What was your first motorcycle?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
honda ct90, also got a cd90, yz 100 and ct 75. I rebuilt a few using the high school shop- class and resold them to the students.

83Venture

Enlightened
1st 78 Suzuki GS-450E
2nd 80? Honda Silverwing
3rd 83 Yamaha Venture Royal XVZ12

Still have the Venture, bought it new and I only have about 14K miles on it, 26K is the first scheduled tuneup so I figure at this rate that will be in 2025. Once I got married and the kids came my riding time flatlined. :sigh:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
A new (then) 1964 Honda S90 the 1st of around 12 bikes. One CB160s life span was 6 hours before being totalled (not by me)

InfidelCastro

Banned
1978 Yamaha Enduro 125cc.

Good takeoff and had a top speed over 70mph in 6th gear. I beat a 250cc with it easily once. When I took it in for service, they said it had better compression than the new bikes they were selling.

It redlined at 10K. It saw over 10K quite often.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
1978 Suzuki 550 which I owned in '83. Funny, I still remember the license plate (9P4677). Totalled at 36th and ECR in San Mateo on an early January morning. When the car hit me my bike went right and I went left over the hood before gravity pulled me back to earth.

Last edited:

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Well, if you consider it a motorcycle, it was a 1969 Honda 50 Mini Trail minibike. The next one was a Yamaha 100 trail bike that had a dual range gearbox and 3 (or 4?) gears in each range.

In fact, I still have the Honda Mini Trail. It runs well yet. Has many parts broken and repaired or patched. But it runs! I probably should sell it someday to some one that would fix it up right.

Last edited:

Lightmeup

Enlightened
LowBat said:
1978 Suzuki 550 which I owned in '83. Funny, I still remember the license plate (9P4677). Totalled at 36th and ECR in San Mateo on an early January morning. When the car hit me my bike went right and I went left over the hood before gravity pulled me back to earth.
I lost my fascination with them when one of my friends laid down his Honda 450 on a wet curve one night and scraped off half of his face on a sign pole. He looked like Freddy Krueger even after numerous plastic surgeries.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightmeup said:
I lost my fascination with them when one of my friends laid down his Honda 450 on a wet curve one night and scraped off half of his face on a sign pole. He looked like Freddy Krueger even after numerous plastic surgeries.
Yes, these machines can be hazardous to your health. I had another motorcycle years later, and after riding it accident free for a year I decided to sell it. I figured I beat the national average (2 accidents a year) and wanted to quite while I was ahead.:crazy:

Knight Lights

Enlightened
Kawasaki 500 Triple Two Stroke. The original Crotch Rocket.

Fast as sin once it was on the pipe. I regularly dusted 750cc Hondas and Kawasaki's in the early 80's, but the Kawasaki had a wicked head shake about 85-90 MPH that I was forever trying to tame and having NO luck with!

Laid it down once when it came on the pipe once while I was in the middle of a turn and found some gravel. It wheelied out from underneath me.

FUN, but a death trap if you screwed up!!

Bill

larryk

Enlightened
My first bike that actually ran was a 1957 C-Zeta motor scooter made by Jawa in Czechoslovakia. My cousin and myself chipped in and bought it for $ 75.00, this was in 1966. It had a 175 cc 2 stroke motor with twin exhaust. The thing was huge, able to carry 3 persons on that long seat. The gas tank was right in front above the front wheel. Had a lot of fun with that ugly thing until we smashed it up. The photo is not the one we owned, but close.
180pxcezet50200ly2.jpg

Bogie

Enlightened
Dirt was 70 somthing Honda XL100

Street 66 Trimuph 650 that I buuilt with a Ridgid frame & HD front end that I rode for about 2 years then sold for a 79 sportster

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
An Indian 500cc twin. Even though it bore the Indian marque it was in fact a Royal Enfield. The last attempt to continue the proud Indian tradition. It loved to kick me over the handlebars!

nirad

Enlightened
My first motorcycle was a Honda Twinstar 125 when I was about 14 years old. It was a great bike to learn to ride on. I later graduated to an 86' Honda V-65 Magna. Boy that bike would boogie!!:grin2:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I started out on Briggs and Stratton mini bikes.

But my fondest memories come from my first "real" motorcycle, a Yamaha Mini Enduro 60!

I also had a Suzuki 90 with a dual range gearbox later on.

And about two dozen bikes since then!

G1K

Newly Enlightened
My first street bike was a 1992 Suzuki Katana 750. I've graduated to better handling bikes since then.. but I still kinda miss it.

Current street mount is a 2000 GSX-R 750 which I have owned since new (excluding a few days when the ins . company owned it after it was "totalled")

and a 2003 Honda 600RR for the track as seen in my avatar.

**Edit for spelling

R

Last edited: