Love that light. One night while on the job, under miserable conditions, my stock Night-Ops Gladius failed on me. And rather miserably. Out came the L0D to tackle the job the Gladius clearly couldn't.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leaving it stock. Has the longest actual-use runtime out of literally every light in my massive collection

fwiw, changing the LED to High CRI will not alter the runtime, and it might even make it brighter

for example I have a Novatac, (similar LED design age to your L0D). With the stock P4 LED it was putting out 74 lumens max.. after an LED swap to N219b, it now puts out over 200 lumens on the same setting.. still the same runtime.. just more lumens, AND High CRI

with modern cool white LEDs, going to High CRI can actually lower the lumens by as much as 30%.. but it still will not alter the runtime

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was ready to disagree with this thread initially when it started but instead I am forced to jump on board. So much to choose from now and often at very reasonable prices. Sure AA can do everything better but it just can't compete with the small slim AAA in the size category for single cell lights.The efficiency of LEDs allows AAA to be a viable power source and provide enough run time for EDC use. I can carry one CR123 in my watch pocket and almost all AA lights are too large for that. With AAA I can carry two lights in my watch pocket just as easily and still clip another AAA inside my front pocket with no discomfort. Not doing that with CR123 or larger lights,that extra width makes a big difference.

I still rotate my EDC but I have been carrying AAA a lot lately where I used to always carry only single CR123 lights. The variety of lights available and typically low prices make the single AAA an enjoyable option as an EDC.

Last edited:

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
...with the Sofirn C01 with the Yugi the love is ever expanding....

:grouphug:

phosphor22

Enlightened
...with the Sofirn C01 with the Yugi the love is ever expanding....

:grouphug:

Yes lots of love for this seemingly modest little light! I have a couple of them both warm and cool on their way to me to join their siblings.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an old Fenix L0D Rebel 80 version. Bought it back in the day. Will never sell it. Leaving it stock. Has the longest actual-use runtime out of literally every light in my massive collection. Mostly because I tested it for 25 hours after learning about that whole emitter might come loose from the epoxy used to keep it in place scandal. Though after 25 hours of testing, it's clear I ended up with one made properly.

Love that light. One night while on the job, under miserable conditions, my stock Night-Ops Gladius failed on me. And rather miserably. Out came the L0D to tackle the job the Gladius clearly couldn't.
My L0D has been super trusty, still going strong (as you can see above). Good to know someone else around here still has one!
Incidentally, since you like cool tints, have you seen the Jetbeam μ "mu"? AliExpress has a great price on them. I'd added a Sofirn C01 light to my cart (it was about $8 USD) but then I saw the Jetbeam μ for like $10 USD, So just $2 more... and you get a solid mid-tier brand with 3 brightness modes and 135 lumens. I couldn't resist, I bought one. It came about 10 days after the Sofirn C01. Wow... it's VERY nice! Can't get over the size. It's even smaller than the Fenix L0D. Will have to take comparative photos.

The L0D UI isn't bad. Strobe & SOS is in the sequence but since there's no mode memory you can avoid it if you never go beyond High. I do like that it's there and have put strobe to use on occasion. The
Jetbeam μ UI has L-M-H instead of M-L-H as in L0D and no strobe. However. the Jetbeam μ has mode memory! So if you used it on high and shut off, next time you start it, you're in high. The anodizing color is actually not black. It's a very, very dark brown. You can really see it next to a jet black anodized light. I like it.

If there's any gripe I have with it, it's that the screw threading isn't very wide. Because it's a twisty, you have to loosen a bit to turn off. But if you do more than 1/2 of a turn, a little bit of side pressure causes a slight "wobble". If you don't do enough of a turn, like 1/8th, sideways pressure can cause the light to momentarily come on. Just shy of 1/4 of a turn is "perfect". So, the "range" of rotation for off has to be a little more precise than on the L0D. Not a big deal, but worth noting.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, they make good backup or bedside table lights...
4BciyO3.jpg

Left to Right:

Astrolux A01(4000K/90+CRI/Nichia 219B SW40 R9050)
Sofirn C01 BLF Edition(3200K/95+CRI/Yuji BC Series High CRI)
JetBeam Jet-U/Jetusolis(4000K/98+CRI/Nichia Optisolis P10)
VNldIBj.jpg

Last edited:

Nichia!

Banned
Yep, they make good backup or bedside table lights...
4BciyO3.jpg

Left to Right:

Astrolux A01(4000K/90+CRI/Nichia 219B SW40 R9050)
Sofirn C01 BLF Edition(3200K/95+CRI/Yuji BC Series High CRI)
JetBeam Jet-U/Jetusolis(4000K/98+CRI/Nichia Optisolis P10)
VNldIBj.jpg

Thoughts about the jetbeam?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thoughts about the jetbeam?
Pros:

- Nice quality host
- Three mode interface
- Excellent regulation
- Excellent colour rendering
- Fairly clean tint for 4000K(less muddy then most)
- Nice floody beam profile(good for close up tasks)
- Can tailstand
- Dual lanyard holes
- Nice mixture of knurling and grooves/channels

Cons:

- Low is not low enough imo
- Medium and High are way too close to one and other in output
- Last mode memory(subjective)
- Tint shift even with the 30 degree diffusion optic
- Tint is very slightly greenish compared to more magenta samples like the 219B SW40 R9050(remember this is my sample and the tint lottery is likely still at work)
- Mismatched anodizing between head and body
- High mode can be a bit finicky if head is not tightened quite tight(no issue with this with either the A01 or C01).
- Clip is not terrible but, not great either

Overall it's nice but, the Astrolux A01's(mine are the original good ones) do a lot of things better and they are a WAY better value. But, they all have their pros and cons. I would like to try one in 4000K E21A now to compare to the Jetusolis. I suspect that the E21A models are a better option for most people.

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my copper astrolux to my nephew after one hour of play time. Pwm was terrible, next mode memory was terrible. My jetbeam is great, hard to beat for the money. The Jetbeam will make you smile with a 10440. Bought two jetbeams, and had no problems with head wobble.