Watch Suggestions.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sometimes, high-end products just don't have what you want....

I'm looking to get a new watch, with specific features. I have had an unbelieveable amount of problems in the past, shopping for watches. During those times I've tried to get a more expensive, better quality watch. Normally when I buy something, I keep it. It has to fail miserably for me to return it.... I've returned every high-end watch I've ever bought.

What I'm looking for:

1 - Quartz movement. It must use a battery.

2 - Nothing with too many complications. I'd prefer something basic. (Numbers on the face, military time next to the numbers, date window, perhaps one alarm. Day of the week window isn't really important to me).

3 - Reliable. Must keep excellent time without me needing to adjust the minute hand every couple of days.

4 - Flexible design. This means that I can swap out the strap or metal band for something more to my own liking. (I've often found a good-looking watch, with a band I couldn't stand.... and couldn't easily swap out).

5 - Durable. Not looking for an expensive, fine piece of jewelry that needs constant servicing.

6 - Price. (Considering the problems I've had finding good watches, I'll be very flexible here).

Any help would be appreciated. Just to give you guys an idea, my current watch is a $55 Timex Expedition. Nothing fancy, but as a watch; it has outperformed all of the high-end models I've tried out. I've got a velcro-adjustable black strap on it. Works better than any other watch band I've tried before.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would look at the newish range of Casio analog solar/waveceptor watches. Once you set them up they look just like a watch with 2 or three hands. well made and designed to charge up on solar light so you will never need to change the battery and self setting so you will never have to set it unless you change time zones.
Casio has plenty of watches in the range to look at all under 200.

I have a Seiko Orange monster I bought they sell them on amazon. No they are not a quartz so it may be out but they are self winding.
They look good they have a black face version. they are HEAVY DUTY not too fancy Just the time and date. Mine has a stainless steel bracelet and it looks great. These watches cost about 180 and they are good for diving...yes really.
Amazing watch for the buck.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EPLR2G/?tag=cpf0b6-20

http://www.caranfil.org/review_skx781_orange_monster.html
You may want to head over to the poor mans watch forums where they talk about all kinds of cool watches.

BTW stay away from the cheap Russian POS watches because they are just that POS.
A really nice watch which I own and keeps the most amazing time is my tissot t-touch. I have the titanium unit which cost me around $300 used on e-bay.
http://www.watchreport.com/2004/12/review_of_the_t.html

I have the Titanium and it is MUCH lighter than the stainless unit.
here is one on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tissot-T-touch-...ryZ31387QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have to say I am extremely impressed by the t-touch it has cool features without having lots of dials and crazy stuff going on. the idea is you press and hold a button for a second then access a whole bunch of features by touching the glass. some how the watch has a second which tells it where you are touching the face and it access the compas, attitude, weather, timer, alarm, so on and so fourth. you would never know this by looking at it. and Like I said it is EXTREEMELY accurate. easily as accurate as my certified Swiss chronometer...maybe better.

I know you are really into the battery thing but the Seiko I mentioned is really worth a look. it is very very reliable and strong. the bartlett is goof looking enough so you will not want to change it but you can if you want to.
If you want heavy duty small, light and accurate and simple go for the tissot in titanium.
Those are my current top two.
Yaesumofo

Yaesumofo

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium. I've had mine, with a titanium case for over 9 years now. Never had it serviced, never stopped running. I wear this watch every day and have put it through all sorts of hell. It has a scratch on the crystal, but that's it. I would buy this watch in a heartbeat again.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm surprised at the problems you've had, if you are talking about quartz watches. Except for the crappiest of them, they tend to be problem free and quite accurate (within 30 sec/month).

If you want a military style watch, countycomm.com has a selection of them. For something more civilian, try Citizen or Seiko.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm surprised at the problems you've had, if you are talking about quartz watches. Except for the crappiest of them, they tend to be problem free and quite accurate (within 30 sec/month).

I should clarify that I haven't had problems with quartz movement, with the exception of one Victorinox watch that turned out to be defective. I have indeed had problems with other types. (That's why I'd prefer quartz movement).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
To: GarageBoy ~

The more I research that line of watches, the more I like it. I'm also considering Luminox as a strong contender. There is also one Nautica model that has caught my eye.

Although I've narrowed down my top choices a bit. I'm still open to any and all good suggestions for a quality watch that meets my needs.

Last edited:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Watches are another of my vices. They are right up there with flashlights, fountain pens and strippers. Er, well, never mind that.

I prefer Swiss and German mechanical watches. But I have a Citizen Eco-Drive perpetual calendar watch that was way under $500 dollars that is a great watch.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wearing a Traser H3 (orange face, blue tritium markers) for about two years now, and love it! Mine keeps excellent time...and has proven itself to be extremely durable through some very rough wear. I don't like digital watches, because if I'm not wearing my reading glasses I can't read the damn things! Also, I'm not crazy about button activated back-lights, so the tritium markers work out perfectly...bright enough to be very visible, but not distracting. I'd recommend a Traser to anyone!

PJD

milox

Newly Enlightened
I have traser black storm for over 6 months now and absolutely love it,
+1 for traser

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Trasers are really good, well finished and nice to wear. I have a Big Chrono and I'm very happy with it:

1080ek7.jpg

But really Citizens are my favorite:

cimg0470rc1.jpg

:wave:

humboldtflyer

Newly Enlightened
I am a pretty avid watch collector, and from what you would be describing, I would have to echo what the others around here have already suggested. Casio g-shock watches are an excellent choice and an even better price. I use one every day for a knock around work watch. Also the citizen Eco-drive is a nice watch as well. Very reliable. Price ranges $200-600 for those though...

bltkmt

Enlightened
I am coming at this from a slightly different angle. I currently wear a G-Shock (GW-500A) and like it fine (atomic, solar, durable, etc). However, I want a watch that I can put on a Zulu band, and my G-Shock cannot, not even with adapters from CountyComm. So I am looking for a not-too-expensive watch that can definitely fit on a Zulu band, that also looks cool. I would be fine with a diver style, but would prefer something akin to my G-Shock with all the bells/whistles.

Any thoughts from my gadget friends?

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Let me put in another whack for the Orange monster, it is an Auto, not battery, but it will never go flat on you...also the tritium on this baby has to be seen to be belived, the watch can have either a metal bracelet or a rubber one, and it is just about bomb proof, day day and date, which is pretty cool...

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pick a Citizen Eco Drive, any Eco Drive

+1 but maybe not any EcoDrive - the Skyhawks have a fairly poor "UI" in my opinion.

That said the Traser Big Chrono has all the features your looking for plus added radioactivity:thumbsup: - this is where my cash would go based on your criteria if you can live without an 24 hr face.

I have a number of excess watches - when you get to a final choice PM me and I'll let you know if I have anything that fits the bill.

Cheers
Hodsta

Wattnot

Enlightened
Yaesumofo (most likely a HAM. Me too) gave you two of the exact recommendations I was going to make.

I've had a Casio G-shock waveceptor for 3 years now. You can't beat this for everything you're looking for. Available in metal or plastic, it charges itself by solar and it sets itself by the atomic clock by radio signal. You should be able to get it on the net for under $100 easy.

I also like the Tissot T-touch because I miss having a digital compass in my watch. Back then the Casio's gave you extra features beyond the compass and they were problematic (the extra features, not the compass). However, I don't know if I can give up the two main features of this watch: no battery changes and it sets itself every day to the exact time.

Some of the other gizmo watches are nice but they're so big it's like strapping a Chips-a-hoy cookie to your wrist. This Casio is on the large size as it is.

Check it out. It fits the bill.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have a number of excess watches - when you get to a final choice PM me and I'll let you know if I have anything that fits the bill.

Cheers
Hodsta

I appreciate the offer. Thank You.

Have not settled on a final choice yet.

Latest posts