What book(s) are you reading right now?

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
The current book I am reading is With their Backs to the World - Portraits From Serbia by Asne Seierstad, the same author as The Bookseller of Kabul.

Other recent reads worth mentioning would be The Girl In The Picture - The Story of Kim Phuc, the Photograph, and the Vietnam War by Denise Chong, Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson.

As mentioned above, Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air and Into the Wild were great reads and I too went through a 'phase'.
True Tales of American Life compiled by Paul Auster, Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain. I admit enjoying Michael Crighton novels too :laughing:

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
Just finished "Snowstruck: In the Grip of Avalanches", by Jill Fredston, which was very good. Currently reading "The Bedside Book of Birds -An Avian Miscellany-", by Graeme Gibson, and I can't say I care much for this one. It was a Christmas gift, and so must be read, though. Next will be a re-read of Orson Scott Card's "Folk of the Fringe" stories, since SF is my first love in books. --Bob

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I just finished prey by michael criton. This was my third or 4th time reading it. Which is not that unusual for me, I tend to read the same book multiple times.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just finished skimming "Drywall: Professional Techniques for Great Results." Had to get into it because of a number of patches and repairs that are needed.

So far, the book has given me information to determine how extensive the repair job will be. For example, I learned that drywall, after extensive water damage, will eventually return to its original strength and doesn't need to be replaced entirely. That's gonna save a lot of time and material.

With a little more reading about doing inside and outside corners, I think I'll be able to do the job well.

Paul

morituri

Newly Enlightened
This is what I'm reading right now :

0131467506.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid

Almost finished; it's a fascinating read. Also re-reading a classic:

0345333926.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ringworld

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's too bad that Tom Clancy stopped writing! I love his old books...

I recieved a first-edition, signed Sum of all Fears for christmas, and I love it!

-tom

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lord of the Rings.

Actually, I did about the same thing with Tolkien as Hookd did with Lewis. I read The Hobbit, then LOTR, then the Silmarillion (brilliant but hard going), then moved onto Smith of Wooton Major (possibly my favourite), Leaf by Niggle, then some essays, then some lectures, various stuff on Old English, translations (such as Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl and Sir Orfeo).

I have a bookshelf devoted to Tolkien, which happens to have many many copies of LOTR (all read several times of course). ;)

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
C4LED said:
Poland by James A. Michener.

It's long, but good. One of his better ones.

That was a good book. I read it about two years ago. Had to really work to get into it, but once it got going, it was very nice.

db

Newly Enlightened
Just finished: Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

Just started: Dilbert:Way of the Weasel

In Progress: Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand; Blue Highways - Wiliam Least Heat-Moon

I'm having difficulty staying interested in Atlas Shrugged.
Blue Highways is interesting.

For Sci-Fi fans, I highly recommend Daniel Keys Moran. Out of print and hard to find, but very worthwhile.

Also a fan of Neil Gaiman, Charles DeLint, Louis L'Amour, and Bill Watterson.

I'm looking forward to Christopher Paolini's 3rd book.

I keep seeing reference to Snow Crash, so need to pick it up one of these days..

Last edited:

Makarov

Enlightened
db said:
I keep seeing reference to Snow Crash, so need to pick it up one of these days..
This is actually my favourite book, my copy is so worn I'm thinking of buying a new one... I've read this book at least once a year since I bought it, and recommend it to everyone that want's to borrow books from me.

Neal Stephenson is one of my favourite authors, along with Neal Gaiman, Bruce Sterling and William Gibson.

cbxer55

Enlightened
Book #7 in the Stephen King "Dark Tower" series, The Dark Tower. I started this series way back in 79 when the first book came out. Been reading them as they slowly were released. Just got the last one, still have them all. I am also a Dean Koontz fan and have all his books.

I also like science fiction, but have not read any for a couple years. Gonna have to take care of that soon. 3 years ago we moved from California to Oklahoma. We have been renting trying to find a good house to buy. All my books are boxed up until we have a permanent location.

colubrid

Enlightened
The wrestler of Phillipi

Story about the early church as fictional characters cross paths with actual biblical characters and events.