Walking light for Mom

MojoLight

Newly Enlightened
Ray O Vac Sportsman Extreme 2aa 1watt or 3watt depending on how bright she wants it and how important runtime is. Either one will be much brighter and last much longer than the mag she's been using.

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Keep it simple - Streamlight Propoly 4AA Lux.

Actually, I loaned my 4AA Propoly to my parents (late 60's in age) and they tried changing the batteries and were confused when the emitter and reflector just 'fell out' after unscrewing the cap.

I like the 4AA Propoly quite a lot, but wonder how easy an elderly person would find changing the batteries.

txmatt

Enlightened
Yeah, that is a bit different, but the refelector assembly only goes in one way and there is a battery diagram inside. The most-recommended Fenix lights have no battery diagram, and as I recall, no reverse polarity protection.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I settled on the ProPoly 7led for our elderly (80's) parents. Flood is much more important, for their use, than throw. When Mom got to the point the button was difficult, she just grasped the light and pushed the button with a chair arm or such.

Loaded with lithiums, I only changed battts once in 3 years. My father in law (90) changed his own.

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Take a look at the Streamlight Tasklight Luxeon 3xAA LED.

It's rated 4 stars by the good old Flashlight Reviews.com. Costs about $35.

It's body/head located switch is right where your mom expects a flashlight's switch to be. Nothing new to learn. Nothing fancy. No techno-boy-toy whiz-bang technology to dazzle the tatoo-tykes at the rave clubs. Just a simple, well-made, reliable light.

While it's not regulated, it does have a nice, long, slow discharge curve and nicely balanced beam. Size is about 50% longer than that marginal Mini-Mag, so it also makes a decent emergency baton (impact weapon) for whacking unfriendly critters and intruders lurking in them thar' woods.

My Better Half has access to my entire Surefire collection, but she prefers this light for our nightly walks. However, she IS, like, REAL old (like, over 60, like me -- like, Horrors!) so this advice, like, comes from, like, the Planet Senile.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mom lives out in the woods and has a lot of wild animals. Things go bump in the night and she tries to light up an acre with a 3D Mag, I couldn't let the woman that birthed me suffer like that. I said she could get more light out of a smaller cooler looking package, but she wanted to stick with the large and swing-albe maglite. So I made my mom a Tri-SSC Maglite driven by a Shark. I told her she could have multiple levels with a Bflex (not in such technical terms) and all she wanted was one that clicked on and off. Keep it simple and stick with alkalines or similar shaped rechargeables. Stay in the recipients comfort zone.

xiaowenzu

Banned
So Mom just had her 60th birthday and loves to walk every morning at 6. Usually it is dark. She lives in the NW in the woods....no street lights. Right now her edc is a AA mag. I want a simple pocket light that runs on 123's or AA,AAA. Also I think a click switch would be best--nothing complicated. I like the Amilite T5 so that is one idea....also the fenix P1-CE is nice but no clickie. Any other thoughts?

If you love your mom, give her THE BEST! Get her a Novatac 120P with rechargeable CR123 batts... it's so bright she'll think it's day not night. :twothumbs

fishx65

Enlightened
Take a look at the new Rayovac 3C Cree ($24.99). Easy to operate, very bright, loooong battery life, Great flood and long throw, two battery options, simple battery change and could be used as a small club. Some hose down the battery tube and 3 AA's really saves weight on this one.

jml90

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, my unlce gave my Grandma (88) a SF Z2 and she loves it the temp on function and my dad gave her one of his old 3D mags to beat anyone who wants to mess with her to quote a country song "She's five feet of concrete"

martonic

Enlightened
How about the new L2T Rebel:

Fenix L2T v2.0

This is a small two stage clicky - fully regulated - takes 2 aa's - the "low" stage 15 lumens (good for walking) has a quoted runtime of 32 hours (!) on nimh - twist the head for a blast of light ("140 lumens for 2.4 hours") - has textured reflector for smooth beam and large bright spill - small, light and easy to carry, includes lanyard etc. - just $44.11 shipped.

Small - Bright - Runtime : choose two : now you can get all three!:thumbsup:

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
How about the new L2T Rebel:

Fenix L2T v2.0

This is a small two stage clicky - fully regulated - takes 2 aa's - the "low" stage 15 lumens (good for walking) has a quoted runtime of 32 hours (!) on nimh - twist the head for a blast of light ("140 lumens for 2.4 hours") - has textured reflector for smooth beam and large bright spill - small, light and easy to carry, includes lanyard etc. - just $44.11 shipped.

Small - Bright - Runtime : choose two : now you can get all three!:thumbsup:

Something like this may be the answer..... I don't really have a budget I was checking out the surefires... Mom isn't behind the times she uses rechargables in the mag. I also really like the amilite T5 as well as the P1-CE cree. She is also an avid boater..... What about the Surfire G2L--are those run times for real?

Also as far as mags go I like them for hosts such as the Malkoff or a hotwire but as an edc....meh! Also appreciate all the great thoughts--I am looking up each light when the search works. I want to get her something that I would be excited to have as well.....after all she is my Mom!

Last edited:

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
I didn't realize the new rebels from fenix will have the reverse clicky.:naughty:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The G2L gives usable light output run-times. Full brightness is probably about half that.

I'd say go for the L2D-CE or L2T V2.0.

martonic

Enlightened
The Ami T5 has a beautiful bright beam, but lacks a good option for rechargeable batteries (though maybe the LiFePO4 don't kill it - not sure about that).

Last edited:

grnamin

Enlightened
I gave my Mom a Fenix P2D Cree and a couple of rechargeable 123 batts with a 100-240v charger for her birthday. CR123 batts are expensive where she lives.

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
What do you guys think about the Lumapower LM303 with a couple of AW protected 3.7V RCR123A's? I like the switch off-low-high-off same as the amilite.