What is your favourite Flood and Throw Pairing?

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
No fair. I responded to the thread title:

The point, despite qualifications, based on your questions, there is no right, wrong or best reply.

...................:grin2:

Is this postmodernism? :D Then don't worry, as long as your truth is that you won then you are a winner! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had known it was a competition, I would have stayed out. I always lose. :mecry:...Whine.

Yeah, me too Mr. Quack. No, not a competition at all. I just noted lots of great replies but not many had followed the exact parameters! Don't mind at all though. Nitecore is definitely speaking my language! :D

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
So let's see, what is a combination of very similar flashlights (in size and batteries) with one giving throw and the other flood? Hm....

How about...the same thrower light plus a diffuser! (I don't know how many posts I have on this theme, and yet people just don't think if this particular solution for some reason).

So for a small flashlight, pick your favorite EDC 1x123 flashlight with a standard 1" head that is throw-biased, and you can use the very light Surefire F04 diffuser to turn the throw into a flood. I do this with my McGizmo Ti-PD-S, it would also work with the HDS (if it was sufficiently throwy for you).

For a medium size form-factor, use your favorite 6P Surefire compatible host (either bored to use 1x18650 or not, according to preference) plus a throwy drop-in (Nailbender XPG-2 with smooth reflector works very well) and it can use the larger size Surefire diffusers with a spring, so you can switch in a one-handed operation between throw and flood.

So for both of these sizes, the diffuser option is MUCH easier to carry and very effective in giving you both throw and flood. Not to mention lighter, less expensive, etc. than carrying 2 (or 4!) flashlights.

For the larger sizes you'd have to investigate the largest available Surefire diffusers and see if they can work with the size reflector that you have in mind.

Taz80

Enlightened
For my small lights/ work edc I use an M10 and H502.
For medium lights/ dog walking and hikes my current favorites are the RS30 and MH27.
On the rare occasion I carry a large light, Its usually a LD60 with a diffuser.
I also use a G25C2 with a screw on flip up diffuser and a FD40 on a regular basis.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
422b66b0e434a6a8f61b00b62fc1ef75.jpg

I only carry one light with me for EDC and I don't think anything else comes close to the versatility for a Tri-V at this size.

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
422b66b0e434a6a8f61b00b62fc1ef75.jpg

I only carry one light with me for EDC and I don't think anything else comes close to the versatility for a Tri-V at this size.

Wow, KuanR, I've never seen anything like that. I wouldn't take that to the airport if I were you, unless you want to know what a full body search is. [emoji15][emoji1]

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, KuanR, I've never seen anything like that. I wouldn't take that to the airport if I were you, unless you want to know what a full body search is. [emoji15][emoji1]
Haha I've carried this with me on to every flight since I've had it, it's been with me all over the world now. Comes in handy when the cabin is pitch black during trans Atlantic flights

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flood: That's easy to choose: Thrunite TN36UTvn cw domes on. This light is the most monstracious in the two and a half inch reflector diameter category. This is my current nighttime edc light. Maximum brightness of the flood beam in its head diameter category, enabled by 13,400 lumens, is what I like about this light.

Throw: I don't need to see small stuff far away, so currently my best thrower is the Noctigon Meteor M43vn XP-L pdtc. I like the green tint on trees and other foliage, instead of blue tinted foliage, and of course, I just absolutely love this flashlight.

Better for throw for me would be the Acebeam K60, when I am ready to add larger head diameter lights to my nascent collection.
I am posting again for a second time, in this thread, to update after nine months.

Big:
Flood: Fenix TK75vnX2Q70 dome on. Throw: Acebeam. X65Vn. Use frequency: Both at the same time, frequent, every night, 90 minute, hilly, brisk walk.

Medium: Use frequency: Occasional. Flood: P60vn quad XHP35 16 volt, 4*18350 body. Throw: None, yet. Will be a single XHP35 Vn something.

Small: Throw: None. Flood: Olight S2 Baton.

Thanks KITROBASKIN for linking this interesting topic. :) Sufficient amount of months have elapsed to warrant getting this interesting topic updated with new items that we got. :)

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually only carry one light, in addition to my keychain light, so don't really have a two light combo.

But does my SF AZ2 count? Flood? Check. Throw? Check. Pretty darn good dog walking light. At least that's the cover story. Usually, when it goes out with me at night, it's paired with a Glock. :)

SG Hall

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am posting again for a second time, in this thread, to update after nine months.

Big:
Flood: Fenix TK75vnX2Q70 dome on. Throw: Acebeam. X65Vn. Use frequency: Both at the same time, frequent, every night, 90 minute, hilly, brisk walk.

Medium: Use frequency: Occasional. Flood: P60vn quad XHP35 16 volt, 4*18350 body. Throw: None, yet. Will be a single XHP35 Vn something.

Small: Throw: None. Flood: Olight S2 Baton.

Thanks KITROBASKIN for linking this interesting topic. :) Sufficient amount of months have elapsed to warrant getting this interesting topic updated with new items that we got. :)

Medium thrower, maybe the new T21vn fits the bill? Or the U21vn? XHP35/drivervn means multi cell from memory.

As for a small thrower, not many around besides the discontinued TX25Cvn that really throw. Feel free to educate me though. [emoji4]

phoenixcatapult

Newly Enlightened
I would carry :
1, HDS edc rotary with 200lm high CRI(not arrived yet:ironic:)
2,M6LT 1200lm(always loaded but few chance to use due to its size)

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
For medium sized lights I have been using an Eagletac G25C2 Mk II for everything for the last few years and have been happy. After looking at newer offerings I just ordered the new SX30C2 XHP35 HI to be my thrower. I think it combines a compact body and head not much larger than my G25C2, and with over 1400 ANSI lumens and 600 yards of throw it is way up in brightness with almost double the throw. I am probably going to order an Olight R50 Pro to be my medium flood light, as the size and weight are outstanding for a light capable of so many lumens (it peaks very high at 3200 lumens, which is nice, but can sustain 1500 lumens for 10 minutes and 1000 lumens for almost 2 hours).

Latest posts