What Are Your Favorite Pet Dog Breeds?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ty for the complimates on my dog.he is my buddy he was runt of litter .lol he was scary small.he is agreat dog, i love all the pics posted so far.you all have good dogs

leng

Newly Enlightened
357, Thanks for the compliments.. he's a lil monster but I luv him anyhow... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CaseyTan

Newly Enlightened
f993cf3d.jpg

this one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
English%20Springer%20Spaniel.jpg

Our Maggie looks alot like this. The temperment of our English springer Spaniel is so much better than our buff Cocker spaniel that we used to have.

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I really wish I could post a pic of my dog Zeus.He is a freak of nature and is a Great Dane.When I say freak I mean as in un-usually large.The last trip to the vet for shots found him to weigh 232 lbs.
I have to use a belt as a collar as his neck is almost 28 inches around.
I very much love this dog but he is getting old(11 years) and this breed does not usually live past 7 or 8 years.
To me this is a great breed as they are smart and naturally gentle to be so big. Just something about those big old eyes and loving look they have.
Very loyal companions are the Danes but they do not realize their great size.Zeus will often try to climb in my lap and it is not very comfortable to have a 232 lb dog on you.
I have a great picture of him but can not get it to post.It shows him standing up with his feet on my shoulders.He is easily over 6 foot when standing and I can barely fit my arms around him.
I like all breeds of dogs but the larger ones seem to be the best for me.The only downfall is the age limit or lifespan.

03lab

Enlightened
232 lbs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif If you mail me the picture, I will host it for you.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Robocop said:
I really wish I could post a pic of my dog Zeus.He is a freak of nature and is a Great Dane.When I say freak I mean as in un-usually large.The last trip to the vet for shots found him to weigh 232 lbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one huge dog. I like Great Danes, they are very nice dogs.

The largest dog I've seen in person was 268 pounds--an Old English Mastiff (all muscle too, it didn't look like a fat dog). When dogs get to be this size, they have to be really well trained and under control A 200 lb dog that jumps on people can severely injure frail folks.

IIRC, the largest dog on record (in the record books) was a 330 pound Old English Mastiff. That is LARGER than a female African Lion! Of course, that is extremely large for an Old English Mastiff--the breed standard is about 180-220 for males--and the majority fall in those weights.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
gregw45 said:
One Golden coming up!
fd660b82.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahh, thanks. Great looking dog! Goldens are some of the gentlest and happiest dogs I've ever seen, even while being beseiged by small children. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Robocop

Thanks for posting that pic for me.Sorry it is a little blurry but it was a digital picture taken of a scanned picture.It is clear enough that you get the idea of what I was talking about.
I just love this dog and will recommend this breed to anyone who likes big dogs.

03lab

Enlightened
Robocop, nice pony ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until I get a digital scanner and camera, this will have to do:

henrybeauty2.jpg

I don't have images of MY dogs since I don't have the ability to scan and /or take them digitally. The above picture is just off the web.

I prefer Boxers with the ears natural. I do NOT liked cropped ears--I think it makes dogs look meaner (especially Dobies). The ears down just looks more eye appeasing to me.

Robocop

Boxers are a good breed but I have never had one.I am not sure if I will have another dog after zeus....you just get too attatched and then hate to see them go.
I do like the companionship of a good dog and think any dog person is usually a good person.People think I am silly at times for the way I treat my dog.
He sleeps in the house on his own mattress and usually eats before I do.I have even had a birthday party for him but he does feel like family to me.
I like the picture of the boxer above.The clean lines and stout features make this breed attractive.I think it was the size that first got me interested in the Danes however after owning one I now appreciate the mild temperment as their best feature.
He is definately a lover and not a fighter however his sheer size and looks deter even the most determined attackers.
My ex wife had a rottweiler that was also an amazing dog.I quickly realized that dogs are like kids and if they are raised to be mean they will be mean.Usually any breed can be a good pet if raised and trained correctly.
I remember my ex once brought home a little bundle of hair in her arms and said it was an impulse buy.This bundle was a little miniature dachsund named Molly.I thought I would hate this little breed of dog but after a few weeks I really did love this little dog.
Sad to say when we split little Molly went also.I really do miss the little dog more than my ex.The smaller dogs appear harder to train but are very good at worming their way into your heart.
I guess that all animal people can find good in any breed just some prefer bigger dogs vs smaller ones.
It was hard at times when Molly and Zeus tried to play as his paw was bigger than her entire body.He did not like sharing the house at first but he was visibly sad when she left.He became very protective of her and I have often thought about getting another companion for him.
357 You mentioned you prefer the natural ears over the cut ones.I also like this look and did not go for the traditional look of docked ears on Zeus.I kind of thought it was cruel to do this just for a look.He kind of looks more like a Mastiff but that is fine with me.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Robocop said:
He kind of looks more like a Mastiff but that is fine with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Robocop,

I enjoyed your post very much. I think you have a great dog and you are a great owner.

IIRC, Great Danes are classified as a "Mastiff" type breed. In fact, IIRC part of their breed lineage includes at least one of the Mastiff breeds.

Mastiff as a general term refers to a class of breeds that share common traits and very distant lineage. Most dog books suggest that the Mastiff breeds include Bordeaux Mastiff, Boxers, Old English Mastiffs, Rottweilers, Bullmastiffs, Great Danes, and multiple other related breeds.

When used to describe a particular breed, the full name is used such as "Old English Mastiff".

Mastiff breeds are generally my favorite class of dogs.

And your Great Dane, Zeus, is one beautiful dog. Looks like a real sweet and cuddly dog too. Every Great Dane I've seen up close has been a nice dog. I spoil my dogs too BTW, they get birthday parties, and lots of attention.