What did you use your flashlight for today?

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a light to look in a light to figure out how to dismantle it.

I needed to pull the switch/driver from a 4D Maglite so I could move it to my 6.5D Maglite. It has bothered me for a while that a light the size of a 6D doesn't put out >6,000 lumens.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my new hound dog super to light the way on a 2.5 mile trail through the woods near my home. Due to the limited distance and the near freezing ambient temperature, I was able to use the high beam most of the way. What a rush!

redvalkyrie

Enlightened
Off topic--but Ven...I like your home decor. Looks fairly modern. Not what I would expect in the UK. I dig modern decor and my ex-wife hated it. Probably why we're divorced. If you have any other photos you wouldn't mind sharing in a PM I'd love to see them.

Today I used something other than a Malkoff--the world must be ending. I used my Lumintop IYP365 219 to peer around an engine bay. That little pen light is way easier to hold in my mouth than a MD2...or even a MDC 16650.

Poppy

Flashaholic
:)
Thanks for the chuckle! :thumbsup:

Regarding too much weight on the key chain affecting the ignition switch.

My dad mentioned that to me, years ago, and related a story - that was an issue that he had, years before that. Wiggling the key, made the switch gain or lose contact.

I had to replace the ignition switch in my Bronco a few years back. Looking at how they are made today, and at least the last 25 years, I don't think that is an issue any more. The ignition switch is a two part mechanism,:
1. an actual key and lock, that when turned pushes or pulls a slide actuator and
2. a sliding electrical switch.

I think that back in the day when the contact switch, and lock were a single integral unit, too much weight could cause an issue with the switch itself.

I suppose that extra weight on the keys, could put a little extra wear on the locking mechanism, but I doubt that it is much of an issue anymore. OTOH, by time that happens, the key and tumblers may have been used 25,000 times, and may have just worn out.

At any rate, I enjoy sharing stories like this.

Love you guys :)

At my office dweller cubicle a previous occupier had installed a lamp that I suppose was meant to light their shoes?
Well I needed another outlet to charge camera batteries and the footlight was using it. While under the desk down on my hands and knees to unplug the dang thing it was blinding me. So I pulled out a flashlight to light up the recepticle.

It may not sound like much but being surrounded by millenial tree huggers who make their living designing enviornmentally friendly petroleum moving pipelines, they give this guy huge props for always being prepared.
I heard one bearded kid whisper to the kid who wears rubber boots to work "I bet that guy has a multi-tool hooked to his car keys"...

I didn't respond but...

My car keys.

One of these days Ima bring in my ROP and shine it on the kid who claims to be a vampire.

Last edited:

C7N3M T&T

Newly Enlightened
Tn12 saved the day today. Gave some extra light while sanding drywall mud
4802a98b9e4857cbf46697ad4cec9dcf.jpg

Taped it on the rotary sander[emoji106]
e2d55189ec8f9f1b906b124c90e13e6b.jpg

tex.proud

Enlightened
The sun set while mounting a new antenna on my truck today. The Olight S1A Neutral came in handy clipped to the bill of my ballcap. I did not, however, keep me from breaking the back glass. Gotta deal with insurance in the morning. Woohoo!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Heard some strange noises outside so I grabbed my Defiant 3-D 1000lm light and checked the backyard. I didn't find anything, other than some battery rattle in the light.

Hugh Johnson

Enlightened
Last couple of days with my new TN12 (first light I purchased as an enthusiast):
-went snowshoeing at night (175 lumen)
-went trail walking on a dark remote trail just to use my new light (435 lumen)
-ceiling bounce on moonlight to start an early morning (0.4 lumen)
-search the car for a lost item (18 lumen)
-light up the trees beside my place because I could (1100 lumen)
-check behind a dresser (18 lumen)

Incan Maglite solitaire:
-check on the kids
-bathroom run

FuNnYf

Newly Enlightened
When I came back from a soccer game, I've used my Zebralight SC5F to get from my car to the back door.

LedTed

Enlightened
Lat night at about 8:30, I used my HDS 325 to replace a broken light fixture in a closet. Gotta appreciate flashlights that can tail stand.

mfunnell

Newly Enlightened
Took another photo of a brushie:

...using the contraption I've documented in this thread.

Also used the side-light on my Klarus RS20 to photograph a cartoon from one of today's newspapers (I didn't get out to buy the paper 'til after dark; and I find my light less harsh than the on-camera flash).

...Mike

Last edited:

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been traveling light recently and caught needing to inspect inside
of some properties, many without fixed lighting. I thought I was SOL until I reached into my pocket and found this:

54AA64FF-CAC1-4C43-A11A-F60EC812B63D.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

F225D2C0-B0ED-427E-BE26-7B603AC4F0A8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As they say, best [fill in item] is the one you have with you. Toolvn to the rescue in beautiful xpl 4000k putting out up to the 500lumens with awesome reverse clicky to perfectly choose your output level. This light has got to be best output/size ratio light out there! It did the job wonderfully in this case. Moreover, the one big downside of this light being small battery, wasn't so bad after all. After 3 hours of intermittent use at various levels, battery read 3.9 volts on the meter when I got home.

Balance 58

Newly Enlightened
While walking the dogs tonight, went down the drive and used my Jet Beam Raptor to show me our recently staked area for the new garage we are building which allow for the main garage to become a proper workshop.

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
Used my Sc600mk3 HI and my Noctigon Meteor and my Manker E14 to light up my whole house after watching watching too many scary movies. (Lights out, Rings) I think to myself "I love my new hobbie"

tex.proud

Enlightened
Used my H603w to it's max! I ran ti until it dimmed, turned it of and back on again, ran it until it dimmed, ran it until it cut off again... This was a bit of an experience...

IMG_20170206_221723_zpsi61hfhnm.jpg

This is me bonding and grounding the cab, bed, hood, and antenna mount to my frame. Something absolutely necessary for running a CB with a bit of fire in the wire...

I used my Zebralight to it's max! Literally! To it's max until it dimmed, Turned it off and back on, until it dimmed. And again, until it dimmed. This thing gets hot, but not so hot that you can't actually use it. Dammit man! It just kept on working! It would dim...I'd turn it off and back on...It would put out max for another minute!...dim...turn back on...max for a minute...dim...turn back on...this thing lasted me longer than I actually needed it to!I

I was working on my antenna mount for my truck. Yeah, say what you will. I have certain issues regarding my antenna that require attention. As for the ZL...The darn thing just kept working! I can't explain how well my H603w just kept on running. It would dim, and seem like it was dead, but...I'd turn it off and back on...and the thing was back at 100!

The darn things are relentlessly usable!

badpostman07

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. I have a surefire sidekick on my keys that I use for everything. I used it twice yesterday. Once for a not so proud moment. I was at the grocery store and slammed the back door of my brand new Jeep Renegade closed right onto the cart that I forgot to move. Took a nice chunk of paint out. So I used my light to apply the touch up paint at night. Also used it to check my tire pressure in a dark garage. Awesome stuff. Lol.