what do you look for when buying a flashlight?

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
I don't know exactly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
If it's a led flashlight and if I like its design or its Hi-tech features, I buy it to add it to my collection... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I know I am not normal, because I don't use my lights often, but I like to see and touch them every days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love throwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww . i mean i love shineing my light and seeing how far i can see. i also like multi levels cause then i can put it on low if i need longer run time.i like it to be as small as posable to

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Quality in construction and materials and excellence in design. If the light is LED based, I want constant current to the LED or safe input voltage where the LED will be below designed max current and at least two levels of output. I want simple and straight forward access to the output and no need for an owners manual( SF U2 and Night Ops Gladius are good examples). If the light is of a fixed beam angle, I prefer the combination of spill and spot from a reflector over the typical singularity of most optics. Since I have so many lights, I don't want the nusance of rechargeable batteries unless the light is a power hungry light that is too expensive to feed otherwise; HID lights come to mind.

I get to make most of the lights I want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Unfortunately, the light I really want is one that I'll never make and it has yet to be offered by any manufacturer. There is always hope though.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really have a checklist. In recent months, I've been turned on to everything from Mag85's to Orb's CR2 Raw. They don't have many shared traits, except that they are things while let me manipulate my environment. One to light up a car or a dog or a wise guy at 200 yards, and another to help me sneak into my kids' room at midnight. Its all about controlling things which would control you if you let 'em, I think. Same reason I like knives and guns.

There you go.

best regards
me

sniper

Enlightened
First, reliability, works the first time, every time, for a long time.

Second, good run time-- it can be bright as the ****ens, but if only for a short period of time, it is less useful than it should be. Disasters, and need of light don't always resolve themselves within the 60 minute to 1 hour 35 minute (+ -) run times of the most revered lights, which makes them useless after about 1 1/2 hours without battery resupply. Just one more thing to worry about. Few of us have an agency to supply our batteries. The high-zoot batteries could become unavailable. Back up(s) are worth considering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

Third, fairly reasonable cost, both for purchase and subsequent battery/replacement parts. If you buy a $150 light, It's fine, but what happens when there are no more of the specialized power sources to be had, or the light becomes hors d'combat? 4 lesser $24 lights plus a slew of batteries and incan bulbs might be more practical.

Fourth, availability of bulbs, and specialized spare parts. One popular light module replacement is $17. Not a lot, but if you don't have it... Nobody locally carries bulbs for my Streamlight 3C Twin task light. I have a supply of extras, now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

But, on the other hand, the flashlight hobby is more useful and affordable than some others you could name, and more fun, IMHO. It is unlikely society will come to an end any time soon, so whatever lights your lamp will probably be fine for the foreseeable future! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

rgc

Newly Enlightened
What do I look for . . . a quick way of escape when my wife finds out.

rgc