What do you with your outdated LED lights?

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
It's not an LED light, but do you all think that a 10-year old Surefire 3P is outdated and what should I do with it?

Hugh

That's most definitely outdated. I'll take it off your hands!

P60 dropins will fit.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a NexTorch (2 x CR123) with a 3w Luxeon LA rated at 60 lumens, which looks about right. I was going to put something brighter in, but when I removed it, it's a really heavy, well made module. I don't know if that's typical of P60 style Luxeon modules, but I decided to live with it because of the apparant quality.

I also have a couple of Mags (3 x C and 4 x D) with LED dropins that aren't too impressive (around 100 and 140 lumens) which I'm seriously considering giving away to family. I might one day get a 2 x D/C Mag with a really good dropin, but otherwise I'm done with big flashlights.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an LED light, but do you all think that a 10-year old Surefire 3P is outdated and what should I do with it?

Hugh
That's a dangerous light, who knows what they used to make in back then.

Definetly send that one here for proper disposal. :whistle:

oldpal

Enlightened
That's most definitely outdated. I'll take it off your hands!

P60 dropins will fit.

I'll bet you would take it off my hands. But seriously, would using a Malkoff M30 dropin detract from the 3P's value?

Hugh

s.c.

Newly Enlightened
I'll bet you would take it off my hands. But seriously, would using a Malkoff M30 dropin detract from the 3P's value?

Hugh

dropins are not permanent; they are easily reversible with no ill effect.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Mod, mod, mod, mod. Some lights can get double the output with only a simple emitter swap!

If you are going to lose yourself to this hobby then learn to solder.
Get an iron and some solder.
Buy a few optics and reflectors in various sizes.
Get a few LED's of each type.
Hang around the homemade and modified section to learn about putting stuff together.
Pick a few drivers you'd like to try.
Get some good heat transfer compound too.
Use the hell out of the search function.

Before you know it you'll be buying older lights for cheap on the marketplace and making top notch lights out of them and using them with pride.
It's possible to generate some cash doing this too. ;)

BBnet3000

Newly Enlightened
i still use "outdated" lights. (oh no! a lux 3!!!)

i like actually getting use out of the things that i own. i dont want "shelf queens" or wasteful/throwaway lights

i will eventually mod my coast LED lenser to take whatever LED is newest at the time, and find a way to put a lithium battery in it. i also havent decided whether to put a p4 or a p7 in my maglite yet.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny thing... I recently bought an outdated head, brand new!, to put on one of my E1e bodies... a KL4! :duh2: I'll blame that partly on being something of a newbie. I thought I might send it off for a mod, but since decided that with an RCR123 it gives good floody light for indoors use, so I decided to spend the mod money on another flashlight instead. :shrug:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Upgrade! MagLED to SSCP4, novatac with crappy blue emitter to U2SVOH, 1st gen fenix P3D and L0D to R2 (although the result wasn't nearly as impressive as previous two), dollar store 2D and 2AA plastic light with direct drive 3x5mm LED array.

Come to think of it, the only light I have right now that wasn't upgraded is an eagletac, since it came with Q5 to start with.