What lights are in your bug out bag?

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe I sounded a bit more harsh than I intended too.

I can absolutely see the benefits of the folding saw, and because of that, I'm probably going to pick up the very saw you recommended :)

Obviously we'd like to have both, but I'm on the knife side if only one was an option.

It is a great topic for debate.

And go! Lol.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
u7u5e6a9.jpg

Courtesy of ven, a small hydration pack containing tk75vn killerthrow, mm15vn, loads of backup cells, spare V11rvn and esee junglas with magnesium rod hidden. By far a survival bag, but nice if just taking a trip to the woods at night.

Could remove tk75vn to make room for the real essentials

300WSM

Newly Enlightened
They do look very useful. But If i need to baton a log, slice a trail, dress game, I think I'd want a regular blade. While the saw would be great for falling the tree, splitting, not so much. So I don't think it's the "cool" factor, that determines ones tools. Just efficiency. But don't get me wrong, for many things, that saw would be extremely effective, and sometimes safer, but I would always choose a "cool" straight blade if I'm in a survival situation.
However, because of treeguy, I think ill be picking one up too :)
It sounds too useful to pass up.

I was thinking about the baton aspect as well, but I guess the idea of sawing through the log instead of grabbing my trusty Wetterlings ax and chopping away had somehow escaped my mind even though I was quite possibly carrying in my hunt pack the tool to do just that! It took a true lumberjack like Treeguy to cause the light bulb to go on. I used to when I was young saw wood with a crosscut with two people. The first thing you learn is you cannot push cut (or least not very effectively) a crosscut. It is pull only and you and the guy on the other end of the saw soon learned a timing sort of teamwork thing if you wanted to cut anything. Thanks for the input as well Tmack. I think I will get the Stihl saw. That way it is freshly sharp and good to go.

Tmack, I like the small pack with the Junglas... I think that it will work well for what you will use it for. The thing we have to watch for here in Montana is critters that can hurt you (cougar, rabid coyote, wolves, in some areas bears). Nice to have the Junglas. It's not my 12ga with slugs or my 300 mag but it's better than trying to beat them away with a stick you picked up off the ground!

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Never seen or used one in real life. (Though I have a crap load of old chains, so maybe I could make one.) I'm sure for some limited tasks it might be perfect, but for most things it would be a pain in the azz.

The hand saws we discussed a short while back, from my experience, will handle any job that chain thing could, and all kinds of jobs it can't.

Again, I've used all kinds of hand saws, and treated them badly indeed. This one is far and away my favorite: http://images.alanwadkinstoolstore.co.uk/images/products/zoom/1340010483-41981600.jpg

Cheap, tough, cuts like crazy, and only cuts on the pull, which I much prefer. If I was stuck in the woods, forget the axes and knives, give me one of these things and I could build a cabin, harvest my firewood, and cut my dinner. Not fancy, not cool, but probably the smartest tool a person could have.

I've seen those chainsaw blades in "upscale" survival kits, and wondered about their utility. As I mentioned, the Fiskars pruning saw is in my SAR pack and like your folding saw, it is PULL only. Back in the day.. I used one of those cheap cable saws, and it didn't take long to break it. They are probably better snare traps than they are saws. I suppose that the advantage of one of those chain saw blade pocket saws would be to cut down higher limbs if you found yourself in a scenario with three feet of snow on the ground, and high dead wood. You could tie some paracord to each handle, and with a monkey's fist toss one over the limb you want to cut down.

Treeguy

Enlightened
I've seen those chainsaw blades in "upscale" survival kits, and wondered about their utility. As I mentioned, the Fiskars pruning saw is in my SAR pack and like your folding saw, it is PULL only. Back in the day.. I used one of those cheap cable saws, and it didn't take long to break it. They are probably better snare traps than they are saws. I suppose that the advantage of one of those chain saw blade pocket saws would be to cut down higher limbs if you found yourself in a scenario with three feet of snow on the ground, and high dead wood. You could tie some paracord to each handle, and with a monkey's fist toss one over the limb you want to cut down.

I was thinking the same thing because, to be honest, that`s one of the precious few jobs I could see for that thing. The problem, though, is this: if the branch has any weight to it, it will crack and bend once the top cut get deep enough into the wood, and when the branch bends, there is a very good chance it will pinch the chain in the cut with as much as half the cut still left to get through. This happens all the time. The way to avoid it is to make a shallow undercut on the branch a bit closer to the trunk than your top cut. This will make the branch snap off more cleanly instead of just bending down and ripping until it falls. We call it a "climber`s cut". The chain-doo-thingy won`t allow you to do that, so there is a real possibility that in short order the chain will be stuck in the branch over your head. And at that point you start swearing.

This is a climber`s cut. It also helps avoid the branch ripping down and pulling the bark off the tree. That`s bad for the tree and it looks terrible: http://scni.media.clients.ellington....jpg?8aff03de2423e912a2467e97388a07f5331c05b6

Poppy

Flashaholic
<SNIP> there is a real possibility that in short order the chain will be stuck in the branch over your head. And at that point you start swearing.

LOL... you don't know me well enough.

I'd have been swearing a long time before the saw got stuck.
:whistle:

I was thinking that it might get stuck, but having no experience with it, I really didn't know. I guess you would have to stick to smaller branches.

Treeguy

Enlightened
Fun time. :)

Picked up a new handsaw today. ($27) My old ones are dead. Anyway, went out back, found a dead balsam, maybe 16`, and attacked with the Stihl handsaw.

Less than ten-minutes from first to last cut. I think that puts the efficiency question to bed.

001_zpsa08793a6.jpg
002_zps777cbf9b.jpg

Illum

Flashaholic
Everything! Lights was just the title for forum purposes.

My bail out bag...theres for main parts all stuffed in a black CamelBak HAWG. Decided to take inventory today

Maxpedition edc pocket organizer
+Personal identifications, passports, medicial documents, etc in a ziploc.
+1 Zipties
+1 Bic Lighter
+1 BernzOMatic micro torch [I forgot why this is here, but it probably has a reason beyond s'mores and shish kabobs]
+1 County comm CR123A Delrin battery holder [currently holding antihistamines]
+1 "Rite in the rain" notebook
+1 Ultra fine and chisel tip sharpies
+6 Grocery bags. Folded. [The kind that's clear/transparent and found beside the onions and greens in any grocery store, I use these to hold water as well as makeshift sanitation bags]
+6 EZ Compressed Towel pills.

Tin can
+1 Small Bic lighter
+1 Fenix E01 with extra Lithium L92 battery
+10" worth of Twist ties
+2 Latex gloves
+1 Whistle
+4 sting relief pads, 6 antispetic towelettes, 6 alcohol prep pads. 4 2"x2" sterile gauze pads, 1 3M Micropore adhesive tape
+6 "Wet ones" Antibacterial wipes
+$100 in $20s rolled up and tucked in a homemade battery carrier.
+1 Superglue [mostly for shoe repair]
+1 Sewing kit
+1 Tweezer

Tools
+1 Walmart "Winchester" multitool [mostly for the pliers, this is a spare, there is usually one on me]
+1 Coghlans folding scissors [this is a spare, there is usually one on me]
+1 14" Condor "Eco-Survivor" machete [Currently has the 18" but eventually for the BOB I'll get the shorter. this is a spare, there is usually a 18" on the car]
+1 SAK Champion multitool
+1 two 50ft roll of 550 paracord, florescent green and florescent orange
+1 Divemaster xenon strobe light. [Made to run on a single C battery, currently runs on a energizer L91 in a carrier to save weight and increase shelf life, this is a spare, there is usually one on the car]
+10 "Sandwich" Ziploc bags
+1 Regular sized hand towel
+3 Pairs of white shoelaces
+1 Pair of rubbergloves
+1 Roll of gorilla duct tape
+1 homemade sheet of phrases inspired by Fodor's manual of BASIC SPANISH PHRASES
+2 75 gallon trashbags [they are pretty well suited to sleep in. Its going to feel muggy all night, but at least you won't die of hypothermia, and it doesn't attract any attention while keeping everything try]
+2 Repel 1oz Insect Repellent

Food [honestly the only thing I need is water and a fighting direction for the first two days]
+6 Nature valley Grain bars: Cinnamon and Honey Oat
+3 packs of Quaker granola [The kind thats designed to mix into milk, but cold water works fine]
+2 Earl Grey tea bags
+1 vial of sea salt/pepper [remember 35mm film cans?, works well]
+1 2L bladder for water]
+1 Stainless Steel Mess Kit
+4 sets of plastic silverware, doubles as tinder

Lights
+1 Fenix E01 Top zip pocket of the backpack, its a last ditch light
+1 Surefire G2 with EDC Plus / IS X60L3 Triple LED P60
+1 Surefire L4 with MC-E mod [Just a spare, I usually have one on me, its been my EDC of choice for years]
+1 Quark Mini ML High CRI
+1 PT aurora 3LED

Underwear drawer [Basically a small tupperwear case on the bottom of my backpak]
+2 Pairs of Socks
+1 Extra pair of whities
+$300 in $20s stuffed in an envelope
+1 Glock 19G2 [Again, its a spare, theres another Glock 19G2 in the car and a Keltec PF9 on me]
+2 extra 9mm 15rd mags [Nothing fancy, 147gr FMJ]

Em-Comm [Nothing yet]
+1 Iphone 4S Cellphone
+1 homemade battery pack/converter that can charge my iphone twice from 10% to 100%.

Last edited:

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened
My EDC Swiss Army knife has a saw similar to the Stihl handsaw mentioned earlier. It cuts through wood very well for its size.

I use an Aquamira filter straw in my BOB. It is a backup to the chlorine dioxide treatment drops, though.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd like to suggest that you may have added the mini torch as another means of starting a fire, perhaps in the wind.

You might add a pencil to go with your write in the rain.

The crazy glue may also be a part of your first aid kit for laceration type wounds. You may want to add some "blood clot".

The thin quart sized bags that are a part of your kit, can be used outside of a clean pair of socks, but inside a pair of wet shoes to keep your feet warm and dry.

Wet feet are NOT fun.

My bail out bag...theres for main parts all stuffed in a black CamelBak HAWG. Decided to take inventory today

Maxpedition edc pocket organizer

+1 Bic Lighter
+1 BernzOMatic micro torch [I forgot why this is here, but it probably has a reason beyond s'mores and shish kabobs]

+1 "Rite in the rain" notebook
+1 Ultra fine and chisel tip sharpies
+6 Grocery bags. Folded. [The kind that's clear/transparent and found beside the onions and greens in any grocery store, I use these to hold water as well as makeshift sanitation bags]

Tin can

+1 Superglue [mostly for shoe repair]

Food [honestly the only thing I need is water and a fighting direction for the first two days]

+4 sets of plastic silverware, doubles as tinder

Poppy

Flashaholic
My bail out bag...
+1 Iphone 4S Cellphone
+1 homemade battery pack/converter that can charge my iphone twice from 10% to 100%.

Here's something I know VERY LITTLE about.
But when my son does some multiple day hiking, he leaves his power thirsty smart phone home, and brings his blackberry instead.

Let's assume that we'll all have our EDC cell phones, I think that it would be a great idea to be able to recharge it at least once, from a battery pack, but what do you think? Would it be feasible to carry a not so smart phone in your bug-out-bag? Do they typically give longer run-times, or require less energy?
Just a thought.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely. I remember before touchscreen, Internet etc, my phone would last for well over a day. Now my smartphone is dead in a few hours.
I have 3 external batteries. 2x5000mah and 1 14000mah, and I always can rely on my solar pack.
But yeah, if you can, that would be a good idea. Most companies don't offer a sim card anymore, so you can't interchange phones, but if you can, or have a little prepaid, it would be helpful.

Illum

Flashaholic
I'd like to suggest that you may have added the mini torch as another means of starting a fire, perhaps in the wind.

You might add a pencil to go with your write in the rain.

The crazy glue may also be a part of your first aid kit for laceration type wounds. You may want to add some "blood clot".

The thin quart sized bags that are a part of your kit, can be used outside of a clean pair of socks, but inside a pair of wet shoes to keep your feet warm and dry.

Wet feet are NOT fun.

Heh, nope. The mini torch isn't capable of self ignition, there's no piezo element in it, nor will it stay lit in the wind. It somehow found its way in there probably from the last camping trip, which did perform well for s'mores.

Good idea on the pencil, there's a ton at the house, but never made it into the backpack. Crazy glue stings like crazy for laceration wounds, I typically use iodine around the cut and apply a non-stick gauze pad over the wound, bound with duct tape. Wading through water on a hike with a wound on your feet is not fun, but iodine and frequent change of dressings saved my butt plenty of times. Someone suggested a Disposable Sterile Skin Stapler, between a suture kit and that... sure, I'm not there yet :)

There's no end to the uses of plastic bags, I'm surprised to have not seen more people use them in their BOBs, they weigh nothing, takes up no space, and anything improvised to block out water could use it, from water containment to improvised waders.

Oh no, wet feet are not fun. Learned that the hard way.

Let's assume that we'll all have our EDC cell phones, I think that it would be a great idea to be able to recharge it at least once, from a battery pack, but what do you think? Would it be feasible to carry a not so smart phone in your bug-out-bag? Do they typically give longer run-times, or require less energy?
Just a thought.

heh, funny you mention that. My old samsung flip phone could last 2 weeks on one charge, but the family decided to migrate to these fancy doodads and I've considered buying a prepaid phone for the BOB, but the need to take it out for its intended purpose is few and far between. For my purposes anyway, I assume the disorder is localized, and that cell reception at minimum is stable enough to receive feeds, navigation by cellphone is not compromised, and I can check the weather to stay one step ahead. All this burns power, but 72 hours is only 3 days.

While it is not part of my BOB at the start, everything on me would become an integral component the moment I grab the bag and go. Its meant to be compensated by my BOV [bail out vehicle] so power is not an extraordinarily huge concern. An SUV, even when disabled, makes one heck of a nice shelter.

Treeguy

Enlightened
Here's something I know VERY LITTLE about.
But when my son does some multiple day hiking, he leaves his power thirsty smart phone home, and brings his blackberry instead.

Just a thought.

Good point.

I use a years-old cheapest-in-the-store POS Nokia that pretty much just rings and dials. But... with a full charge it will run for a loooong time. No USB adapter though, just off the wall socket.

Problem with the smart phones is all your power is being used to light the fancy screen, and not going to its primary function of just being a tele-o-phone.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Treeguy,
I'd strongly suggest that you get a car charger for your cell phone. You can ebay one for just a couple of dollars. You are more likely to need it stranded in a dead vehicle than at home, but even at home in a power failure, you can recharge it from your car/truck.

Treeguy

Enlightened
Good idea. I have a car charger and a battery pack for USB devices, but nothing for my POS flip phone. I guess I could charge it off the generator while running the fridge or a heater, but a car charger would be a smart thing to have. And/or a USB thingamadoober to charge my POS phone off a the car or battery pack.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Oh... another point. I know, that I am NOT the ONLY person, who doesn't know/remember the phone numbers of many people that are saved in my phone. A card with phone numbers land/and cell numbers, made water-proof by covering it with clear tape on both sides, will help you get in contact with family members, etc., with a borrowed phone, or "back-up" phone.

Hmmm, :( I'm not quite as prepared as I could be. BUT... that's no reason why YOU shouldn't be! :)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Good idea. I have a car charger and a battery pack for USB devices, but nothing for my POS flip phone. I guess I could charge it off the generator while running the fridge or a heater, but a car charger would be a smart thing to have. And/or a USB thingamadoober to charge my POS phone off a the car or battery pack.

In the aftermath of SuperStorm Sandy, I couldn't reach my dad. He lost power AND the car charger I sent him a year earlier for his POS phone that needed to be charged daily. As a kid, he often yelled at me for not calling "WHAT... Do I Need TO Give you a DIME!!!" SO yeah... three days later, I was preparing to take the two hour ride to his house to see if he was there, I finally got a call from him. He relocated to a friend's house where they still had power.