What watch you're wearing?

jdboy

Enlightened
368f40736f6614713fb92474a0c2b6a0.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My Brother-In-Law would KILL for that bad boy!! Killer EK watch Byk!! :twothumbs

eBay... $20. Tell him go to eBay and search Evel Knievel watch. These are replicas of 1973 watches.

Got me a grandpa would wear it Elgin today. Stainless case with a grandpa approved stretch band...

1965-ish.

Looks like an old Hamilton.

Hand wind and so far acurate to the second after a day. The seller had it serviced shortly before putting it up for sale.

When not sporting the grandpa would wear it watch a Sean Connery James Bond style 1966 Bulova Clipper P will go in the rotation. The Bulova Clipper was an automatic with a sweeping second hand. This one is a hand wind with a second hand at 6 o'clock.

Says waterproof below Bulova.
Most had automatic written where the second hand is on this. This is the first I've seen with waterproof written on the face although the Clipper line of watches was deemed waterproof at the time these were made.

Genuine Bulova calf skin band. Original type.
Is this the original band? Well it looks like it was never worn but the crystal has enough 'history' look to indicate this watch was worn... a bunch. I know I will.

Yup, it'll get worn.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In the 1970's Star Kist tuna had a cartoon comercial featuring Charlie the tuna show-casing how he has good tastes in life. The announcer would say "sorry Charlie, Star Kist want tuna that tastes good"

1973 promo watch.

To this day if you hear somebody say "sorry Charlie" that is likely where it came from much like "where's the beef" was a Wendys burger chain jingle.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just remembered there were a few broken linx to pix in this one so I fix'd 'em.

And wanted to show off my spiffy new (to me) 2008 A-11 reproduction by Timex.

OmZxYLy.jpg

Case is about 4mm larger than the real McCoy...
But being my eyes aint what they used to be that's ok with me.
Lots of other little details differ as well but at a glance it looks like the watch many heroes wore on Normandy.
No 'hack' feature and the hands glow in the dark. But it was a good price and it's a genuine Timex.

I looked n looked n looked at A-11's for months and decided a reproduction was best for my use. Too many fakes for one. A genuine would need to be properly serviced to know it won't work in spurts, and this one uses a battery. So after months of searching, one night I stumbled onto this "J. Crew" edition.

I originally thought a Hamilton would be the one, then I learned there are numerous knock-offs of those or they are Chinese made at US made prices and I dang sure won't going to buy one from a jewelry store.
Eh, the Timex will do nicely.

Edit:
Acquired a genuine band for the reproduction casing.
Na6ubUN.jpg

NOS band from 1945.

Nother Edit:
rBRaawq.jpg

Looks pretty natural.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Just today arrived a new one for me, a G-Shock Mudman G9300-1. This is replacing the G-Shock I've been wearing for work for the past 12 years! That one still runs so I'm keeping it for a beater but I will switch go the Mudman tomorrow. I'm stoked about the compass feature - my brain compass ain't too good. Haha

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until a few years ago I've been exclusively quartz/digital all my life, primarily g's, with a few failed automatic experiments mixed in.

Then I got a basic seiko auto diver on a PU strap that for some reason worked for me, and I haven't looked back. Longest I've ever kept to one watch. FOr some reason I have to adjust this one no more often than (non atomic) quartz. I'm sure that'll change in the long run, but in the meantime enjoying it.

waffles45

Newly Enlightened
I have some expensive watches that I just don't wear daily because of their value and my carelessness.

The vast majority of the time I daily drive a Citizen Skyhawk EcoDrive. Solar powered, 200m water resistance, and syncs to the atomic clock so I never need to think about it. A bit large at 46mm, but the design is fairly understated and stealthy (especially compared to the Casio G-Shocks). At $350, I wouldn't even mind being mugged, LOL

The best feature is having all the world time-zones at a glance as I am a frequent international traveler (once a month or so). All the best travel watch features, built in alarm, chrono, timer, calendar, etc.

It is absolutely my favorite watch, even though I have a Rolex Datejust, Panerai 024A, and Omega Seamaster. I honestly might sell the Panera and Omega because I barely ever take them out of my safe, let alone wear them because I am too lazy to set them every time. I wear the Rolex when I am going to fancy dinners which is pretty infrequently.

The only negative is it won't work with fitted cuff dress shirts but I don't wear those often so not a big deal to me. Also it has a mineral crystal but can be changed to sapphire, which I will probably do once I get this one scratched up some more.

img-thing

waffles45

Newly Enlightened
Have had a Nighthawk for years ... great watch.

Wanted a Skyhawk, too, for some time[emoji106]
I have an older generation Skyhawk that is 43mm (Blue Angels edition) and my only disappointment with the newer ones is that they are just a touch too big at 46mm. They are thin so they wear pretty unobtrusively and luckily it doesn't look too massive on my wrist.

The new ones did gain more time zones (and the weird half-hour zones like India), and an LED for the display which is extremely handy. I have family and coleagues all over the globe and having a world time watch on the wrist is much more handy than I imagined. Can't go back to a traditional mechanical watch no matter how hard I pretend, LOL. I always end up switching to my Skyhawks

Jomashop has them for $335 right now which seems like a good deal for a stainless case, solar/atomic watch, with a great looking analog/digital dial. They also have a few variants with different color options as well.

(shameless plug for anyone looking for a 'grown-up' EDC watch)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...Omega because I barely ever take them out of my safe, let alone wear them because I am too lazy to set them every time.
Omega Perpetual!

...it has a mineral crystal but can be changed to sapphire, which I will probably do once I get this one scratched up some more.
That's exactly what I did with the titanium Seiko I'm wearing now. Let the crystal get scratched up a bit, then left if with my friend to put a sapphire crystal in its place. Perfect now.