What is missing?

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
Oh, did you mean these with longer body to take 2x26650?
Normally, C tail refers to $urefire Z41 type/thread size.
Anybody else interested on 2x26650 M head with McClicky tail cap?
Almost same voltage of MB20 (~7.4V) and huge capacity of over 5000mAh, Slimmer than M6 and dealing with 2 rechargeable cells.

What you just described would be wonderful.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[SIZE=+2]Anybody else with new incandescent host ideas?[/SIZE]

Host with a decent incan driver?
I think I helped mostly beat the idea to death here, but since I missed this thread, and since you are asking, perhaps the request could be satisfied: incan modes with increased runtime of lower modes, and done without utilizing migraine-inducing PWM, i.e. w/ CC or PWM so fast the filament doesn't have time to wiggle even as much as residential AC lighting. Add softstart and regulation, and you're a miracle worker. Squeeze it all in a non-weaponized E-series compatible tailcap, or just give us the internal hardware to fit in z52/z54 or z57/z61, or a proper incan driver in a bipin socket just like like Tad Customs E-socket, and you become legend. I would at this point even be perfectly happy with a control ring for smooth brightness adjustment, or QTC. Naysayers balk at underdriving lamps at non-ideal efficiencies, but I don't care how warm the color gets when full brightness will blind my dark-adapted eyes.

So I think it would be pretty neat to have a boring and subdued-style fitting 18mm single-cell E-series compatible host with modular momentary/twisty tail that can pump incan close to 500lm, direct and at full brightness, but with lower modes for more runtime, at a yellowy 15lm, or 2%, and another in the lower middle at less yellowy 120lm, or close to 25%, lower modes regulated for constant brightness, with users' programmable choice of whether to start LMH, or HML, or whether to have mode memory turned on or off, and also with a low voltage cut-off to save our precious cells from overdischarge.

Cool thread. Thanks for asking. I like to dream.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about an e-series, single-cell (generously-internally-sized-17mm) extension so that we could run an A2 aviator off of 2x16500 IMR cells?

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I helped mostly beat the idea to death here, but since I missed this thread, and since you are asking, perhaps the request could be satisfied: incan modes with increased runtime of lower modes, and done without utilizing migraine-inducing PWM, i.e. w/ CC or PWM so fast the filament doesn't have time to wiggle even as much as residential AC lighting. Add softstart and regulation, and you're a miracle worker. Squeeze it all in a non-weaponized E-series compatible tailcap, or just give us the internal hardware to fit in z52/z54 or z57/z61, or a proper incan driver in a bipin socket just like like Tad Customs E-socket, and you become legend. I would at this point even be perfectly happy with a control ring for smooth brightness adjustment, or QTC. Naysayers balk at underdriving lamps at non-ideal efficiencies, but I don't care how warm the color gets when full brightness will blind my dark-adapted eyes.

So I think it would be pretty neat to have a boring and subdued-style fitting 18mm single-cell E-series compatible host with modular momentary/twisty tail that can pump incan close to 500lm, direct and at full brightness, but with lower modes for more runtime, at a yellowy 15lm, or 2%, and another in the lower middle at less yellowy 120lm, or close to 25%, lower modes regulated for constant brightness, with users' programmable choice of whether to start LMH, or HML, or whether to have mode memory turned on or off, and also with a low voltage cut-off to save our precious cells from overdischarge.

Cool thread. Thanks for asking. I like to dream.

I agree with you. Hosts and other hardware are not an issue any more. Proper driver is what we are missing. Too bad Jimmy and AlanB are not in this business anymore...
FM do you have the power to influence those guys to continue and maybe expand with their drivers?

1pt21

Enlightened
I agree with you. Hosts and other hardware are not an issue any more. Proper driver is what we are missing. Too bad Jimmy and AlanB are not in this business anymore...
FM do you have the power to influence those guys to continue and maybe expand with their drivers?

Ditto!!!

Unfortunately I must say that I reached out what must be at least 2 years ago by now, and all the replies I got were along the lines of the demand just not being there (at least to make a run justifiable). I seems that I can count on one hand those of us that are still interested in everything incan :shakehead

At least I got my boy BykFixer always proving to me that I should never give up hope! Patience will eventually pay off...

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto!!!

Unfortunately I must say that I reached out what must be at least 2 years ago by now, and all the replies I got were along the lines of the demand just not being there (at least to make a run justifiable). I seems that I can count on one hand those of us that are still interested in everything incan :shakehead

At least I got my boy BykFixer always proving to me that I should never give up hope! Patience will eventually pay off...

I forgot where i've posted a reply but eventually i got in touch with AlanB. He still has a bunch of regulators still in pieces and needs to be assembled. He's in other business now and not willing to do this work but he's willing to sell it whoever has interest to complete the regulator. Maybe if we could found someone willing to restart this project we could get the wheel start spinning again.
Glad to hear there are still folks who appreciate good old stuff.
And i hope we won't be patient for too long.

UPDATE: spoke to Alan today and there could be possibility for his regulators to see sunlight again. The thing is he's quite busy but there's a chance to sell it as as a semi-kit which will require some skills to be completly assembled. There won't be programming (but there's a thread where everything is described in details and really straight forward). It's still a thought but if there's enough interest we could do something. I belive there are some guys who are more into electronics stuff so chance for upgrade or changing design for multiple hosts could be possible.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Minimoog did a thread at one point where he showed how to add a regulation to some of his really really really old lights.

He has done some cool threads. Not much traffic in them, but some of his ideas are epic old school ways with modern parts n pieces.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimoog did a thread at one point where he showed how to add a regulation to some of his really really really old lights.

He has done some cool threads. Not much traffic in them, but some of his ideas are epic old school ways with modern parts n pieces.

Can you provide some links? I couldn't found anything. I think it's related to my poor computer skills...

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, I have no ability to make such a driver. Seems like no one even wants to make it.

So I think it would be pretty neat to have a boring and subdued-style fitting 18mm single-cell E-series compatible host with modular momentary/twisty tail that can pump incan close to 500lm,
500 lumens from a single 18650? I haven't seen such an incand bulb. It is possible to custom make but cost will not be friendly.

What about an e-series, single-cell (generously-internally-sized-17mm) extension so that we could run an A2 aviator off of 2x16500 IMR cells?
E tail is not compatible with A2 but possible to make extension tube for A2
Problem is explained
here.

I am sure making such a driver shouldn't be a problem. Possibly, too little profit is not make anyone to do it.

Last edited:

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really missing a single cell AXIAL G2 bulb for the 1794 host. At the moment I am using a 3D mag replacement bulb there, but it is very underdriven. Wouldn't mind having AXIAL bulbs from 10lm to 500lm.

konifans

Enlightened
21700 battery is popular these days. So my dream light is
2 x 21700
G4 / G6.35 bi pin socket installed
shallow reflector

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have bought a number of your more powerful incand hosts, fm, if you had replaced those tailstanding tail caps by some smooth ones. Those sharp "legs" do not resonate with me at all. There must be a reason while D maglites and M6 do not tail stand.

Speakin of my current wish: my most cherished incand hosts are those 2x18350/3x18350 for 1794/1499. I would love to have a 1x18350 or 1x18500 version to run a 3D mag bulb. at the moment I am using a 5D bulb with 1x18650, but this host is too big for a low lumen setup

Last edited:

tuelleric

Enlightened
A Maglite 2C with sleeve and bored Tailcap should be able to accomodate 2x 21700. This is what I plan do do since month now, I only do not have the time. However, a dedicated 2x 21700 body, which is compatible with SF C or M series heads, would be great!

konifans

Enlightened
A Maglite 2C with sleeve and bored Tailcap should be able to accomodate 2x 21700. This is what I plan do do since month now, I only do not have the time. However, a dedicated 2x 21700 body, which is compatible with SF C or M series heads, would be great!
I do not think 2C will be long enough to take 2 x 21700 even the tail cap is bored? For 2C, 2 X xx650 is possible.
For 2 x 21700 protected and unprotected the 3C is perfect.
I have 3C using 2 x 21700 Lifepo4 (2400mah), Philips 5761 (6V 30W), orange peel reflector. The beam is perfect!
It is also possible to use 2 x 21700 protected Li-ion cells (Keeppower R series) with Philips 7388 (overdriven). Beam is not as good as 5761 but the brightness is close...

tuelleric

Enlightened
You are right, 2x 21700 in a 2C Maglite will not work with the stock switch. You would need an electronic switch, probably not worth the effort.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightsaver miser is a hot stuff these days. FM would you be able to replicate something like this switch for your mods?
Unfortunately, I don't have electronic knowledge for that.
Anybody else can and willing to do this?

==========
21700 battery is popular these days. So my dream light is
2 x 21700
G4 / G6.35 bi pin socket installed
shallow reflector
Is this like M4 body and tail cap but slightly longer and fatter to fit 2x21700 batteries with built in G4 bi-pin socket? 2x21700 Megalennium-B?
==========
my most cherished incand hosts are those 2x18350/3x18350 for 1794/1499. I would love to have a 1x18350 or 1x18500 version to run a 3D mag bulb.
Anybody else for 1x18500 version of these?

You can also use this body with 3.7 Volt bulb.
==========
You are right, 2x 21700 in a 2C Maglite will not work with the stock switch.

These will add enough length to 2C M*g for pair of protected 18650 cells but since 21700 protected cells are about 75mm long, you will need either 3C M*g or add "C" extension to above tail cap.

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
Still I miss something you already did:
- a 3X 18650 body for the SF M6 head (which is also applicable to the various heads Lumens Factory has, to be combined in ONE super-flashlight!)
- I would like to see another run of MN to bi-pin adapters
- I would like to see another run of PR to bi-pin adapters
- And.... those gorgeous 6AA -> 2D and 9AA -> 3D adapters!! Yours were simply the very best you could get, period...
- something like a 2X 26650 light, M*g style, simple, with standard PR-based switch, as an "improved standard M*g". This is SOOO good! I have your 2.5D M*g and that's one of my most used lights. I can have a lot of different setups in it.

And: super bulbs like 7.4V / 1.2 Amp and 11V / 1 Amp G4 for some lower lumen / long runtime setup. This gives roughly Surefire C3 brightness, which is MORE than enough for 99% of all applications....
I only have a WA 6V / 0.64A bulb that takes the overdrive to 2 cell li-ion and still live 40 hours, but the next is a 2 Amps Lumens Factory bulb... and any other is ABOVE 2 Amps. There's a huge gap here, I tried to source bulbs like this but never succeeded...

Last edited: