Vice president shoots man. Quail at the thought

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
There are different type so f shot, depending on what you use it for. For waterfould, it has to be bismuth, steel or coated I believe. For other game it doesn't, unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

h_nu

Enlightened
I heard a lot of jokes but can't find it in myself to enjoy jokes about real people being shot. I learned a lot from everyone in this thread.

Gadget_lover, if the governor that you mentioned was your own Mr. S, I heard a few snide remarks from a major news outlet strongly implying it was because he was a governor and the cops were afraid of incurring the wrath of the state government. A radio station reported that he was not charged because the state law doesn't classify motorcycles with sidecars attached as a two wheel vehicle requiring a special license. I developed one opinion based on the TV news and changed it based on the radio. Moral of the story, I try to listen to multiple sources from both the left and the right and average them out. Like this thread, all sides. Cool.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I found several articles that made the same point, but according to http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d01/vc400.htm ,
Motorcycle

400. (a) A "motorcycle" is any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and weighing less than 1,500 pounds.

(b) A motor vehicle that has four wheels in contact with the ground, two of which are a functional part of a sidecar, is a motorcycle if the vehicle otherwise comes within the definition of subdivision (a).

While the Motorcycle Handbook says you can drive a motorcycle with a sidecar with only a Class C license (passenrger car is class C) there is no mention of that in the California Vehicle Code that I could find with an online search. The DMV Handbooks do not carry the force of law.

One could note that Gov S had never read that publication anyway since he was quoted widely as saying he never even thought about needing a license to drive a motorcyle. BTW, he has also driven bikes without sidecars on many occasions.

But this is way off subject.

Daniel

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
cheneyfudd8xv.jpg

elmercheney1in.jpg

cheneyfudd24hf.jpg

whittingtonbeak1mf.jpg

hector

Newly Enlightened
BIGIRON said:
Don't have the stats at hand, but it's pretty widely recognized that hunting and the shooting sports are among the safest activities.

I do agree that these guys should be cautious. It's just common sense. Maybe no biking or pretzel eating.

DieselDave is right. Around here something like this is a total non-event (except to the shooter and shootee). I am very safety concious and very picky about who I hunt or fish with. I haven't, to my knowledge, peppered anyone but did pepper my dog once--an occurance forever known as "the day Dave shot Sugar". She kept right on hunting but I was traumatized. I have been on the receiving end twice. No big deal.

I'm about 40 miles from the occurance.

NO, hunting is not a safe sport. Here in Wisconsin we have several deaths a year (in only 2-3 days) due to hunting as deer season approaches and one of the largest manned armies on the planet descend upon the Northwoods. I don't have the stats, but I think the Wisconsin hunters have more guns than amy other state. Eh, maybe that's part of the problem.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm too tired to debate. But a bit of interesting info -- more hunters die or are injured falling from trees or elevated platforms than by any other means.

hector

Newly Enlightened
Yes, but that doesn't make it safe. And I'm too tire to debate also. Lots of my close friends hunt and I've thought of going out with them, seems like lots of fun. I have nothing against hunting.

I also feel sorry for Cheney, I kinda don't like the media, or Bush making light of the subject. I feel Cheney is crushed (and how can you not be after shooting a friend), but for the Bush or the White House to make light of it is just wrong. It's not funny.

hector

Newly Enlightened
Eh, I'd give him a pass here. The license was new, started 5 months before, but so I'd give him a pass. But a bunch of 70 year olds with guns, bad idea.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
hector said:
...But a bunch of 70 year olds with guns, bad idea.

My Dad and his buddies resemble that remark. They have hunted together for years and have never had any type of "real" injury. That 8" gash held together with metal stitches on my Dad's forearm I had to clean every day for two weeks, those stitches on the back of his buddies head, the ringing in the ears, the burns, cuts, cactus in the legs, mesquite thorns through your boots and all the rest are nothing but memories of good times with good friends around Uvalde, Concan and Cotulla. A couple of you old geezers know where I'm talking about. The VP was farther south and east but the same type of rough country. I understand Quail were great this year.

It's always a shame when someone gets hurt but I can't think of anything more enjoyable than a good quail hunt. Many past Presidents and VP's hunted. You can be sure not any old Joe can past muster to get to go hunting with the Pres. or VP. There won't be any rookies near the big guy or anyone else for that matter without some serious credentials.

greenLED

Flashaholic
eluminator said:
Apparently in Texas you need an upland game bird stamp to shoot lawyers. What's this world coming to?

:crackup: that's a good one.

Just heard on the news one of the shots moved into through the bloodstream and into the guy's heart. Not good if you ask me...

So... why did we not hear about this for 2 days after it hapenned, and only after the press inquired? :confused:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why should we hear about it? Despite a public figure being involved, it was an accident and this guy's medical issues shouldn't have to be made public.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think hunting is safe based on my experiences, my above story not withstanding. I've been in the woods in deer season with a bunch of trigger happy hunters, many of them not local. I mean yes, I suppose it's safer then say riding inside barrels down waterfalls but there is a greatly increased chance of people being shot and here in New England you will read about hunting deaths in the fall as well. I recall such one a couple of years ago about a woman hanging sheets out to dry in her farm house back yard and getting killed by a deer hunter. I think you're taking a certain amount of risk when hunting, particularly during deer hunting season.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO, hunting is not a safe sport. Here in Wisconsin we have several deaths a year

actually the Wisconsin DNR keeps very detailed records of hunting accidents, so it's actually possible to lookup and see the specifics here (links to pdf document) in 2004 there were approximately 4 accidents per 100k people involved and in total 2 fatalities. This is actually pretty good compared with other leisure time activities that people get up to. Most organizations dont publish such statistics, so it's hard to find out how many fatalities each year result from say, beach volleyball (perhaps just from the older fellows watching having a heart attack...) but hospitals do publish statistics and as much as 30% of all their ER visits are leisure time sport related. Thats a rather significant number of people getting injured while having fun and doing what they love.

I, for example, spent all day yesterday working with power tools, carefully thinking through each motion before I moved and didn't get so much as a sliver. And then i went to to lift my son out of his high chair that evening and took a huge gouge out of my left ring finger on a piece of sharp plastic sticking out to the side on the dumb thing! (what does this have to do with anything? I dont know ;) Just laughing at myself is all...)

InfidelCastro

Banned
hector said:
Eh, I'd give him a pass here. The license was new, started 5 months before, but so I'd give him a pass. But a bunch of 70 year olds with guns, bad idea.

I wonder if that's why the media was kept in the dark for an entire day.. so that they could run out and get their hunting licenses.. reminds me of Arnold a month or so ago, crashing his bike... no motorcycle license..

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel bad for the VP as I'm sure he feels bad as well. The story is big because he is the VP. The press is annoyed because he didn't think of them first.

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
I'd still rather go hunting with Cheney than ride in a car across a bridge with Ted Kennedy! Ted's killed more people than Cheney has.

It can still be read, with effort. I felt it needed called to the participants attention the type of material that got the first thread on the topic closed, and how this one is in danger of going the same way. - Empath

joecandlepower

Newly Enlightened
InfidelCastro said:
I wonder if that's why the media was kept in the dark for an entire day.. so that they could run out and get their hunting licenses.. reminds me of Arnold a month or so ago, crashing his bike... no motorcycle license..
Wasn't he riding one with a sidecar?
If so, you only need a class C which is just a normal DL.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
ABTOMAT said:
Why should we hear about it? Despite a public figure being involved, it was an accident and this guy's medical issues shouldn't have to be made public.

Because it was the VP who pulled the trigger. People in these kinds of positions are expected to adhere to a higher standard of conduct and judgement; that's why they're in the positions they're in.