What did you use your flashlight for today?

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I used my Lumintop Tool to help me shave my beard today. Without a flashlight, I always miss the occasional stray hair.

Tomorrow I'll most likely use my SP40 as an aid for my brother while he works on my PC. The cheap (but effective) generic headlamp I lent to him last time is too throwy and bulky and he can't seem to come to an agreement with it.
[...] When I pulled the plastic cap off the USB stick, it went flying off into an alternate dimension. It's amazing how they can do that.
Very relatable experience. One more reason why I just go with sticks with hinged covers now.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Eagtac P200LR to inspect the outer freight doors into the building, at my 3rd Shift job. Previous shift, I noticed that door was stuck closed. No way to open it. I tried. Something wrong with the lock. Made note of it. Come back the next night, I'm doing my outdoor patrol of the property, when I spot something that looks odd. Normally the rotating door handle is in the 8 o'clock position. But this night it didn't look right. Walk up to the door, shine my Eagtac on it. Definitely in the nearly 6 o'clock position.

I reach for it, and it practically fell into my hand as it came off the door. The innards of the lock bent upwards. It was rather obvious what happened. Some guy (and no I'm not going to pretend it was a woman. There is literally no woman who works in the building who can physically match any of the men, when it comes to strength). So, some guy wanted to get in. Obviously works there. Usually uses that door to get in because the freight elevator is a few feet away from that door, on the inside of it. Elevator stops upstairs directly in front of one suite. Those occupants use that entrance all the time. Keep in mind the main doors into the building, which is always left unlocked, is 15 yards to the right of the Freight entrance door. Again, ALWAYS unlocked!

Dude realized the door wouldn't budge. Probably tried a couple of more times pulling on it. Clearly has anger-control issues because in his final attempt, he sheared the handle and lock out of the door. Bending and destroying the lock. Then, sheepishly, stuck the handle back into the hole he created in the door. Thing is, there's an outside camera there. Also, like I said, only one suite by that particular elevator. So, a U.S. Air Marshall is going to be getting a bill for the repair. Right after the building's owner contacts his supervisor. Literally no one else goes in through the Freight door entrance except those who are making deliveries. And, those guys get let in by building maintenance from the inside. So, if one of them ripped the lock and handle off, Management would INSTANTLY know about it. That didn't happen.

Someone in maintenance did eventually manage to get the door unstuck/unlocked. Funny part is, they had to do something because the outside door had no handle for getting in. One of the guys in maintenance came up with the genuinely brilliant idea that since that door will be left unlocked for the very near future, why not just use one of the extra handles they have for the interior doors used to exit the rest-rooms. Not the stalls, the actual rest-rooms. The handles are integrated stainless steel onto a long rectangular stainless steel plate that is bolted with six bolts onto a door. It's functional. But looks ridiculous on that outside freight entrance door. By the way, since it wasn't in the way, they left the hole beneath the new handle. Hopefully no one mistakes that hole for one specifically created to be "glorious."

Monocrom

Flashaholic
And I thought I had excitement using a probably 20 year old Strion to open a dumpster up earlier today at like 1 in the morning.
Were you dumpster diving? Or, just needed to throw out something that couldn't wait? My elderly co-worker whom I've known at my 3rd Shift job for 11 years does that. But only at the dumpster by work. He finds all sorts of DRY discarded office items that we end up using at the security desk. All of it in perfectly good condition. Usually old black binders.

(Yeah, he grew up poor. Bought himself a brand new Honda Civic sedan around 1993. He just keeps paying for repairs. Which ironically are up there. Realistically, he's done for the rest of his life buying cars.)

When he relieved me in the morning a few hours ago, he walks in with half of a broom-handle he got out of the work-place dumpster. The lower portion is fine. Still has its threads. Top of it is just a broken off wooden stake for destroying vampires. We have a handle-less dust-bin behind the desk. So, we can't use it. He wants to see if the stick will fit the bin. It does! Screws on perfectly! So, I volunteer to take care of the stabby end. Pull out my Gerber MP600 Blade-less model. Use the Rem-grit saw to saw off the point. It takes a long time! Finally, I cut through. Then use the Gerber's file feature to smooth out the top.

Took off 3 or 4 inches. Handle is now on the stubby side (but not the stabby side). But still long enough to be useful with that old dust-pan. Broken handle re-purposed into a short, useful handle. Now we can use the dust-pan. It was oddly satisfying taking two, old useless items and then with just a bit of work being able to combine them into one useful item. But now my Rem-grit saw is covered in fine sawdust that is not coming off! Oh well.

Edit: Typo.

Last edited:

letschat7

Suspended
No I wasn't dumpster diving although I have went trashing before and would obtain laptops, monitors, desktop PCs, and a server back in the day. Fresh install Linux and off to the computer shop to sell them.

I was just throwing trash away and needed to see what I was doing.

Speaking of multitools I used a previously new in the packet Wenger swiss army knife made in 1989 to cut the tag off a silver necklace for a loli. That was a few weeks ago. I'd use it more if I remembered to bring it with me.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Dude realized the door wouldn't budge. Probably tried a couple of more times pulling on it. Clearly has anger-control issues because in his final attempt, he sheared the handle and lock out of the door. Bending and destroying the lock. Then, sheepishly, stuck the handle back into the hole he created in the door. Thing is, there's an outside camera there. Also, like I said, only one suite by that particular elevator. So, a U.S. Air Marshall is going to be getting a bill for the repair. Right after the building's owner contacts his supervisor. Literally no one else goes in through the Freight door entrance except those who are making deliveries. And, those guys get let in by building maintenance from the inside. So, if one of them ripped the lock and handle off, Management would INSTANTLY know about it. That didn't happen.
Wow. Great catch, Monocrom. Someone is taking a trip to the woodshed over that.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Used one of my old Convoy S2's (not S2+, the S2 is an old model replaced by the S6 and arguably S8), and later my Lumintop Tool, to troubleshoot the bobbin assembly on my mother's sewing machine. Took some doing, some squinting at the parts and how they fit together, and unfortunately three ruined needles, but I got it working again.

Mind, I know practically nothing about sewing machines. What helped me the most was the gun breakdowns on Forgotten Weapons. The principles of parts fitting and the movements in mind are surprisingly similar.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Tried to do a good deed at work during the wee early morning hours. Right around 1:30am....

Patrol vehicle that has nothing to do with me, was parked in the wrong company reserved spot. Happens to be the one used by the building's chief engineer. He's an easy-going fellow. Happy smile on his face whenever I see him. He likes me. Let's keep that happy smile on his face. So, I go to move the security patrol vehicle of ours to its usual designated spot. Yes, I know where the keys are and have access to them.

(For clarification, it's our vehicle. Doesn't belong to the client. I have a valid driver's license, and obviously I work for the same company it belongs to. So yes, I am Authorized to drive it. Though usually prefer not to because the interior is not a place you want to park your backside.)

Notice the low tire pressure warning light is on. I think nothing of it, but immediately realize it's not just low but completely flat! Thankfully its designated spot is just a few feet away from where it was left. I slowly feather the vehicle over to its spot. One side of its designated spot is marked off as an area with No Parking allowed at all. So now if a tow-truck is called in the morning, the driver will have plenty of room to tow it out. Or, plenty of room to safely inflate the tire.

It then hits me.... I have an inexpensive battery-operated tire inflater in the trunk of my car. Along with charger, and a large battery in a Rothco Mechanic's bag. Plus, I get along well with the guy who'll be coming in, and has no clue he'll have to deal with a flat tire. Pull out my Powertac saber 2AAA penlight, highest setting. Looking for that puncture. Can't find it, can't see it. Okay, maybe just a deflated tire. Let's give this a try. Toss the light in my mouth so I can see the valve cap. (Quickly realize for some bizarre reason all four are missing.) Quick-connect on the tire inflater. And about 8 minutes later, I've got her up to 35psi. I disconnect, and immediately hear a loud hissing sound. Just to be sure, I check the exposed valve. Nope! Not coming from there.

Soon enough, tire is flat again! But at least now I know that there's a serious issue and major puncture in the tire. I can brief the driver when he arrives to work. And yes, just to be sure nothing went wrong, the light was in my mouth the whole time. No worries, I don't lend that one out to anyone.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I had to meet a service tech at work tonight. He was out on the street and having trouble finding the right entrance to the building in the dark. I called him and told him to watch for a strobe light, then I walked out front and hit the strobe mode on my PD-36R. He spotted me right away.
Yes. I've used a strobe a few times for similar reasons. They'll make you stand out in a crowd of thousands, in a heart beat.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I had to meet a service tech at work tonight. He was out on the street and having trouble finding the right entrance to the building in the dark. I called him and told him to watch for a strobe light, then I walked out front and hit the strobe mode on my PD-36R. He spotted me right away.
Yes. I've used a strobe a few times for similar reasons. They'll make you stand out in a crowd of thousands, in a heart beat.
While the defensive use of strobe is questionable at best, its attention-drawing properties are spectacular and undisputed. There is no better way to signal your position to someone (with just a torch) than using strobe.

billysharpstick

Newly Enlightened
Not today, but around '88, I was working at a newspaper. I had to go into walk-in darkrooms, change film, screens, fix plumbing, etc. They were, by definition, pretty dark. I invented the first LED flashlight that year. I took an old plastic AA light, removed the bulb, modified one of those Radio Shack 500mcd jumbo red LEDs with a plug of wood so it was shaped like the bulb that came out of it and had the first LED flashlight on the planet. First I ever saw, anyway. I waited for green and eventually blue LEDs to show up so I could make a more or less white one. Never did accomplish that. The real white ones arrived by then. We've come a long way, huh? Tomorrow, (I'll post about my granddad's torch.)