Votes: 9 9.3%
  • 250 Lumens

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • 300+ Lumens

Votes: 29 29.9%

• Total voters

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tough question to answer since I have an HDS Rotary with variable output and just use however much light I need for a given task, but I would say that I generally keep it below 10 lumens.

Last edited:

dparr

Newly Enlightened
For walking the trails at night 60 lumens with a good spill is fine.

I also use a 150 lumens spotlight sometimes to make sure that I don't suprise any skunks.

kathunk

Newly Enlightened
I use anywhere from about 20 lumens to 130. Just depends on the situation, as others have mentioned. Think about what you will be doing on a daily basis, and how much light those tasks need. If you are just finding your door key standing at your house door, 20 lumens will be fine. If you are looking for a lost dog in the woods, well as much as you are willing to afford. :) Keep in mind battery costs as well. Rechargeables are great, as long as you are willing to maintain them. Some people prefer to just use consumables or at least have the option. Will you often be needing the light for many hours/days straight without access to AC power for a recharge? Or do you intend to come home every night and be able to check the batteries? Most rechargeables in most situations won't need checking every day, unless you are replacing headlights in your car in Alaska.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still using my Nitecore EX10 which i modded with a XR-E Q3-5A. I usually use it on high which is about 150 lumens.

rayman

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

+

Yep there are several similar threads.

For me:
outside, over 200lm
inside, less than 50lm usually (doing ceiling bounce lighting ect)
~If I need light in the garage for example, I often switch to high, moon mode just doesn't get it done.

Save yourself some time & just get a D25LC2

Last edited:

MoBait

Newly Enlightened
My lumen usage is pretty similar indoors and out. Moonlight - 50 lumens, mostly around 30. However, I do occasionally need 300+ to light up distant objects when outside.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually wind up using either High2 (~110lm) and Low2 (~0.2lm) on my ZL SC60.

Joe_Karp

Newly Enlightened
I own an E1L and E2L Surefire, and use the low beam almost exclusively. The 3 (HAS to be higher than that) lumen count keeps going and going, and especially on the E2L. So I voted for 30 Lumens.