What's the BEST Budget 500 Lumen Light??

Nalapombu

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I'd like to get some opinions on what you think is the best light that puts out 500 lumens or more in the BUDGET category.

I know many of you talked about and liked the Defiant 3xC light that was at Home Depot especially when it was being sold at something like $12 or so. Well unfortunately that light isn't available anymore, at least I can't find one or I'd get it.

Any other suggestions you'd like to pass along?

Thanks for the help.

nalajr

Lumenski

Newly Enlightened
Search Ebay for XM-L T6 Zoomable. The larger one that takes a 3 AAA cartridge or an 18650 can be had for $10 or less. When you turn it on you kinda expect your hand to blow back from force the light coming out. It'll put a smile on your face, esp for $ 10. (I paid $6.50 by bidding)
Tip: Divide advertised lumens by 2 and you will be close to actual.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search Ebay for XM-L T6 Zoomable. The larger one that takes a 3 AAA cartridge or an 18650 can be had for $10 or less. When you turn it on you kinda expect your hand to blow back from force the light coming out. It'll put a smile on your face, esp for $ 10. (I paid $6.50 by bidding)
Tip: Divide advertised lumens by 2 and you will be close to actual.

Thanks for that so my Fenix PD35 on Turbo is 850 lumens divide by 2 = 425 lumens.I have been ripped off and i am not happy.

ven

Flashaholic
Hey all,

I'd like to get some opinions on what you think is the best light that puts out 500 lumens or more in the BUDGET category.

I know many of you talked about and liked the Defiant 3xC light that was at Home Depot especially when it was being sold at something like $12 or so. Well unfortunately that light isn't available anymore, at least I can't find one or I'd get it.

Thanks for the help.

nalajr

Look at Rayovac range too,if happy with 18650 cells or have them then look at convoy range,many options and tints,all for $20-$25 and well worth it imho.
I have the m2 and s8,both excellent:twothumbs

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd third for Convoy brand lights, but within their line of lights, some are better for one task than others. So please define what qualities in a light you are looking for that would help us suggest which is the best light for YOU.

Please be sure to select a battery type. 18650 (or two CR123), OR multiple cell AA lights. OR multiple cell C or D lights.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hey all,

Thanks for the help.

nalajr

OK, I understand that you want at least 500 lumens...but not why.

Did you want to flood an area with light, or, see things far away, etc?

Does "best" mean most durable, or, brightest in lumens, or brightest in lux, or cheapest to purchase, or easiest to use (UI, etc) or using a preferred cell/battery type or with a particular color rendering ability, or run time, or form factor, etc?

You can't say, yes, all of those, because you also said budget.

What is it you want the light to DO for you?

:D

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
A solarforce l2 and a solarforce xm-l drop in. Under $30 with shipping. Or for $21 and free shipping get an ultrafire wf-500 for 500 lumens of incandescent awesomeness. Amazing light

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Defiant 3D 650 lumen Cree XM-L2 light. Just used it for the Relay for Life this month. Unscrewed the head and put a light diffuser for my Fenix TK11 over the bare l.e.d. and had it on a flat table. Nothing beats a 650 lumen lantern that lasts all night long on 3 D batteries with no overheating issues.

Other than that, I'd say a Solarforce L2 with Cree XM-L drop-in.

heelsthrow

Newly Enlightened
What about 800 Lumens Zoomable CREE XM-L T6 LED for a price of $15? Is the price just right? Tnx.

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened
I have one of those zoomable CREE XM-L lamps that I got for free, courtesy of the American taxpayer (Weiita F1655). It is advertised as 600 lumens, but outputs 250 on a good day with FOUR THOUSAND MILLI AMP HOUR!!! no-name 18650. They have multiple annoying problems. The head is wobbly and the flashlight changes modes when the zoom is changed. The light remembers the mode so it requires cycling through 5 modes every time to get it to turn on in high. There is no true low mode. The aspheric lens cuts off a large quantity of light when zoomed in. The LED is not heatsinked properly. The light flickers erratically. The blue tint washes out many colors.

@heelsthrow, I bet my 320 lumen SureFire G2X Pro will equal your 800 lumen contraption in terms of total output and have a far better tint. You can get the SureFire for $49 online, with $10 value batteries included, with free 3 day shipping. Of course it is only 320 true lumens, so it is not eligible.

With some of these ultra-discounted budget lights, you need to cut down claimed lumens by more than 50%. For example, you can buy a 3800 lumen flashlight on Amazon for $25. Reviewers mention that this light is between 600 to 800 lumens. YMMV.

arioch

Enlightened
If the OP is still reading this:

You said that if the Defiant 3c were available, you would have gotten one ... does that mean you wanted something in that size category? If so, here are some options from b&m stores that might interest you:

1.) Defiant 3D- I believe the latest version puts out 600 lumens. Available at Home Depot.
2.) Ozark Trails 6aa- 500 lumens. About $30. Available at Walmart.
3.) Duracell 3c- 500 lumens. About $30 for a two pack. Available at Costco.
4.) Lux-pro 3c- 480 lumens. $32. Available at Lowes.

For the larger lights, 500 lumens seems to be the new standard for b&m store lights as the selection has grown over the past year or so.

Good luck in your search, if you haven't already gotten one. :)

Bigpal

Enlightened
The Skyray King is well worth the money. For about $40, you can get more light than you'll probably ever need.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
Try other box stores as they all sell lights.

Costco almost always has budget lights available. For the most part people have been happy with them. they just won't have the latest LEDs and the run-times will be shorter than many more expensive lights.

Why is 500 lumen a magic number?

Lumens don't constitute throw. you can have a 300 lumen focused light that will out throw a 500 lumen floody light. If you're looking for a general purpose work light, then you might want to avoid many of the highly focused lights.

Walmart sells a Retro designed, chromed body, Ray-O-Vac 30 lumen light for $5. it will out throw many 100 lumen lights because the beam is so well focused.

Stockhouse13

Newly Enlightened
A know ur thinking of some low budget store light but they usually have awful beams/tints or garbage switches or no waterproof testing.

How about a $12 Solarforce host and a drop in from Lumen Factory?