What was your prep for today?

bignc

Enlightened
Been there many times sir. I am often reconsidering a travel setup vs an "I'm never coming home " setup. I've evacuated my family and stayed behind for work, evacuated all of us, and all just stayed. All different things for sure. It's real life, absolutely but every time I get new ideas and find new problems.
Part of the reason I made "lists" was to insure things and feel SOME better if I had to pick what stays/ goes!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I scanned through a manual one last time and re-tab'd it more logically before taking a test on said manual.

The extra prep paid off as it was a timed test with lots of questions whose answers were hidden or required a logical thought process to decide the answer.

I passed with an hour spare time after reviewing my answers. Example would be I thought the answer was C for question #57 and while scanning for the answer to question #122 saw #57 was actually D (all of the above).

I had jotted down on a scratch pad the correct answer to ensure I changed it during the review. Not my first timed test so I have learned a few time saving tips and preps along the way.

scout24

Flashaholic
We have some leaf curl on our peach trees that we planted two years ago, so I sprayed them down with a copper fungicide today. I need to get more, and spray regularly apparently. If not, it can kill the trees. We planted four more apple and peach trees from our county conservation sale, as well as a half dozen butternut trees. They take a while to mature, but worth planting. Also built one more raised bed for the garden today. It'll be outside the fence with onions in it. Busy busy spring here. A good busy.

scout24

Flashaholic
Finally got the last of the veggies planted today. Eggplant is now in. Tomatos, peppers, peas, carrots, sweet potatos, russet potatos, garlic from last fall, cukes, spaghetti squash, zucchini, asparagus, here's hoping it dries out a bit here! Having rain barrels full is nice, but wow have we had a lot of rain.

Rubicon1000

Newly Enlightened
GCTtN18.jpg

Was finally able to get 10 more garden beds out. These will mostly be green beans, carrots, tomatoes, beets and a variety of other vegetables. We have 10 more on the other side of the yard and we usually can enough food for the next year.
I'll post pics and update regularly.
We grow our sweet potatoes in wooden barrels and usually end up with over a hundred pounds.

bignc

Enlightened
Revived!!!!! I've been slacking. Had two power outages in the last month and that caused some reorganization. Thankfully, neither went past three hours but were annoying.

Rubicon, I'd love to see more. How big are the beds? How do you space your plants in them? I am trying to go smaller - a gardening by the foot type deal instead of rows like most around here do.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Got a pile of preps. (stuff) sitting literally behind me on the floor. Large pile just waiting to be stored away. If I bought nothing else for a decade, I'd have basically all my BOB, camping, and hiking needs covered.

bignc

Enlightened
Got a pile of preps. (stuff) sitting literally behind me on the floor. Large pile just waiting to be stored away. If I bought nothing else for a decade, I'd have basically all my BOB, camping, and hiking needs covered.

I am pretty close- except ammo, food and med are ALWAYS on my mind to beef up. Picked up some gauze and 91% alcohol today on the way home then celebrated a family birthday.

ETA: NEEDS covered- not WANTS or even all the "nice to haves."

scout24

Flashaholic
Finally able to post some pics again. Here's our garden... a bunch of raised beds, some bags, and a couple pots. 6' fenced to keep the deer out. Garlic, cilantro, potatos, tomatos, peas, carrots, lettuce, spinach, peppers, cukes, a couple kinds of squash, pumpkins, asparagus, eggplant, and rhubarb is new this year. Oh, and onions. Some baby sunflowers and blueberry bushes outside but fenced, too. It's about 25x50. Slowly but surely...
20190715_203040-1024x768-1024x768.jpg
20190715_203232-1024x768.jpg

Edit to add some of the fruit trees we planted three years ago- a variety of apples, cherry, peach, plum, hazlenut, raspberries and a couple grape vines. Bad pic, but you get the idea.
20190715_203317-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:

bignc

Enlightened
Awesome! I might can get the wife on board with raised beds like those - throw a bench and some flowers around for an English garden look. She didn't mind my old row garden but this is more tolerable I am sure. Good stuff!

scout24

Flashaholic
Thanks folks! Slow but steady this year. Tomatos are all green still, blueberries shoul be fully turned by Aug 1, here's some stuff starting to look like something...

Bignc- I'm sure you're familiar with companion planting where flowers that are beneficial to the veggies for whatever reason are planted side-by-side with your veggies. This year my Wife planted a bunch of marigolds, some in each bed. I'll grab a pic tomorrow. :grin2:

View attachment 10612
View attachment 10613
20190718_200536-768x1024.jpg

Last edited:

bignc

Enlightened
Absolutely! I have at least a quart of saved marigolds seeds from the last full garden we did (I only bother with heirloom seeds) and they helped.

I tend to have more issues with moisture management than bugs but DID lose a red potato crop to ants one year!

Also had good luck planting three sisters. Corn with a vining pea plant and a squash at the bottom . Works well!

scout24

Flashaholic
Awesome on the marigold seeds. Heirloom is the only way to go. I took advantage of the 93+ humid day we had today to run my generators for a little while. Good to be ready for rolling power outages and all. When we had our home rebuilt, an outside generator plug with a blocking plate on the breaker panel was one of the first things that made our list.

bignc

Enlightened
Good call! Honestly, I only have a small Yamaha generator to keep the fridge and freezer going. Those, two fans and charging devices seem comfy and I get almost 8 hours on a gallon of gas.

I would like to put the well and softener and hot water on backup too but haven't spent the dough.

Today, replaced our work gloves, mowed the yard and rotated the gas cans.

bignc

Enlightened
Forgot to note on Sunday that we went to the great Wal of Mart. Not by my choice but the wife needed a craft item for a camp she was headed to. BUT I took the opportunity to go to the camping section. Generally low quality on their actual camping stuff i know- but i thought i would find something..... And i did- snagged a Reliance BPA free 6gal water cube. So dumb that i have limited storage space and never bought one-usually store in 2l bottles but those are awkward.

That's all. Yay me.

Rubicon1000

Newly Enlightened
FqJMRxA.jpg
ilg3yOa.jpg

Been busy getting firewood split. The garden beds are 5x10' I'll get some pictures up as soon as I get time but they are doing great. Dan

Rubicon1000

Newly Enlightened
GvTvS5K.jpg

Me and my youngest son have been going out to our hunting property and trying to get some food plots in but it's been pretty hot out lately so we are slowing down some.

scout24

Flashaholic
Nice tractor! One size up from my New Holland I guess. Mine's 28hp 3cyl diesel. We pulled about 60 garlic plants today, used the foodsaver to put up 12 cups of diced carrots in the freezer, and re-planted the garlic bed with pea plants and carrots. Bed is about 12x3. Peas and carrots have done great this year.

nightshade

Enlightened
Added additional marine deep cyle batteries and just added extra water hyacinth to floating gardens, to increase size and yield.