What if you could only have ONE general use flashlight?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could only have ONE light it would be the HDS U85GT but I found a loophole.
It would have a custom made 2AA HA-III body that I would carry in my Ripoffs CO-47F holster loaded with 2500mAH NiMH batteries. Put the HDS on my keychain and when I need to use it for long periods of time, on goes the 2AA body. I prefer to keep the light in a holster to easily get at it so HDS on the keychain and 2AA configuration at work or under heavy use.
I could get away with just one light as long as I could run two bodies and have variable output.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxman said:
Hmm....from the lights I currently have...It would be the Ultimate 60 with the U2 at a close second..

Ditto for me -- U60 then U2 (or maybe vice-versa -- it's very close). If not confined to what I already have, it would be the HDS EDC U85.

simbad

Enlightened
It would be my U60, the light that allways is in my front right pocket with a PVC waterproof tube containing two spare 123 cells.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
:mecry:

If I must choose only one, it would be any hard anodized 2x123 Surefire E-Series body, Hex Bezel with Pyrex lens, MN02 Lamp Assembly, and Z52 LOTC. Black or Natural HAIII. Colors don't have to match. I prefer Surefire's SF123A batteries, for multiple cell flashlights. I prefer the short pocket clip, with this flashlight, unless I want to use a lanyard.

K.I.S.S.

Actully, I have many of the above. Plan to pass them around the neighborhood, if there is a long term power outage.

oldgrandpajack

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My one general use flashlight would be one of my VIP's setup for 50mA low, 400mA medium and just under 1 amp high. These mA's to led. This general use light would have the option of three different size heads, two different size bodies, and the ability to handle primary AA's, nimh AA's, and CR123 cells. I might change my mind and pick MR Bulk's Chameleon when it arrives.

Bill

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
Thats easy, I'll keep my Surefire L5 Lumamax. I call it a L5 Lumamax. Some people call it a C2 with a KL5 head. I call it a L5 Lumamax. Same differnce though.

Last edited:

rabbit

Newly Enlightened
One light in each pocket?! I thought to qualify as a flashaholic one must have at least 2 lights at any one time!
Pocket 1 = E1L, Pocket 2 = QIII, Pocket 3 = L2
Bag = T2

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
MxLux PD. runs great on Li-Ion and primary, tiny, tough finish and construction, nice throw and spill on high and plenty of light on low for general tasks and walking on trails(40+ hours of it too), nice clip, super nice reflector, and the 580ma high setting is just PERFECT between runtime and performance.

Nick

SolarFlare

Enlightened
Any hds "u", if ya gonna depend on a light there is only one. and at the moment this is it... any of the ultimates. It knows what battery its using, Its got multiple levels and its got international standard distress codes pre-programmed. It will kill the cells you use if it needs to, instead of just turning off!. If you can have only one light, then there is only one light, and it is an HDS "U" edc theres no argument, nothing comes close, it does it all. I'm sure all the other suggestions are great, but if ya stuck at the bottom of a scree slope with a broken leg and loosin blood , and conciousness ya big beam won't do ya any good after 20 minutes. slap ya HDS on SOS an it will pump that signal out for days. Only one light? HDS "U" series can't be beat. If anyone disagrees ..... then tell me why?

Last edited:

Babo

Newly Enlightened
I'd keep my modded four foot flourescent. Not much in the
throw department, but the spill is awesome.

A tad large for pocket carry, but it is an energy saving champ.

Right now, we run it off one 12 volt DieHard which we tote in
a cutom modded backpack. The light itself is carried in a kydex sheath that runs the length of our strong side leg for quick deployment. Makes us walk stiff legged, but doesn't draw too much attention when we wear our full length duster and Toby Keith style hat.

pfmedic

Newly Enlightened
I think that if I had to have just one light, it would have to hold this criteria:

medium sized (will fit in the glove compartment with a sandwich)
Powerful: about 70 or so true lumens
flavorful balance of spill and throw.
will run on an easy-to-come-by cheap battery. That means NOT a 123.
Luxeon so I dont have to buy bulbs like some models. :whistle:
Waterproof to a certain degree.
perhaps something with a dual mode beam?
upgradeable parts.
sleek, sexy, black.
reputable company (w/ good customer service) that isnt going to go under
competitively priced under 100USD

if you find that light, let me know.:ironic:

lightlust

Newly Enlightened
I once asked the old police sergeant who lived next door (and had been victorious in many shootouts), "What's the best gun you can carry at all times, but still be good enough to beat the bad guys?" I expected to hear him praise a particular pistol or caliber, doubtless compact yet powerful.

The old sergeant looked at me in the same way I believe I'd look at a drunken weasel wearing polka dot pajamas and riding a tricycle in church, singing a flawless "Ave Maria" in a soprano squeak as his furry little weasel legs pump the pedals.

After a good long motionless stare, the old sergeant took his ever-present cigar out of his mouth and held in front of his face, turning it slowly as he examined the glowing red tip. My eyes followed this action, and it was only after he put it back between his teeth I saw the little 38 caliber snubnose revolver he'd neatly palmed out of his waistband with his other hand. The .38 was pointed at the nearby wall, closer to his cat than me, but he had me cold and I knew it. I never even saw that other hand move. It was like some kind of deadly, magical sleight of hand.

A long pause followed. When he spoke, I realized I'd been holding my breath.

"The best gun," he growled slowly around the cigar, "is the one you have with you, kid."

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Regardless of make, model, runtime, or lumens of output ... I suspect the same truth holds for flashlights.

In a world where even the pitiful glow of a cell phone screen is a bounty of light in pitch-black room, enough to walk by, the only flashlight that matters is the one you've got with you.