What are the top brands of Chinese flashlights in 2019?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I thought the original question was answered plenty.

It seems the concensus was to stick with the well known brands.
I was kind of surprised nobody said "avoid names like dirtfire or joyefire". I was also surprised Manaker and Sofirm were not mentioned.

Anybody here remember when "Fenix" was one of those new kids? Look at them now.

I was asked a long time ago to be a reviewer for a blog. "We'll pay you for words and pictures" they said. I declined simply because to me a reviewer has to explain things in rocket science terms way above my know how or interest to be viable. And to say fluffy, nice things about a product I would have never purchased myself with buy me now buttons all over the place aint cool.

The way to know what's what these days is not always from reading blogs and definitely that facebook place can be misleading. The threads here at CPF, and other sites like BLF or TFF really tell the story. So as time progresses we will know if those new kids like "wowtach" are for real or just another 'as seen on tv' gizmo.
Now specific genre blogs can tell the story too. Cop sites for example are often sites where a retired or active officer is touting lights they themselves bought and want to brag about. Meanwhile the net is loaded with sites with the term EDC in them with buy me now buttons galore. As soon as I see the first Amazon link in the review I tune out. Does the author really believe in that product?

Another thing missing is largely due to the warp speed progress of technology. A year later follow ups.

Last edited:

banliang

Newly Enlightened
Reylight (Interested in the Triple Dawn Titanium and mokume lan)
Also want to try the Nitecore Concept 2 (C2)

tom-

Enlightened
op, pointing out that all led lights contain some/many if not ALL parts from China is germane to your query-

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think bykfixer pretty much covered everything. And after re-reading I realized I was repeating most of what was said and not as well. So... snip, snip. LOL.

A good point was raised by koziy, that many glowing reviews are all focused on the short term. And you may not see any negativity until much later on a topic here or there (often not followed-up in the original review threads). We're definitely seeing better quality and answers to many requests by people from the flashlight community. The remaining question is, will that extend into improved long term reliability. Who knows? I've seen cheap solder used that is fine for a few years, then degrades. Or PCB boards that eventually crack. Or anodizing that begins to fade or rub off. It would be comforting to at least reach a 5 year stretch and not see any unusual degradation. It used to be that after 5 years, your mid-tier budget light would be sorely obsolete by then. Now? Not as much. The power and efficiency achieved as of late is terrific. And if the PCB can easily support future emitters, then life expectancy is even longer.

I would definitely like to see more "good stewardship" to reviews. That people earmark their content and be sure to come back to it later, with some "real world" time lapse on a given light. We all know it's unnecessary for some key established brands like Surefire, Elzetta, Malkoff, etc. But it'll be really useful for a lot of these newer Chinese companies that are producing what appears to be very innovative and well made light equipment. If it doesn't last, then... useful feedback towards convincing some further improvement.

Last edited:

koziy

Newly Enlightened
op, pointing out that all led lights contain some/many if not ALL parts from China is germane to your query-

Please do continue reading the thread. You're not the first person to bring this up.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
At a night market here a few nights ago I saw a "new to me" Chinese brand - "SOONFIRED." I didn't bother to take the time to pick it up, or test it but you know with a name like that it has to be a winner!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
At a night market here a few nights ago I saw a "new to me" Chinese brand - "SOONFIRED." I didn't bother to take the time to pick it up, or test it but you know with a name like that it has to be a winner!

Should have picked up a bunch, and given them out to co-workers that are the poorest workers.

ChattanoogaPhil

Newly Enlightened
CREE has a factory in North Carolina.

A couple years ago I had the pleasure of talking with Gene. Very impressed with his USA sourced materials and parts. He said that CREE was a question... could be North Carolina or China. CREE would not identify.

I tell myself that mine is NC. :D

23alg69.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Agreed.

But where were those McClikeys made? Rumor has it they begin in China these days. Don was seen railing against the new tariffs on fakebook as it raises the cost of his parts for them.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like Emisar, although their designs only cover a narrow range of uses. The D1 is a fantastic all round pocketable thrower and the D4 & D4S are sweet "hot rod" lights.

Fireflies is pretty new to the game and has several promising designs, but so far has had issues with quality control and my experience with their customer service has been lacking thus far. I can't recommend any of their lights right now, but hopefully they will be a good option once they get their manufacturing sorted.

Lumintop I've heard is pretty good these day but the only design that really appeals to me is the FW3A, which is quite possibly the slowest moving flashlight project this side of HDS.

Zebralight has always been in my opinion near the top of made in China lights for quality, though they are not without their issues. Some of their lights suffer badly from the Cree tint shift but the hi intensity emitters are better. They also introduced an SC64 with Samsung LH351D, I'm sure in part due to comments on here and the other forum about tint.

koziy

Newly Enlightened
A couple years ago I had the pleasure of talking with Gene. Very impressed with his USA sourced materials and parts. He said that CREE was a question... could be North Carolina or China. CREE would not identify.

I tell myself that mine is NC. :D

I hate to sound like a broken record, but being that they are an American company, even if a few or all parts in their flashlights are made in China, Malkoff would be outside the scope of this thread, as I've clarified several times already in hopes of preventing the thread from becoming a "USA vs China" slugfest. :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
So, what you seek is info about lights made by a Chinese owned company or just made in China?

I believe SolarForce is Chinese owned and were pretty popular at one point. I'm not sure if Lumens Factory is a China company as it seems to be based in Hong Kong, but I'm not sure if it calls the US home base like PK Design Lab, Streamlight and others.

koziy

Newly Enlightened
Quote from the first post, "Chinese flashlight companies."

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Wonder, I removed your off topic post. OP keeps asking members to relate posts to his thread topic, and is ignored.

Bill

bykfixer

Flashaholic
"I am going to come out and say this bluntly. I've lived under a rock with regard to flashlight technology for the past 5+ years, and now I find myself inundated by a huge number of Chinese flashlight companies selling similar lights with seemingly too-good-to-be-true specs at too-good-to-be-true prices. I understand that technology has gotten better and less expensive at the same time, but life wisdom says that in any set of goods, quality is not homogeneous. "

^^ First paragraph of Post #1.

I honestly feel like attempts were made by folks to answer the quest, yet the waters are so muddy these days it's hard to simply say what op wants said. PK once sent me a photo of the worlds largest flashlight factory. Inside many well known America and European lights are made right along with Chinese owned companies. So it's all kind of moot, really. It just comes down to what features you want and what brand has them.

Bravo for keeping the Chinese light bashing at bay on this one.

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened
I would put Fenix at the top of the Chinese brands.
I've always been happy with my Fenix lights, at least the older models as I haven't purchased any new Fenix lights in the last 6 years or so. I stopped buying them when they started releasing rubber side-switches, and the UIs kept changing, I like continuity in new models. FWIW my Fenix LD20 has bounced off concrete several times from a height of about 3 meters (I got carried away when I was determined to knock some coconuts out of a tree in a hotel car park), survived with just a couple of tiny dings.

Other than Fenix, I'm not really impressed by any of the other Chinese lights, I especially don't like all the disco modes that they all seems to come with, and the step downs in max output too. I also really don't get all the 10-50 thousand lumens for x mins, with such short runtimes they are mostly just gimmicks.
The other thing I don't like about two 'other' Chinese brands is that they blatantly ripped off designs from both the Foursevens ReVo and the Prometheus Beta QR 1AAA lights, I have read that David and Jason have both confirmed this and were not happy. That kind of thing is unacceptable to me and the companies that did this should be shunned.

Last edited: