When I was a child I used to think...

Arkayne

Enlightened
...that smoking a newspaper was the same smoking a cigarette.

until I tried it when I was 8. Maybe that's why I've been a non-smoker ever since. lol

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
-That as long as I couldn't see a person's eyes, they couldn't see me. It was great, all I had to do was lift a hand up in front of my face or cover my eyes, and *POOF* I wasn't there anymore!
-That no one else could hear all the weird little noises I'd make with my mouth all day. Eventually a teacher asked why I was making noises, and I was really embarresed and caught off guard. How did she know...?
-That my Commadore 64 was THE COOLEST thing in the world, and having to watch 30 mins of loading screens taught me patience. I'm convinced I was right about that second part. Ok, both parts.:grin2:
-That my Pac-Man wallpaper (still up in my parents house) came alive and moved around at night. I had to be told by my Dad that it was an "optical illusion". I still watched it move everynight anyway.
-That ghosts were completely real, were everywhere, dogs could see them, and you could kill them if you shot them with Laser Tag.

EVOeight

Newly Enlightened
When I was really little, I thought all dogs were male and all cats were female. Don't ask me how I thought that could work...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Omega Man said:
-That as long as I couldn't see a person's eyes, they couldn't see me. It was great, all I had to do was lift a hand up in front of my face or cover my eyes, and *POOF* I wasn't there anymore!

Nodding

-That my Commadore 64 was THE COOLEST thing in the world, and having to watch 30 mins of loading screens taught me patience.

Nodding again

-That ghosts were completely real, were everywhere, dogs could see them, and you could kill them if you shot them with Laser Tag.

I've always thought that many animals have a sixth sense. They can detect earthquakes before we can and they sometimes get spooked by what appears to be nothing.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
that i was a vetabarian to all lizardss now i am sure they all yelled earl here he comes again run

Sleestak

Newly Enlightened
(at different stages of my childhood)

...that if you swallowed gum, it would stay in your stomach for 20 years

...that roaches could run a hundred miles an hour

...that fireworks were the coolest thing in the world

...that burning ants with a magnifying glass was good sport

...that if you touched a fiberglass a/c filter, it could give you cancer

...that fog at night was a ghost party

...that creatures lived in the toilet, and that if I sat there too long at night they would come out and bite my weenie

...that the moon was actually the sun with the switch turned off

...that the .22 long rifle round was incredibly powerful

...that burning things was cool

...that girls had 'cooties'

...that putting cards in the spokes of my bicycle wheels was cool because it sounded like a motor

...that everybody had dark hair (I grew up in Okinawa and my mother and father had dark hair. I had snow white hair, but had no clue. Blew my mind the first time I saw a redhead in the states)

...that my father was the strongest man in the world

...that my mother was the most beautiful woman in the world. Right after my teacher, that is.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sleestak said:
...that fireworks were the coolest thing in the world

I used to believe this. I used to watch in awe every time they lit 'em up.

I'm grateful that I still do believe - I still watch - but now I have the camera on the tripod to back me up and I always try to get as close as possible these days. :D

aau.sized.jpg

It looks far away but when I was standing there, the shells burst almost overhead. It only looks far because I'm using an ultra, ultra wide angle lens that makes things look a bit further away than they really are.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a child I used to believe...
-That "they" would look out for you and protect you.
-Band-Aid's were magic (put them on for a while and no more boo boo!)
-My tricycle would fly if I could just peddle it fast enough (it had these great wings painted on the front fender)
-Most grown up's all went off to play gameshows and do talkshows all day (when I was home sick and watching TV it seemed like all the grown-ups in the world were on television gameshows).
-Something lived in the footlocker in the back of my closet. I used to set up booby-traps of clotheshangers and socks in case it tried to come out after dark.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sleestak said:
(at different stages of my childhood)

...that if you swallowed gum, it would stay in your stomach for 20 years

lol reminds me of another one. That if you swallowed seeds (orange, cucumber etc,) they would start growing in your stomach. It was actually a fear back then.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
When young, it alwayse amaze me everytime I saw a young child with glasses. (on TV, in real life.) I used to think that they studdied so much that they damaged their eyes. Adutls with glasses wasn't weird since eyes wear down as you get older anyhow. :shrug:

pathalogical

Enlightened
...that the white smoke left behind by high altitude airplanes was how they made clouds.

...that sleeping with your hands or feet over the edge of the mattress would be bitten off by monsters.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
...that there was a pot o' gold or at least something special at the end of a rainbow.

...that the sun and the moon were somehow tied together with a giant string so they wouldn't drift apart.

...that there was a brick wall at the End of the Universe. But I didn't know who built it, how tall it was, or what was on the other side of that wall.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
PhotonWrangler said:
...that there was a brick wall at the End of the Universe. But I didn't know who built it, how tall it was, or what was on the other side of that wall.
According to Star Trek: The Next Generation, the outer rim of the universe is a light blue area with these glowing white things slowly (~100mph) flying around.
roll2.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The_LED_Museum said:
According to Star Trek: The Next Generation, the outer rim of the universe is a light blue area with these glowing white things slowly (~100mph) flying around.
roll2.gif

But what's on the other side of the outer rim? Or is it wrapped around itself?
I'm getting a headache thinking about it! :laughing:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
eebowler said:
When young, it alwayse amaze me everytime I saw a young child with glasses. (on TV, in real life.) I used to think that they studdied so much that they damaged their eyes. Adutls with glasses wasn't weird since eyes wear down as you get older anyhow. :shrug:

It's true - sure was in my case.

I'm glad I started slacking in time to save my eyesight.

Latest posts