What are the actual specs for Folomov Pen L1? Currently listed as same as EDC C1.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I like most about the Sofirn SF02 are the really low ML

I also really like a 0.5 lumen moonlight, as also found on the Folomov C2 (spec was accurate)

I was less happy with the 2 lumen minimum on the Folomov C1 (spec 0.5 was Not accurate)

also agree the Folomov C2 and Utorch S1 Mini are great hatlamp options
I appreciate your real world impressions too

and congrats on the growing family :)
Im also a grandpa, gives me great joy!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just by observation, the SF02 ML appears to be about 1/4 as bright as the C2 ML.

you may be right, we will never know unless you get a meter

fwiw, C1, C2, L1 all claim 0.5 moon, yet they are all unequal in real world, I confirmed on a meter the C1 is 2 lumen and the C2 is per spec 0.5..

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my two today – they were reshipped after I contacted the seller 8/29/19 – they had been returned to China for some reason.

Very 1st impressions right out of the tin: – Very, very dim moonlight. – Very tight pocket clip – the tightest I've had on a pen light. – Mode sequence is LMHML. I was really hoping that it would be LMHLMH as my C2 is. I still don't like the LMHML mode sequence. – I like the beam profile.

The runtime and output specs are the same in the manual as online, so I still don't know what the actual specs are and don't have a way to find out, since I don't have a C1 to compare them to or a light meter.

Nichia!

Banned
I received my two today – they were reshipped after I contacted the seller 8/29/19 – they had been returned to China for some reason.

Very 1st impressions right out of the tin: – Very, very dim moonlight. – Very tight pocket clip – the tightest I've had on a pen light. – Mode sequence is LMHML. I was really hoping that it would be LMHLMH as my C2 is. I still don't like the LMHML mode sequence. – I like the beam profile.

The runtime and output specs are the same in the manual as online, so I still don't know what the actual specs are and don't have a way to find out, since I don't have a C1 to compare them to or a light meter.

Pics please

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still don't know what the actual specs are and don't have a way to find out

as long as the light works for your application, the lumen specs may not be that important

and if runtime specs is something you want to know,
I think you might actually be able to just time the runtimes yourself:)

in any case I hope you enjoy your light

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon_slider,

Runtime specs are important to me, so I may try them myself sometime, but without a meter, I'd have to sit and watch the light continuously to observe dimming.

The output levels don't seem to be higher than advertised, so I'm hoping that the runtimes are nearly twice as long as the C1.

I think I might actually prefer a higher CCT emitter in this light. Maybe 4000 to 5000.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jon_slider,

Runtime specs are important to me, so I may try them myself sometime, but without a meter, I'd have to sit and watch the light continuously to observe dimming.

The output levels don't seem to be higher than advertised, so I'm hoping that the runtimes are nearly twice as long as the C1.

I think I might actually prefer a higher CCT emitter in this light. Maybe 4000 to 5000.

good point that it is easier to observe the dimming with a light meter

since you dont have a light meter, I suggest you check battery voltage instead

when the battery is down to 3.0v, I would end the runtime test

I dont monitor the light constantly, I just set a timer on my phone to check every X minutes, where X is 1/4 of the expected runtime...

eg, if I expect a 40 minute runtime, I check every 10 minutes
if I expect 4 hour runtime, I check every 60 minutes

I prefer 4500k CCT for EDC
I do not use 3000k for daytime EDC, it is a specialty light, that does not actually get used very often.

for me the Warm 3000k folomovs are for simulating incandescent, when relaxing at the end of the evening, car camping, and other times when there is little or no competing ambient light, including nightstand use.

enjoy your choices, congrats on your warm nichias :)

here is a color comparison between my 3000k E21a and 4500k N219b sw45
C9fMXGD.png

and here comparisons to an sw45k, and a couple other CCTs and tints
HTwm1Fw.jpg

I dont use my lights continuously for long periods, so I care more about light color and CRI, than runtime, but I respect that we all have many different ways we use a light, and runtime is certainly a consideration to be informed about.

I dont trust specs at all, if I need a runtime reference, and cant find one online, I have to do it myself.

since there is already a review of the C1
I would just double the runtime expectations with the Pen L1, since the battery is twice as big

maybe someone will post a review to answer you runtime questions
so far you seem to be one of the early adopters and I cant find any Pen L1 reviews to answer your runtime question

I hope you figure it out, and enjoy your lighting choices :)

Last edited:

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received the two that I ordered about a month ago and have been carrying one of them ever since.

It has successfully replaced the Sofirn SF02 in my shirt pocket.

I haven't done any run time tests and probably never will get around to it. I just charge it about once every week or so or after I've used it a lot.

I like pretty much everything about it, except the LMHML mode sequence. I much prefer the LMHLMH mode sequence of the C2 and the new aluminum C1.

It's shorter and lighter than all of my 2 AAA pen lights, direct access to ML or Turbo from off, very nice feel to the switch, lovely tint and beam shape and very comfortable to mouth hold for short term hands-free use.

The ML brightness (dimness) is quite different for the two lights, though both are quite low.