What did you use your flashlight for today?

varmint

Enlightened
Just getting ready to go check livestock with my Derrelight, we will be shooting a night combat shoot tomorrow night, I can't wait!! I am getting ready to check batteries and pack spares. I am worse than a kid with Christmas toys wanting tomorrow to get here. I plan on using my Olight M20 for handgun events and the Derrelight for carbine and shotgun.

4tified

Newly Enlightened
Used my Fenix LD20 today as a lantern, lights up small rooms perfectly at aroun 100+ lumens ;-)

varmint

Enlightened
Sunday PM shot night combat match with my TN11 loaned another shooter my Olight M20, nothing there would compare with the TN11, many comments on it.
Mon PM checked livestock with Derrelights ASP and XML worked great. One thing I have noticed about the ASP lens is that the darker it gets the better it seems to work, the XML can be seen better in the low light than the ASP lens.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Helped out a few neighbors having issues with cockroaches. Despite light being present, my Lowes Task Force 2C LED model came in handy spotting the little disgusting creatures, and their hiding spots. The giant can of Raid took care of the rest. Maybe I should have gone into the extermination business. I'm a little too good at killing cockroaches. :)

Richub

Enlightened
Used my Fenix HL21 headlamp to check out my bicycle.

Thing started to make cracking sounds last week, and yesterday I had to walk the last few roads home. It turned out that I'll have to completely replace the back wheel as the hub completely disintegrated on me... :mad:
My spare bicycle was already in repair and will be ready tomorrow evening, so I'm a walking man today. Luckily the weather is fine now, lightly freezing with a lot of sun, so I'll just enjoy the walk.

I guess I won't be buying a new flashlight this month... ;)
Ah well, I have 30+ lights already, so I think I'll survive that. :whistle:

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Just used quark x aa tactical on low mode to illuminate an extremely dirt clogged intel cpu fan to clean it up. Was so dirty fan would not move.....

sent from my mob. Excuse misspelling. thanks!

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Been at disneyworld last 4 days...so used my quark x aa a lot. In the hotel room, walking around darker areas of the parks, outside the hotel grounds, etc.
Loved having a flash on me 24/7, and am now definitely hooked on lights!
both my kids brought their new lights too...made me proud!
:thumbsup:

Imon

Enlightened
Helped out a few neighbors having issues with cockroaches. Despite light being present, my Lowes Task Force 2C LED model came in handy spotting the little disgusting creatures, and their hiding spots. The giant can of Raid took care of the rest. Maybe I should have gone into the extermination business. I'm a little too good at killing cockroaches. :)

That's the next big thing.
A flashlight/bug spray combo.
The insectilight.

Richub

Enlightened
I used my two Fenix E21's (neutral & cool white) and LD25 to see which tint I like best in snowy conditions.

It turned out to be the LD25's tint. Cool white just doesn't look right in snowy terrain, neutral is a lot easier on the eyes.

While testing, I also got some serious grief from a white trash guy who passed me by. He got so personal on me, I just left and continued the test someplace else.
Arguing with people like that is impossible: Once you reply, they immediately begin threatening you (or even start beating you up), by lack of intelligence to reply in a normal way... I hate this kind of 'people'. :(

I did not use it for a darn thing! I just played with my Derrelights!!!!!!!!!!
I don't even consider this as usage since I play with my lights all the time. ;)

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
Used my Fenix E05 to look for a tail cap that rolled away from me when switching batteries on my Fenix LD10. The gift set just proved it's value.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The insectifrier, combo flashlight and bug zapper, like a mini tazer for cockroaches.

Cockroaches are like brainless mobs . . . Best to hose down a wide area instead of picking them off one by one.

(And since I know that there will be someone who will horribly misunderstand the above, I mean with temporary spray. Not bullets.)

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
Supper last night was cold Klick sandwiches because one leg of the 120/240 supply had gone out. Even a semi-outage warrants flashlight use, so I checked the panel (118 volts on one side, only 24 volts on the other...never thought to check side-to-side to see if it was 94 V or 142 instead of 240, darn it...) with my trusty headlamp, then stepped outside to check the service mast to see if one of the wires had fallen off. It hadn't, so we phoned Hydro (electrical utility); we were told they knew about it and several customers were affected.

Luckily, most of the lights in the house were on the leg that still worked (bedroom lights only gave a dull glow, but kitchen, living room and half the basement lights were OK). No Internet! The ISDN was plugged into a dead outlet. Upstairs phones don't work because they need AC, but I've got one hard-wired phone plugged in the basement so it was fine. No oven or cooktop, and even the microwave happened to be on the dead leg. Kitchen fridge was OK, freezer downstairs was also on the dead leg. No furnace...luckily, only -10 celsius, we're having an unnaturally warm January this year.

Also luckily, the TV was on the branch that worked, and I brought in a cord to run the exercise bike off a working outlet. I dug out the 3 D MagLED from the kitchen and left it on the table for possible loaning to neighbors. I cautioned my wife that we would likely have all the power off for a while if Hydro had to change out the transformer, which they did. At 9:20 PM, the rest of the lights went out and I went to the back yard to check out the show. We finished our evening snack by the light of the headlamp. I'd passed on my little Ti CA1 to my wife, who clipped it to her blouse in case of need (hers was in her purse on her key ring).

I used the TK70 to spotlight the transformer for my wife...she said she's seen it for years on a pole in the neighbor's back yard, but didn't realize what it was doing for the neighborhood. I later stuck the TK 70 in a couch cushion and bounced light off the living room ceiling.

Hydro had about 5 or 6 trucks including a boom truck...unfortunately they couldn't get the boom truck into the neighbor's back yard (no back lane), so they had to change the transformer "old school". Two linemen climbed the pole and winched down the dead TX, then winched up the new one. The whole Hydro crew had good LED headlamps, as well as flood lights from the trucks.
After watching from outdoors for a bit, we returned to the house and watched through the kitchen windows. My hands were getting cold just holding the camera for a few minutes. Those linemen were *mostly* working with gloves, but I noticed some bare-handed operations were still needed. Thankfully, there was no wind and the weather was abnormally mild.

At 10:55 PM we were sitting in the living room under the TK 70 bounce light when the lights returned. Yay Hydro! Less than 2 hours in the 19th century!

Flashlight related lessons:
- Headlamps are massively useful if you're doing something in the dark (fetching ladders out of garages, looking at rooftop masts, etc)
- The facemelter never got used at full power (except briefly when I was pointing out the TX to the better half)
- Bouncing even 300 lumens off the ceiling was plenty of light for a living room.
- I might have to get a lantern.
- It's good to have tiny lights that can be carried around without too much bulk.
- If Eddy the neighbor had asked, I would have cheerfully loaned him the 3D MagLED.
- Even though I hadn't charged the headlamp for a couple of weeks, there was still lots of light left in the Eneloops.
- Now I can say "Remember that time the power went out and we needed all those flashlights?"

Other lessons:
- The house cools off rapidly; we went from 68 F down to 64 F in a couple of hours without the furnace.
- Even half the regular power supply is a whole lot better than no power at all.

Bill
(If you have electricity right now, thank a lineman!)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Sounds like you had things under control, Kitchen Panda. Nothing like a power failure to make you appreciate your lights, and that we are no longer in the 19th century.

No light use today. Last night I used my new Preon P0 to read in bed. Not bad, but I think I like the Photon Rex better for this job.

Geoff

Latest posts