What are your Quirks?

Greta

Flashaholic
Re: What are your quirks?

... and there is no 'r' in the word "wash"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/Christo_pull_hair.gif

AlanS

Newly Enlightened

Pronounciation - oh jeez.

When I moved to Nashville years ago, I couldn't believe it when I heard "suite" (as in a bedroom suite of furniture) pronounced like "suit". Is that just Nashville, or is that common throughout the south? And if tell someone you were sitting in the owner's suite at a ballgame, do they think you had great seats or were wearing his clothes?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mangling the English could have a thread of its own. To, too, two, irregardlessLY, its, it's, and...it's a kitchen Sink - not Zinc. Pols and newZ dudes and: at-this-point-in-time. It's either "at this time" or "at this point". There...I feel better now.

Unfortunately I have a terrible habit of swearing up a storm at my PC. Perhaps that's related to my quirk of impatience with some things (but not others).

nethiker

Enlightened

Great thread!

My wife and I have a couple of quirks that I havn't shared with anyone, but given the honesty here, I'll give it a go. When we were dating she told me once that she loved me more. I had a problem with that. You can't love me more, you can only say you love me first. From that day forward, everyday it is a little game to see who loves the other first. The game is usually over the moment we wake, but there are those times when for whatever reason we forget and hours may go by before the first "I love you". The longer it takes the more satisfaction there is in being the first to declare our love. Cheesy? Quirky? Yes, but a fun way to get the day off on the right foot.

The other one is a little more unusual. I'm sure it goes way back to dating and the delema of how to comfortably fart around eachother. I recall the first week of living together was fraught with anxiety about farts until one of us let it rip and the other in that awkward pause simply said "Thank You". Don't even remember who said it first or why? Was it thanks for sharing? Well, every time since, each fart is answered by a polite thanks.

Greg

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

From the "things I've learned the hard way" thread, I always check a public stall for toilet paper BEFORE I need it!

Deanster

Enlightened

On the computer front - when a computer is being extremely balky, I'll break out the System Restore CD-ROM, and just kind of nonchalantly place it on top of the computer, to let it know I really mean business this time.

Sort of a microchip version of 'an offer you can't refuse'...

Amazing how often the things start working right after you do that.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Deanster said:
On the computer front - when a computer is being extremely balky, I'll break out the System Restore CD-ROM, and just kind of nonchalantly place it on top of the computer, to let it know I really mean business this time.

Sort of a microchip version of 'an offer you can't refuse'...

Amazing how often the things start working right after you do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really good.

AlanS

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Deanster said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I love that!

My wife knew a fellow equestrian with a horse who just didn't seem to want to learn anything. So one day he nailed the largest can of Alpo he could find to the doorframe of the stall.

The horse started behaving...

Bradlee

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:
I used to carry three quarters, two dimes, one nickel and four pennies.

Now, I don't play the penny game anymore but I feel a little sorry for them. I like quarters just fine. They do their jobs well. I don't like Susan B. Anthony dollars because they take my quarters. I can't stand nickels. They are stupid and inefficient. I don't like to use stamp vending machines because they return Susan B. Anthonys and nickels. I love dimes because they are efficient and obedient. Throw a couple fistfuls of them in a jar then shake it. They will self-stack better than the other coins so they become worth more per cubed inch.

That's quirky isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Susan B? Anthony Dollars? Is this an American thing? 'Cause I don't get it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

BTW, Happy Birthday IceBreak! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif

AlanS

Newly Enlightened

The Susan B. Anthony dollar is a coin barely thicker than a quarter and just about the same diameter. Hard to recognize by feel when you're reaching into your pocket for a quarter, and you wind up overpaying by 75¢. Cashiers hate them 'cause they don't have a designated place in the till for them.

You almost never see them in circulation, but many quirky people love using them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Susan B. Anthony was instrumental in pushing for equal rights for women in the US.

They honored her by creating a 1 dollar coin with her likeness. It was silver colored and similar in size to the american quarter. It was never too popular. It was easy to confuse it with the quarter.

The new 1 dollar coin also honors an important american woman, Sakagawea. Sometimes her name is spelled Sakajawea. It bears her likeness too. Techinally, she was not American, since she was a native indian. They were not considered people, much less citizens. We had not yet made treaties with her people, nor had we broken them.

Sorry, Sore point.

The Sakagawea coin is gold colored, but not made of precious metals. It's easier to differentiate than the Suasn B coin.

I DO like buying stamps at the post office, since the vending machine will give you Susan B or Sakagawea's for change.

Daniel

Zackerty

Enlightened

Punctuality, mine and others...
Back to wall...
Knowing where all neccesary keys are at all times...
Discipline, mine and others...
Always having a knife nearby, 'cause the voices told me to...
Chili sauce on most meals...

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I haven't been camping in a long time I will eventually get to the point where I can't sleep at night. A couple of nights on the living room floor in a sleeping bag always puts things back in order. My wife just laughs about this one.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

If I'm looking through coins (just now 20's to 70's foriegn) and find one that looks decent, I swab it with 70% IPA on a hanky and staple it into a foldover holder.

It even happens with 2005 coins, if a nice example.

No matter that they will never be worth much over face value in my time.

I've also been known to cajol my 'puter if in a hurry.

This goes along with my other quirks.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I rock all the time including at work and home. Of course my computer chair rocks. When I walk into a room, I try to choose a chair that rocks such as a glider or recliner. Started out as a kid and my mother said I would swing on the swingset for hours at a time as well.

The only time I smell my socks is when I'm really desperate to do laundry and I have to wear a pair from the dirty pile for a second time.

I am not a touching person but I don't mind being touched.

TRC

Newly Enlightened
Re: What are you\'re Quirks?

I don't like crowds.

I don't like when people stand 9 inches from me to talk to me.

I HATE people who seem to think they have to grab me while talking to me. These are ALWAYS people who also stand 9 inches away from me while talking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

One guy at work used to do this constantly, until I got fed up one day, grabbed his arm and, while applying as much pressure to a pressure point as I could, I asked if he'd keep his g*d d*mn hands to himself.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,

When I see people speeding in the left lane , I block them to make them OBEY THE LAW. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif
Note to everyone: This is a JOKE. I am not trolling or baiting.
One of my quirks: dry humor.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just realised one quirk of mine that I should have posted...when I'm at an intersection and there is one of those "Push To Walk" buttons, I always press it seven times in rapid succession, even though I know it only needs to pressed once. And when I knock on a door, I always knock seven times, wait for 30 seconds or so, knock another seven times, etc. until either the door is answered or until I determine that nobody is there. If there is a doorbell however, I only push the button once, wait for ~30 seconds, push it once again, etc.