What's the DIMMEST flashlight?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the DIMMEST flashlight?

I'd say try a solitaire 'mod'. I plugged in a 5mm white led and had a very weak and used MN21/23 (car alarm) battery in it to power it. It was dim alright...

Else how about using a different coloured led instead of white? Yellow perhaps, on weak batts might give just about enough light for your purposes?

paulr

Flashaholic

Silverfox, what's an M1?

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Paulr,

The M1 is SureFire's infrared LED light.

You can see the M1 here

It has just a bit of a visible red glow when you turn it on. I was thinking it might be just enough to light up a watch, but it is just too dim.

Tom

paulr

Flashaholic

Ah, thanks. I begin to think that using a strong infrared emitter like that actually isn't such a great idea. It's not visible, and I know it's not ultraviolet, but it still can't exactly be helpful to the eyes, close-up, dark adapted, etc. I may look for some "cherry red" led's (690 nm or whatever, visible red but deeper than the usual 635mm red led).

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

I let an ARC AAA run overnight once. The battery was down FAR. That was pretty darn dim!

Where is the a link to a Garrity 3AA adjustable 1 LED? OH! Nevermind, I have one. I think it's still too bright on the lowest constantly on setting (and you must click through Brightest and 2ND Brightest to get there!

An ARC AAA with a used up battery is what I would choose.

paulr

Flashaholic

The AAA gets nice and dim after the battery runs down, but shut it off and let the battery recover for a few minutes, then turn it on and you get blasted with bright light again.

LightScene

Enlightened

When I wake up at night I reach for the red CMG Infinity. Yes, it's not dim, but if you point it away from you it doesn't bother your eyes. If you prefer to have a dimmer light, (I don't) then maybe a cheap silver oxide, coin cell light, with a red led would be suitable. Red is definitely easy on the eyes compared to white.

I have a Palight with the always on, and a white led. I have removed the rubber cover so that there is nothing obstructing the led. I still prefer the red infinity.

There's the answer to your question - a red Palight in the always-on mode.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

paulr, you must have really good eyes!
I have one of these really old blue leds, it runs for weeks on a 9 volt battery and is very very dim (but beautiful), if it's really what you want.

LightScene

Enlightened

Get an Indiglo travel alarm from Walmart for $10.
For a couple bucks more, get a radio controlled travel alarm with an electroluminescent backlight, and it will set itself to the atomic clock, including the date.
These things run on AAA's.

chanik

Newly Enlightened

I think the new Photon Freedom has the dimmest setting on purpose 30,000mcd to 30mcd

arab

Enlightened

Hi Chanik,

Any idea how long the Photon Freedom would last in it's dimmest (30mcd) mode? I.E. Could this be a form of "always on" as per the PAL Light?

Cheers

paulr

Flashaholic

I don't think the range is anything like 1000:1 and I don't think the led is at 30,000 mcd. I'd guess it's more like 1000 (lowest), 3000 (middle), 10,000 (highest). I don't have a Freedom but have played with a Scout a little and figure it's likely to be similar (except the Scout has two leds). Runtime in dimmest mode is probably in the hundreds of hours. I think the LED Museum has a current draw measurement for the Photon 3 which is probably also similar to the Freedom.

chanik

Newly Enlightened

I should have been more specific: very new Photon Freedom (IV) has the 1000:1 range. It is not very efficient at the lowest end since the microcontroller dominates the current drain there with 1.2mA. Batteries would only last ~4 days. LED museum has a review on it.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast

Paul;
I have the newest, and dimmest candidate for you......

It is one of the lightstick LEDs that we got in the last group buy..

It is a <font color="red">Red</font> one, as you might imagine....I can easily look into the LED and see it's little chip glowing faithfully. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It's running right now @ 1.81 volts, and drawing .38 mA -according to my DMM. -Been going for over 4 days on a completely SHOT L544 cell.
When I started the test, the cell measured 2.01 volts-open circuit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
p.s.-I can even read with it, and, (with adjusted eyes) can find my way around in a dark house without bumping into anything.

Chaz

Newly Enlightened

The Photon III covert at its lowest setting is what I use to check a watch or other item without bothering anyone else. If that is too bright, a small piece of tissue can be put in the covert housing to dim the light more.

Hobydog

Newly Enlightened

Paul,

I might have a contender for your list. My first flashlight mod was simply a 3v LED in a minim*g. The pins on the LED fit right in the pin holes for the old incandescent bulb, and I had to drill out the reflector just a mite to make room for the bulb, but it worked. As I found out later, though, it is considerably dimmer than even a CMG Infinity. Great run-time - on the order of a hundred hours or so - but NOT the light you want to use if you want to illuminate the next zip code. I use it as my walking-around-at-night-and-not-stub-my-toe light.

Hobydog

Newly Enlightened

I might have another idea for you. I'm remembering my old military days and the crookneck flashight we carried. One of the filters for it was a "blackout" filter - basically a piece of opaque white plastic, which cut about 95% of the light. It occurs to me that making a blackout filter out of the side of a milk jug or a bleach jug would give the same result.

bigbird

Newly Enlightened

Get a tritium Meprolight night sight for a pistol. The front site has one glow-tube that lasts forever, and is very tiny. Suitable for drilling for a keyring...

RayT

Newly Enlightened

PALLight when turned off. Emits a very dim light so that you can locate the light in the dark. It will last 2+ years in this mode.