Want to get my first Surefire

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to get a sure fire but every time I look at them they don't appeal to me. Either they have only 1 output, put out under a 120lm for a $80+ light on 2 CR123's (the Quark Turbo X does 450!) or have some stupid UI even with only 2 modes. If you only have 2 modes why switch every time its clicked? Why not run it like a E21 or TK20? and I know there made in the USA but they still seem so expensive for so little, sure there durable but so are Quarks and RA Clickies and those are brighter and have more modes and customizable UI's

I'm not spending more than $200 or so (they seem to jump from $180ish to over $250) If I wanted to do that id save for a SR90. All the G2L's are out, I like the Nitrolon grip but, there not bright enough and I want more than one output that leaves the stratum, G2D, G2X Pro and 6PX Pro

Do these lights use L-M-H/L-H UI or do they have memory, coming on in what you left them in and only switch if clicked rapidly? Are Surefires submersable?

Surefires are made for people who have serious jobs where a reliable light is critical. Surefires design & market for a niche market, they don't really market to people who want what your asking for. Your asking for a light that you can play with, thats not Surefire

Last edited:

Niconical

Enlightened
I just think that $90 for a 80 lumen G2L is a joke. The G2X pro at $95 puts out a nicer 200 lumens.

Yes, it does put out those 200 lumens, for less time.
Surefire don't make every flashlight as bright as they possibly can, every time.

It seems like you think Surefire set out to make the best (in your opinion - brightest) flashlights, but failed.
They were never trying to make the brightest to start with, they are however making the best.

It seems like you're comparing a Quark, a Fenix, and a Surefire, based soley on the number written next to it.
There is a lot more to it, and don't forget, Surefire measure lumens differently, you might be surprised.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get an L1 off the marketplace. IMO, the best overall light Surefire makes. It has a nice two stage tailcap, and if you run it on RCR's, which is perfectly fine for it, it will push out over 200 lumens. It's brighter than the LX2. Still very pocketable. The only drawback is the clip, but you can find a two way clip for it or just use a lanyard.

carrot

Flashaholic
An LX2 will blow you away. With Surefire's unique 2-stage switch, high focus TIR lens, and 200 "Surefire lumens", you'll really "get it".

Tripwik

Newly Enlightened
I use Surefires for the simple fact that I can do anything to it and know that it will still turn on the next time I need it. I work in the US Navy as an engineer so every tool I use has to be able to take a hell of a lot of abuse. With Surefire flashlights I never have to worry that I will be stuck in the dark, even after I just used my light like a hammer! Shhhh..... I am pretty sure I can get mobbed around here for that.

My standby and favorite light is a SF 6P with a malkoff M60, I did just place an order for a Nailbender XM-L though!!!

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
An LX2 will blow you away. With Surefire's unique 2-stage switch, high focus TIR lens, and 200 "Surefire lumens", you'll really "get it".
I'm liking the UI of this thing a lot better than switching modes every on/off cycle.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
I just tried an RCR123 in my L1. It really pushes the output hard. Beautiful, tight beam that throws like crazy. I do not doubt the claims that it is breaking 200 Lumens.

They are frequently for sale on the Marketplace at reasonable prices.

greenland

Newly Enlightened
I'm liking the UI of this thing a lot better than switching modes every on/off cycle.
Yeah, you have in every situation (assuming the light is not locked out), regardless in which mode the flashlight is, with just one action the mode you want. It's a great UI, although you have to get used to the right amount of pressing for the two different momentary levels (but that's not a big deal).

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't call $60-$130 Fenix and 4sevens cheap...

It's a matter of perspective. Compared to some of the premium brands on the market, $60-$130 is cheap, relatively speaking.

I just think that $90 for a 80 lumen G2L is a joke. The G2X pro at $95 puts out a nicer 200 lumens.

It's not always about the numbers. You pay that price because Surefire lights are built like tanks, superbly reliable, and backed by one of the best warranties in the industry. Also, you might be surprised to find that the difference between 80 and 200 lumens probably isn't as significant as you think. There's also the question of need: do you really need a high output light, or would 80 lumens be more than sufficient (which for the majority of people it would be).

ArkAngel

Newly Enlightened
I love my G2X pro the 2 modes are very useful

All my other Surefire's have Malkoff drop-ins because i was disappointed with the outputs.

Build is excellent, i have had Fenix's and Ultrafire's in the past and they are great lights but the finishes are not as hard wearing. Still great lights though.

Oh and you wouldn't regret buying an SR90, they are just fantastic lights!

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
Personal tastes vary. Those that like the SF lights have valid reasons, they are very good lights and the price can be rationalized. Big BUT- there are a lot of really good lights with exceptional build quality brighter light and lower cost with the same reliability. I love my Jetbeam Pro 1 V3 but there are a lot of others with easy UI's like the Zebra Lights. Very well made & good prices. SF 6P was what turned me onto flashlights, I had an SF E2DL but like my Jet 1 much much more, it's smaller, brighter, cost much less & it's survived horrible abuse without a hiccup. Just food for thought. There's a lot more options available to you buddy. If you get a light that you wind up not caring for, you can always sell or trade it here for your next light.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen a chinese made light with exceptional build quality yet. Some are good, but none of them come close to a Surefire. Individual lights may vary, but I wouldn't trust a Jetbeam for serious use. Had my problems with them. Their build quality is not even close to Surefire.

They are fine for everyday, casual use. But I'm not going through a door with one.

wfturnerm4

Newly Enlightened
I want to get a sure fire but every time I look at them they don't appeal to me. Either they have only 1 output, put out under a 120lm for a $80+ light on 2 CR123's (the Quark Turbo X does 450!) or have some stupid UI even with only 2 modes. If you only have 2 modes why switch every time its clicked? Why not run it like a E21 or TK20? and I know there made in the USA but they still seem so expensive for so little, sure there durable but so are Quarks and RA Clickies and those are brighter and have more modes and customizable UI's

I'm not spending more than $200 or so (they seem to jump from $180ish to over $250) If I wanted to do that id save for a SR90. All the G2L's are out, I like the Nitrolon grip but, there not bright enough and I want more than one output that leaves the stratum, G2D, G2X Pro and 6PX Pro

Do these lights use L-M-H/L-H UI or do they have memory, coming on in what you left them in and only switch if clicked rapidly? Are Surefires submersable?

Well it seems like everyone on the forum is answering your concerns.
I have several lights for many manufactures and Surefire does seem to be in a class by themselves.
I spent more on my Surefire U2 Ultra than two of other types of lights
Bottom line is take a harder look at them and you may see what we all have been talking about.
At least the search is fun, right ??

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
...there are a lot of really good lights with exceptional build quality brighter light and lower cost with the same reliability.

You know, I used to tell myself the same thing to justify not buying one of the premium brands. Then I finally bit the bullet and bought an HDS Clicky and realized what a load of bull those excuses were. ;)

Yes, you can find some very nice lights for less money (I'm a big fan of 4Sevens), but there's no way they come close to premium lights like HDS or Surefire in terms of features, build quality, toughness, and reliability.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Originally Posted by precisionworks ...they work 100 times out of 100.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. The switches on them have been known to fail from time to time, and curiously the switch is one of the few things explicitly not covered under the lifetime warranty.
I should have said "The twist tail cap works 100 times out of 100" ... which it does ... the SF clickie works only 99 times out of 100 :crackup:

SF must not know that their switches are not warranty items, as they replaced two for me without question, no charge for either the switches or the shipping. I've read of similar experiences by other CPF members.

If you need a light that comes on with 100% reliability, get a C2 or M2. Popular lights for home defense. Either twist to turn on, or push the button and hold to turn on. I've never read of one failing, and I'll bet my life on my C2.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my other Surefire's have Malkoff drop-ins because i was disappointed with the outputs.

If you can find a 6P, C2 or G2L on clearance, grab one, then grab a nailbender or Malkoff drop-in. You'll like what you see

I've got all of the above per the advice posted here in recent months. Lately my favorite combo is the C2 HA with a Nailbender three mode XM-L dropin and a Z-48 tailcap. I've also got some C3's and 9P's, you can find them new in box for half of retail if you shop around and keep a lookout on the CPF Marketplace Good Deals forum.

I should have said "The twist tail cap works 100 times out of 100" ... which it does ... the SF clickie works only 99 times out of 100 :crackup:

Even the twisties have had issues in years past: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Anyone-ever-have-a-broken-SF-twistie-tailcap

I got a new tailcap for an L2, one of the very few pilots whom I've ever known to carry an A2 said he went through three tailcaps. Seems like there was some fix where you could bend tabs inside the tailcap but I can't really remember.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been spending my cash on some older surefire incans while I can still get them. I recently bought a new Surefire 8AX commander and got a KT5 turbohead for it as well. I'm also in the process of getting a 8NX nitrolon, which I intend on turboheading too. The B90's don't pack alot of punch, but the N5 lamp sure does produce a beautiful perfectly round hotspot, I love it. I think the only other person I've seen have the 8NX+KT5 setup was Al aka Size15's, so it's not a very common setup for sure. Will feel good if the deal on the 8NX goes through for me.

Last edited:

Roger999

Enlightened
Sounds like you don't want one since you're giving yourself every reason why you don't want one rather than the reasons you do want one(except "I want to own a SF"), so don't buy one.