What would you do to prepare for a potential disaster you saw coming?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that you guys gave some solutions to the problems, I think I'll add on and give you guys a better idea of my situation and possible solutions. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this type of situation.
Communication: I have two way radios and a Solio Solar Charger that will work for charging them. Can't count on cell towers to be in service during a widespread blackout.

I would strongly encourage you (and anyone serious about preparedness) to get your Amateur Technician license and buy a couple of HAM radios. Mobile rigs (50-65 watts) can routinely reach 10-15 miles, and handhelds (when set up correctly with a good J pole antenna) can get 5-10 miles under normal conditions. If you have elevation (5-6 story parking garage or similar) then a handheld with the factory antenna can reach 15 miles or more at 5 watts, with a mobile rig having up to 25 miles.

These are rough figures, but I point them out to compare them to your standard walkie talkie you buy at Walmart because while those may advertise a 20-30 mile range, they are severely overrated for normal use especially in the city where buildings can block signals. The small walkie talkies are generally putting out 1-3 watts at best.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Still a concern trying to keep up to date on evacuations during a fire if there is a blackout. Cell phones wouldn't work and house has no land line.

Make sure you've got a good AM radio; long after the power's out and the cell towers are overwhelmed, your radio will continue giving you news and updates without skipping a beat..

Slazmo

Enlightened

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the optimal answer, moving is out of the question for the time being you should consider water and food storage, some basic medicines, and means of self protection, all of which have been mentioned. You also might wish to harden your residence, people get real cranky once the water and other utlities stop.

55 gallon drums are nice, but hard to work with and store in most residences. And put stress on lesser quality floors in apartments. Smaller 5 and 6 gallon cans are easier to work with and can be stored under furniture, in crawl spaces (in warm climates) and to make tables etc. If you use a 55 gallon make sure to buy dispensors and pumps etc.

For food stuffs you dont need to have months and months of food for your scenario so buying some extra long term storage foodstuffs a bit at a time and making a modern pantry will suffice for your needs.

Harden homes with deadbolts with long screws, window laminates and other methods easily found online. You dont need a prision, but some reasonable protection from people who are scared and want what you might have.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that the threat of blackouts has diminished some. While San Onofre has been taken offline permanently, the Sunrise Powerlink is now completed to provide more power. Unfortunately, it has already started at least one fire from buried wires. The risk of the criminals has increased as they are being released early now. At least they are under house arrest with ankle bracelets, but if there were a widespread evacuation, it would be impossible to for authorities to keep track of them in the ensuing chaos. The fire risk has increased substantially. We already had 2 major fires in the county, one fire in Banner and the Old Fire in Alpine. Usually, the fires don't take place until October during the Santa Ana winds. Fires starting this early is a bad sign. It means the season will be long, and funds to fight the fires may run out by the time things really heat up. It seems California isn't the only place that has to worry about fires. Colorado is currently having serious problems with fires. If you live out there, good luck and stay safe.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
-Water...lots of it. As well as a means of purification.
-Heat. Whether propane, kerosene, wool blankets, candles. A plus to Catylic Heaters is that they are safe to use inside.
-Food. Keep a few weeks of spare food on hand and rotate it out with your regular meal planning. Keep some fatty foods on hand during the cold months, as well as high protein items.
-Means of power; Generator depending on the nature of the cause of the black-out. But a nice stock of batteries (lithium), maybe a solar set-up thrown in there. My current set-up is reliable off the grid power for my most basic "essentials"; With my solar set-up, I can recharge A) My large capacity power supply B) My Comms (HH CB's, Scanner, FRS) C) All my lighting battery requirements, including my B65's. D) Misc Electronics for entertainment (IPod, etc.).
-Alternate Comm. Methods. CB/FRS. A Scanner is nice also to hear what's going outside the walls. A LOT easier to keep powered during a black otu than a tv. And cheaper too!

@ Hooked; For improved black out security, look at self contained (battery powered) Motion sensors. My main system can be battery operated, but keeping it charged for extended outages can be a problem. So, I have several battery operated motion sensors (2-AA) that I can set-up if needed. Deterance is key...it's better than having to shoot some-one in self-defense. Plus, these can go with me when/if I need to bug-out.

Last edited:

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Food, water, security. MRE (camping food), 5 gallon cans of water, strong locks, guns. I have a solar array powering 12v deep cycle batteries. I have battery powered motion sensors strategically placed around the house. Three times they have scared away burglars who probably don't want to be shot. Swimming pool full of water to flush the toilets or fight fires. Should get by for weeks.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Get a dog, preferably two. You don't have to make your place bulletproof, just less-appealing than the next house.

Some places sell water bladders that fit under your bed.

You can buy an IBC cheaply. Just make darn sure there was food in it beforehand. That's Intermediate Bulk Container. They are plastic containers, surrounded by a metal cage. You often see them as water containers for mobile pressure-washing rigs. They hold around 250 gallons iirc.

broadgage

Enlightened
WATER keep a stock of bottled water for drinking, enough for a month is not that much if only for drinking.
For other purposes keep several large water containers such as the IBCs recomended by others.
Fill with city water when available, or possibly from your roof.

ELECTRICITY
Large battery bank charged either by line power, or better from a solar array.
Also keep a generator and fuel, a modest sized generator need only run a few hours a day if used for battery charging.

LIGHTING, high efficiency 12 volt or 24 volt LED lamps supplied from the battery bank. Battery lanterns. Large stock of candles as a last resort.

REFRIGERATION, high efficiency DC compressor fridge is fine for medicines and will allow LIMITED storage of perishable foods such as milk, butter, fresh meat. If money permits, consider a second identical fridge as a spare.

FOOD keep a good supply of non perishables, remembering that only very limited fridge space will be available, tinned goods, pasta, and a generous supply of whatever non perishables you normally use. Consider Mountain House 25 year shelf life "doomfood" as well. Rather an expensive prep but does keep well.

DEFENCE/SECURITY. Obtain whatever firearms you legally can and feel competant to use, or can practice with. Dont forget low tech weapons like a crossbow, baseball bat, hatchet, kitchen knife. Make your home more secure without looking like a survivalist fortress that is worth raiding.
For some supplies concealment is more effective than locks, gates, bars and alarms.

Try to have spares of everything important, kept in different locations in case of loss by fire, theft, looting etc.