What's the best emergency survival flashlight?

cosine

Newly Enlightened
Inova X5 and Surefire G2 are both in my BOB. X5 for runtime and the G2, because it is an incandescent (better in fog or smoke).

I've never heard that before. What makes an incan better than an LED in fog or smoke?

paulr

Flashaholic
The original post specified an evacuation. If that means in your car that's one thing but I presumed it meant you were on foot, and weight counts. To sort of repeat from before:

1) go for 1 cell lights over multi-cell lights. That removes the problem of mixing different types of battery, mixing batteries that have differing amounts of charge, etc. It also makes it easier to run the light with batteries scrounged from other devices, many of which have only 1 battery.

2) Headlamps are good. Maybe I'll put out a WTB for one of the Ray-o-vac 1aa headlamps. I haven't gotten to see one yet but aside from the goofy blue led it sounds great.

3) If you want ultra dim, get a Photon Freedom. Weighs nothing, dims to near-zero and can be an invaluable backup. Then stop worrying about umpteen levels on your bigger lights.

knot

Banned
:( I'd cite a lack of caffeine throughout the day.

That said, got any favorites in the long runtime lantern category? The OP says "survival", but I'm not sure D-sized lanterns fit the bill.

Honestly, I don't have a lantern yet - but as the OP says:

Let's say you had to live in the wilderness / urban area for like a week. What flashlight would be best?

IMO a flashlight is for going places. A lantern is used to illuminate broad areas such as if one had to "live in the wilderness" for a week - camping

Last edited:

BGater

Enlightened
A light with one output would be useless. High only would drain batteries fast, low only would be useless to signal for help (read that as simply get someones attention because honestly, how many of us remember or know morse code to make use of a momentary switch?) or blast a path of light if danger was near. Simply because I have this one, I would say mine would be a Fenix L1Dce with Energizer Liths. This light will run on low for something like 60 hours and high for 2 or so to 50%. Being able to run a light, even if on low, all night would be a great comfort. If the power is out all over, man it gets DARK ! A handfull of AA Liths and your set for weeks. The strobe would be usefull to get helps attention. I do think the SOS flashes way to slow to be usefull. This light fits well in a web headband made for a MMag AA. I have several of these, the elastic loop is a snug fit but it works. That leaves your hands free if need be. No bulb to blow. If you would run low on batteries, it uses AA's which are easy to find. Rob some TV remotes, most camera's, any gas station or store, ect.

Not saying this one is the best choice, its just the best one I currently own. I also have the L2Dce, it would work equally well if not better.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well all memebers have made valid points and I guess I would sum them up in this

AA batteries
Headlamp
Ultralong Running Time
Hi=Intensity Option for searching

Now this can only be achieved with 2 flashlights.

1 AA headlamp
1 2 CR123 flashlight with a multimode Cree module/LED..

well that is MY take....

Pistolero

Enlightened
Has anyone had any real-world luck with those goofy 2-in-1 Light-to-lantern combos that some companies make.

The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Energizer ones.
But I think Dorcy or Garrity might make one. Brunton makes a tiny one, but I have no idea how that companies stuff is.

This is the one with the cold cathode tube.
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=1&id=3

Here is the extending one that converts from a torch to a lamp.
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=4&id=6

Another bigger extender.
http://www.energizer.com/products/flashlights/flashlight.asp?cat=4&id=7

Here's an updated one of there Nichia 2-in-1. Saw these at wal-mart.
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2080365&postcount=5

I'm guessing it would eliminate the need for a dedicated lantern, at the expense of poor output? Also, the RR K2 Lantern's top is removeable and the lantern can double as a sort of spotlight. Although, I think a headlamp might be more useful than a smallish lantern. But it depends on the scenario and the number of people in the party.

paulr

Flashaholic
1 AA headlamp
1 2 CR123 flashlight with a multimode Cree module/LED..
well that is MY take....
I don't see where the 2x123 requirement came from. The suggestion of a multimode 1AA light (L1D CE) with a headstrap seems to cover both requirements. I'm not a big fan of that type of setup for non-emergency use, just like I'd rather assemble computers with a real screwdriver instead of a SAK. However the SAK (and the L1DCE+headstrap) are good all-in-one solutions, not ideal for any specific purpose but doing at least a reasonable job at just about everything.

I don't think the L1DCE will really run 60 hours on low on 1 cell. The L2DCE can do that on two cells, nonstop. The L1DCE can probably also do it on two cells, not nonstop (since you have to change the cell once) but I don't see much use in running a light nonstop for that long.

BGater

Enlightened
paulr: your right about the L1D's runtime. I must have got the L2's time mixed up in my head at that late hour :duh2:. Flashlight Reviews has Chevs runtime plots for both. On E2 Liths the L1D runs for like 32 hours on low which at 8 hours darkness per night would give you around 4 days use, and the L2 for 80+ hours (to 50%). The batts would get to rest some as you would only need 8-10 hours at a time. Thats about all the longer night lasts in my neck of the woods.

The headstrap is not perfect for sure, but works in a pinch. I use it when the power is out and when climbing into my treestand during Deer season. If I get time this evening, I will post a pic of the LxD's in the headstrap. It folds up nice and flat, takes up little room in the pocket.

TOTJ

Newly Enlightened
I have a bunch of flashlights around the house but when it comes to what is in my disaster kit other then some 12 hour lightsticks is a crank/solar.
Flashlight/radio/strobe light/cell phone charger. There are no batteries to run out and I always know that its going to work. Are there better flashlights? Sure, but if stuff realy hits the fan it will work fine if I need
some light plus it was only (Ithink) $25.00
Here is a picture I found
solar-radio.jpg

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I've actually planned my EDC around the possibility of needing them in a survival type situation.....

in the car, I keep my SF G2 with P61, and a fully loaded Spares Carrier for my Retina Scorcher

I EDC the following lights for the following purposes;

SF A2 Aviator w/ red/white Aviatrix; the A2's there for two purposes, the long runtime LED's, and the throw of the incan, in an emergency, I have both battery sipping LED (especially the low red LED), and a powerful incan for when I need throw, the special modes of the Aviatrix (strobe, beacon, SOS) are great for emergency situations....

SF E1L-SR; my general-use light (RF pocket), especially since I run it on RCR123a's for guilt-free-lumens, whenever I need a quick blast of light, whether it's checking an iBook display for bad backlighting tubes/reed switch, searching under my desk for an errant dropped screw, or general nighttime use, the E1L-SR is my go-to light

my SC1 in the car is rigged up to support all three SF's, there's 4 SF primary 123a's, two spare RCR123a's for the E1L, and a spare lamp for the Aviator in a foam pad at the center of the SC

I also carry the following lights to back up the SF's;

Inova X5 in LF pocket, both as a spare battery carrier for the A2, and a long-runtime light, it eats the batteries the A2 and G2 are "done" with

Inova X1 in RR pocket; for when I need a long-runtime light powered by an AA cell

on the keyring i have both a Fenix E0 and CMG Infinity (blue/green) for long-life and common batteries (AAA and AA)

Sunhammer

Newly Enlightened
Hey,
New to the whole "torch" subculture. Stumbled into this when I decided to build a last ditch survival vest to back up my go-bag. I have to say I have instinctively found the "1 is none & 2 is 1" matches my own "always have a back-up, and then a back-up for the back-up". Thats why if the zombies force me to drop my go-bag I still have critical gear on my vest... Anyway, there are a couple things I consider:

1) Too-cheap will kill you, but too expensive wastes money for other gear
2) Light, tight, ready for fight or flight
3) durability
4) Fancy is a waste in an emergency
5) standardized battery

Starting with (5) I've decided for myself a solar battery charger is good idea (Powerfilm USB+AA because I live in a cloudy environment) so the flashlights I choose need to run on those. This fits with 1 & 2, Fenix seems to make the smallest AAA and AA torches with decent quality. Fenix is that great middle ground if you are thinking budget... it is the combination that led me to Fenix: the E05 is almost the same size as a AA battery and the 27 lumins is enough to find the possum my dogs are barking about while not so bright people 3 blocks away can see the light. It's my every day carry (a double clip MOLLE pouch sits on your belt real nice and carries a folder, fire starter and fenix E01 or E05 very comfortably).

My friend started me out by giving me a Nebo Redline, which is a nice multi that runs on 3 AAA (love those eneloops - get them cheap thru adorama) and the 220 lumins is the most I will ever need as it is bright enough to move but not bright enough to blind pilots at 30,000 feet. But it is a little big. I am ordering a Fenix LD12 (97 hours at 3 lumins, and 4 hours at 115 lumins - all off one AA- for general use) round it all out with two Fenix E01, and an old minimag for the outhouse.

Why? Well, I'll end up giving out a couple to less prepared friends in my group, and still have at least one backup. The Fenix are so small that you cannot feel guilty adding a couple extra to your gear.

Anyway, really think about the way you want your go-bag to work when the crap hits... do you have kids? A little flashlight of their own is good morale for them. Do you want your go-bag to have what you need when the 2 day emergency stretches to 3 weeks? Is it just you, or will you have others with you? Are you going to be mobile or shelter-in-place? Really imagine yourself there, in the worst of it, and don't forget to consider bad people (or zombies if you get depressed easily) as other people have said...

in the end, there is no "right answer"

Burgess

Flashaholic
to Sunhammer --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Even though this thread is more than 5 years old,
there's still valuable information contained within.

Thanks for sharing your insights.
Keep reading the many additional postings we have on the subject !

rmvsintheta

Newly Enlightened
I'm all for standardized batteries (AA, AAA), but assuming, as Sunhammer suggests, that you have some sort of renewable power source, I'd go with a Spark SD6-460NW 18650 headlamp. It has light levels scaling all the way from 0.5 lumens to 460 lumens (at 0.5 lumens it's advertised that the light will last for 90 days... the veracity of this is debatable given real-world battery drain / temperature conditions, but still impressive nonetheless). It's also IP68 dust/waterproof, meaning it will sustain prolonged submersion in water. Generally speaking, in a "survival" situation, the importance of light is to have a durable light that allows you to be aware of your immediate surroundings in the dark, so I'd personally prefer a flood beam to any sort of reflector/thrower. Helps avoid tunnel vision. Also, 460 lumens is plenty bright enough to be used as a signalling device at night even with full flood, and will likely be seen over a greater range of angles.

Flashlights may be handier to manipulate, but in almost every situation I've been in where I've had to navigate and/or manipulate objects in the dark, I've found a headlamp to be far more convenient and secure. As embarrassed as I am to admit it, I've often reached for my 23 lumen PETZL Tikkina 2 (IPX4 water resistant) to complete a task rather than my 220 lumen ITP SC2 Eluma (IP68). It's much easier to do things in the dark with both hands free, even at the expense of some light.

Samy

Enlightened
I'm all for standardized batteries (AA, AAA), but assuming, as Sunhammer suggests, that you have some sort of renewable power source, I'd go with a Spark SD6-460NW 18650 headlamp. It has light levels scaling all the way from 0.5 lumens to 460 lumens (at 0.5 lumens it's advertised that the light will last for 90 days... the veracity of this is debatable given real-world battery drain / temperature conditions, but still impressive nonetheless). It's also IP68 dust/waterproof, meaning it will sustain prolonged submersion in water. Generally speaking, in a "survival" situation, the importance of light is to have a durable light that allows you to be aware of your immediate surroundings in the dark, so I'd personally prefer a flood beam to any sort of reflector/thrower. Helps avoid tunnel vision. Also, 460 lumens is plenty bright enough to be used as a signalling device at night even with full flood, and will likely be seen over a greater range of angles.

Flashlights may be handier to manipulate, but in almost every situation I've been in where I've had to navigate and/or manipulate objects in the dark, I've found a headlamp to be far more convenient and secure. As embarrassed as I am to admit it, I've often reached for my 23 lumen PETZL Tikkina 2 (IPX4 water resistant) to complete a task rather than my 220 lumen ITP SC2 Eluma (IP68). It's much easier to do things in the dark with both hands free, even at the expense of some light.

I couldn't agree more! AA's and AAA's and long runtime lights. I also prefer floodier beams to the tunnel vision lights.

cheers

braddy

Enlightened
The core of my prepper lights are a package of the Fenix LD12, Fenix LD22, and Fenix HL21 headlamp, they each have a low of 3 ANSI lumens with burn times of 97 hours, 110 hours, and 53 hours respectively, and they total up to 4 AA batteries, and with diffusers all make great lamps/lanterns, 3 ANSI lumens makes a perfectly fine flashlight, but all three lights have very bright settings with great throw as well.

With a solar charger and/or an adapter for the car, getting 4 batteries charged every few weeks should be no problem, and of course the AA is the world's most common battery anyway.

To me those three lights alone solve the lighting issue for long term emergencies of months and even years, and these are bullet proof, indestructible Fenix lights, so the fear of failure at the time of constant use and great need doesn't exist as it would with seemingly adequate, but cheaper lights.

I have more elements of course (don't all of us here, like dozens and dozens of them), the aaa lights and other long burning lights and battery options of course, but to have a core of such dependable, fail safe lights with such incredible capabilities and quality beams, gives a prepper peace of mind, and means that he can consider the flashlight niche filled so that he can move onto the next niche of preparedness.

In a survival situation, it may be winter and there may not even be heat in the house, the newest Eneloop AAs are good down to -4F, another strong point in favor of AAs.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
For emergencies, I tend to stay away from click switches and multiple modes.

Mine would be my G2-YL with M61LL. 10 hours regulated runtime at 100 lumens, with a long taper thereafter. High vis in yellow, bulletproof, and simple. I've heard that "survival use" is limited to 2 hours per day, which would give you 5 days of use on one set of cells, not counting the taper/reduced output after the regulated run period.

MatthewSB

Enlightened
I don't worry about basing my primary lights on what batteries I can scavenge elsewhere. If I want to have the ability to use AA batteries, I can toss a small $8 mini-Maglite in my bag. It's not worth crippling my lights' performance (brightness or runtime) to me. It seems that there are very few options for reliable lights that take AA or AAA batteries.

I would put a priority on having a light with a low mode, because I don't like to draw attention to myself with a blinding high beam everytime I need to do something in the dark. I also don't like to destroy my nightvision for no reason.

If I had to run out the door right now, I'd have either my E1B or EB1T that I rotate for daily carry in my pocket, and my PX2 Fury. The single cell lights are more efficient, with low modes getting 35+ hours. Even the powerful Fury gets 45 hours on the very usable (floody) low mode, which is more than enough to last a week or a month on a single set of batteries.

The Surefire E2L should also be considered. It's not the brightest out there, but it has Surefire's bombproof durability, 100 hours on low mode, and a very usable 60 lumen high mode with a 6 hour runtime. This light, with 2 inside and 4 spare batteries, could last months.

Spending a hundred dollars or so for a solar charger that works with a 3v LIFEPO4 rechargeable kit is worth considering. However, you might be better off with 50 batteries for the space and weight it takes up, as well as the fact that most inexpensive electronics (most solar chargers and battery chargers are pretty cheap) are likely to break eventually. Another reason to buy CR123 batteries, the long shelf life would likely outlast most people in a true disaster.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are many threads devoted to this subject already. BOB lights, toughest light, longest runtime, SHTF, etc.

I have a Peak Kilimanjaro single LED SS, Peak Matterhorn red LED, and a Quark 2AA tactical, all loaded with Lithium primaries and some spares in my BOB; should be enough...

braddy

Enlightened
It seems that there are very few options for reliable lights that take AA or AAA batteries. [/QUOTE said:
Fenix sure fills that requirement. The LD12 and the HL21 alone are enough to fill the need very well.

AAs are everywhere, even in most people's $2.00 solar garden lights (which can also be used as chargers) , they also use aaas easily, especially with a store bought adapter.