What is wrong with my Nitecore Infinity Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dadof6, I have the email address for you to send your inquiry

[email protected]

I assume that NiteCore are a relatively new company, and will be keen to make a good impression on you. Quite often, the newer companies go out on a limb to help you out, whereas older, more established companies become complacent. Just take a look at Maglite for instance. Because 99.9% of the population are ignorant of the cutting edge in lighting technology, Mag will sell them lights equipped with emitters that are 2-4 years out of date. And why will they still sell plenty? Well, because their reputation itself causes sales, so the complacency is to not give their deserving customers emitters that are only 6-12 months old.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is probably nothing wrong with your light.

I had trouble with mine, too, until I learned how to use its interface. It isn't all that tricky. The instructions just are lousy. Try these suggestions:

1. Loosen the head to get the light into user defined mode.
TIGHTEN the head COMPLETELY and loosen QUICKLY to get the light to ramp in the user defined mode. Repeating this operation gets the light to ramp in the opposite direction. Click the light off as the light is ramping to select the light level you wish to remain in memory in that mode; when the light is turned on again, provide the head is loosened, you will get that level again and again until you change it.
2. TIGHTEN THE head COMPLETELY and leave it that way for at least a second. The light will switch into HIGH mode. Now TIGHTEN COMPLETELY and QUICKLY loosen, and the light will strobe. Repeat this operation and you will be back in steady HIGH.

The most common 3 mistakes:
1. You don't recognize which mode you are in before doing a TIGHTEN/QUICKLY loosen operation. Unexpected results will happen since this same operation accomplishes different things depending on which mode (User defined or HIGH/Strobe) you are in. Remember, you are always in user defined mode if the head is loosened for more than a second. Even if the light is extremely bright, and the head is loose for a second, you are in user defined mode; the light is just set at the high end in the user defined mode. REMEMBER, when the head is tight for more than a second you are always in HIGH mode.

2. You don't tighten the head completely or don't loosen the head quickly enough after tightening in order to get the light to ramp or switch to strobe.
3. You don't wait long enough after tightening or loosening to let the light switch between the 2 operational modes.

Practice makes perfect.

greenstuffs

Banned
Exactly how do these xeonophobic generalizations help anything? The only purpose they serve is to call attention to your own closed mindedness and trollish behavior.

Oh gimme a break, stop calling people that disagree with you troll. You should know better.

So Please..come on and grow up now. :shakehead
I knew this WWII veteran who would never buy a japanese car, does he need to grow up? We do not need to grow up just because we have certain preference in this case dislike against foreign crappy goods.

Last edited:

e2x2e

Enlightened
Can you guys just give it a break? I'm one of the biggest SF fanboys around, and you won't catch me trashing threads. I've had several things made in China that are very good quality...Including lights. And I've also had quality issues with things I've purchased that were made in the USA. And...oh...btw....Our precious SF's may be made in the USA, but not everything in them is..ie:..emitters, electronics, etc. Better just throw those parts away guys. :ohgeez:Do you know how many SF clickies I've had to fix or replace? I even had to send an E1L back to be replaced because the tint from the emitter was such an awful puke green. Don't you guys hate it when people who like other lights trash our SF threads? The reason SF gets picked on so much around here is because of people with bad manners like you. The OP came here for help...and all you can offer is immaturity. So Please..come on and grow up now. :shakehead

Thank you for a good reasonable post. I like Surefire a lot, and I love their philosophy. No, I don't own any Surefires yet, but I will as soon as I can(I'm in school). I also like Chinese made lights. They offer the latest in technology for unbeatable prices. I don't bash Surefire or make snide generalizations about Chinese companies. When I first came to CPF I didn't understand many things about Surefire, including why they seemed so expensive to me. I made a thread and many things became cleared up for me. I now think that Surefire prices are very reasonable.

Lastly I think that what Outdoors Fanatic and greenstuffs have done is extremely inappropriate. The original poster asked a question, and I am assuming he wanted an answer? Yes, I think he wanted an answer and not for his thread to be turned into a Chinese vs. American flashlight battle. If you don't have anything productive to add, don't add anything. If I came to every thread about a malfunctioning Surefire and said it was problematic because it was a piece of overpriced crap...I'd probably be banned. But you(and others) seem to do the same for other flashlights without intervention by moderators.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wasn't telling you to grow up because of your preferences in what you buy. I was telling you to grow up for trashing a thread that wasn't even asking you for your preferences. The OP was asking for help with his product....NOT what you thought of his product.

I knew this WWII veteran who would never buy a japanese car, does he need to grow up? We do not need to grow up just because we have certain preference in this case dislike against foreign crappy goods.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Oh gimme a break, stop calling people that disagree with you troll. You should know better.

I didn't call anyone a troll, I just said that trashing a whole hemisphere of the world for no particular reason other than uneducated xeonophobic ideals is trollish behavior.

Choosing what you want to buy and from where is your decision, but trashing the decisions of someone else crosses a line.

You can dislike whatever you want, but I don't see why dadof6 needs to know about it.

Exactly!!

Brigadier

Enlightened
"Can't we all just get along?" :poke:

king_rodney.jpg

DM51

Flashaholic
I think that what Outdoors Fanatic and greenstuffs have done is extremely inappropriate. The original poster asked a question, and I am assuming he wanted an answer? Yes, I think he wanted an answer and not for his thread to be turned into a Chinese vs. American flashlight battle. If you don't have anything productive to add, don't add anything.
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Outdoors_Fanatic & greenstuffs, any further behaviour of this sort by you will earn you time off.

Please stop the bickering and get back on to the topic.

momonbubu

Newly Enlightened
What's wrong with it? Not made in USA...

As long as i remember, this forum is not AMERICAN ONLY flashlight forum. This is global flashlights lover forum which the members came from different nationalities and have their own preferences about flashlight.
So PLEASE dont be a hardheaded and start playing like an adult. Dont ruin this thread to another US vs. non US flashlight bashing.

To the OP. Please try all the suggestions that fellow CPF's gave you. If that doesn't work, just msg .Mrs. Wong at EDGETAC manufactur's corner in CPFM. Im sure she will resolve this matter. :wave:

Cheers mate.
Giandi

Last edited:

Dadof6

Enlightened
Wow! I did not expect a lot of what developed in this thread. I only wanted to know how to make my light work better. I bought the light because it seemed to merit the purchase. I appreciate that people love their respective countries, I love mine, but I have lived overseas enough to know that people everywhere have good ideas.

I am not a person who suggests the purcahase of a flashlight only because it is or is not from a certain country.

Instead, I am the person who strongly suggests the purchase of flashlights.

Thanks to all of those who have valuably contributed, good luck to those who want to broaden their horizons.

Dadof6

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! I did not expect a lot of what developed in this thread. I only wanted to know how to make my light work better.

. . .

Indeed. Sadly, this thread did totally go wildly astray. But even so, despite that, you did get some good responses.

IN GENERAL:

The LED flashlights forum is NOT the forum in which to discuss the whole "Made in USA" vs. made in China issue, or any other charged, political issues. It is specifically for discussing flashlights.

So please let people draw their own conclusions about the larger issues at play, and stay focused on the lights and light related topics as much as possible.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
That reminds me, I still haven't had a reply from Surefire USA regarding the crack in my Pyrex window. 24 hours now :rant:

Sorry, that was a little out of order. Just received an email from Surefire and, credit where it is due, they are sending out a brand new bezel to me. I'm guessing the time difference does not really help.:oops:

Dadof6, I hope your Nitecore gets sorted swiftly, hopefully it is just a cleaning contacts issue. Enjoy :thumbsup:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry, but i cant believe outdoors woudl post such blatant baiting/trolling, and green would support him...
:faint:
thats all i will say....

@the OP, i was wondering, do you fully understand the UI of the NDI? its kinda complicataed at first, so i wouldnt blame anyone for not getting it...there was another guy who didnt like it cos of its "complicated UI" but started liking it after watching WadeF's video..i myself watched the video while my NDI was in transit...and when i read the instructions, knew i woudlnt get it if not for the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daFqQjRYgMs

maybe edgetac shoudl include a mini vcd/dvd with thier lights, or at least a link to the youtube video..

if you did get the UI the first time, then i would probably contact edgetac..:thumbsup:

hope your problem works out..:eek:

Crenshaw

Last edited:

FrankW438

Newly Enlightened
I watched that video before I bought my NDI. I didn't really understand it until I got the light in my hand. The user interface is quite a bit different from most of the lights I've seen, and I wouldn't blame anyone for not understanding the instructions.

I've had a little trouble from my NDI also. I have the user mode set to the lowest possible level. The past two mornings, user mode has magically switched to high. When I try to switch modes, or put it in strobe, nothing happens. I just get high mode. I've tried cleaning the contacts and changing the battery. After 5-10 minutes, I finally get it to work correctly.

Per advice I read here, I used some Deoxit on the threads. I didn't get the paste/cream form of Deoxit. Instead, I got these little pressurized cannisters. It really seemed to help with switching modes. This morning when my NDI was acting up, I noticed a little bit of clear liquid inside the head. I cleaned it out as best I could, and things started working properly. I think I got a little too much Dexoit on my threads, and it worked its way into the circuit. Since Deoxit is supposed to be a conductor, and not a dialectric, I think it had shorted out the circuit.

Does this sound like a reasonable explanation? Has anyone else experienced this?

-- Frank

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if youre not alreayd doing it, make sure you do at least a quarter turn of the bezel to change modes, etc. Also, lube it with sillicon grease, even on the threads,, just not too much.

other then that, probably best to contact edgetac..

Crenshaw

lyrrag

Newly Enlightened
What was the original Question again? I forgot looking at all the other posts.

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened
I would just add a note to that - if the head it tight after lubing it, you may need to try a thinner o-ring, file down the o-ring a little, or try a different lube altogether.

When the head is tight, it can be difficult to change modes properly and you experience unexpected behavior.

I originally tried a lube with teflon the first time, and it simply resulted in a tight head. Changing the o-ring out helped, and lubing it with Nyogel 760G solved everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts