What makes a flashlight just right

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
mTOR3VN.jpg

(Sorry for the off-topic: I couldn't resist! :D)

There were similar mouth attachments used in the movie One Flew Over the ****oo's Nest

idleprocess

Flashaholic
There`s no single answer to this really, it all depends on the use, what`s perfect for one job could be terrible for another.

Knowing that use cases and preferences vary wildly, I focused on qualitative results for the user. A light that's excellent for one user in a given scenario may be intolerable for another in the same scenario.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guessing that for some individuals, a flashlight could not possibly be just right... but satisfying? Oh yeah. Get another flashlight to fulfill a different role? Count on it. Then when all scenarios have been met with the proper torches, it becomes a situation where, having it at hand when needed becomes the bugaboo. Remember the James Bond movies when he got all those cool gadgets? Seemed like he managed to have a need, plus the item right there, only to use All of them before the movie ended. A person can dream, right?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mostly hold mine in my mouth so I can use both hands. A big 2d mag almost gagged me. I could use a headlight, but I can place a beam of light in the right spot with a flashlight in my mouth, so I guess anything that will fit in my mouth without gagging me or damaging my teeth.
I'm picky beyond that, but that's the main thing for me.

Uhhh.....yeah, nevermind. This is a family friendly site.

So what makes a flashlight just right? Staying off of CPF and not reading up on some new light that's just right in a way you never knew your current "just right" light wasn't quite right.

parang

Newly Enlightened
I don't know all the brands and models - far from it - but for me, the Armytek A2 Prime Pro was just right, because it can withstand drops and water depths up to 10 meters. It runs on 2xAA, which I prefer as a fuel source, as an EDC-able weight and form factor that fits my hands and lifestyle well, with a good enough "capacity" in terms of output and endurance. It is equipped with a good magnet, has all the modes I need and it can be mounted on my bike. It is not perfect though, it lacks good CRI, but that's wabi sabi.

nbp

Flashaholic
Thanks for mentioning wabi sabi. I wasn't familiar and it offered Interesting reading. Thumbsup!

wuff

Newly Enlightened
One that is build to serve a specific purpose flood, throw or something in the middle.

Most of my torches now have a forward clicky mechanical switch, the switch boots are dialed in to perfection requiring a light press for instant on = happiness!

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
What makes a flashlight "just right"? You could ask that question of a 100 different people and get 100 different answers.

For me the answer is the high CRI HDS Rotary.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weight = quality (to some extent). A marketing professor told me that once.
Which is why manufactures will sometimes put useless weights in their products in order to capitalize on this false perception.