When was the last time you saw an incan in the wild?

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The plumbers I've met recently still seem to prefer incandescent.The super focused hot spot and weak spill lets them see things on the other side of an attic or crawl space without being blinded by the spill reflecting off of nearby surfaces.

--flatline

Dave MP

Newly Enlightened
My Parents home in WA. They still have my old 4D Maglite, and have several EverReady 2D plastic lights with the magnets in the switch stuck to breaker box, and basement freezer.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Most likely on the hip of the last NYPD officer I walked by. Due to regulations regarding flashlights, you still see a surprising number of incandescent Maglites around. With the inca. 2C being the absolute smallest that meet those regulations. From what I've seen, it seems Maglite still makes their inca. models. And I'm sure the inca. 2C is still easily available at many police supply shops. Not to mention on Amazon and eBay too. Helped no doubt by older officers pulling the newer ones aside and telling them what to buy in terms of gear, in order to comply with the regs.

Nephron44

Enlightened
Most likely on the hip of the last NYPD officer I walked by. Due to regulations regarding flashlights, you still see a surprising number of incandescent Maglites around. With the inca. 2C being the absolute smallest that meet those regulations. From what I've seen, it seems Maglite still makes their inca. models. And I'm sure the inca. 2C is still easily available at many police supply shops. Not to mention on Amazon and eBay too. Helped no doubt by older officers pulling the newer ones aside and telling them what to buy in terms of gear, in order to comply with the regs.

There are rules as to what flashlight you can and can't carry in New York??

Lumen83

Enlightened
Most likely on the hip of the last NYPD officer I walked by. Due to regulations regarding flashlights, you still see a surprising number of incandescent Maglites around.

Just curious if you knew what those regulations might be. Are they regulating, output, runtime, etc. for example? These just apply to police, right?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just curious if you knew what those regulations might be. Are they regulating, output, runtime, etc. for example? These just apply to police, right?

Yes, just to police officers. As far as I know, they pertain to size. But not sure sure about the other factors.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

They might have updated but the regulations use to pertain mostly to size and shape; Length no greater then 12.5 inches, no more then 3 D cell batteries, no less then 2 C cell batteries, cylinder in shape, runs on alkaline batteries, no modifications that would effect size or weight, no halogen or other high drain bulbs. Small secondary lights that are high drain/output could be carried in addition but not in lieu of the regulation light providing it doesn't conflict with the above in all except minimal size and battery capacity.

Frijid

Enlightened
When my mother was in the hospital from a stroke. Keep in mind this was a smallish town hospitial. In each room, they had 2D plastic rayovac flashlights on a rack. I guess they must have been for if the power goes out, but I know the hospitial has back up generators to power the whole hospital. It may have been to check pupil responses, because I read somewhere, someone said that pupils respond better to incan lights than led. Curosioty got the best of me and I opened it up and it had rayovac carbon zinc batteries in it. I flipped it on and it worked.

I've still got like 5 incan minimags. 4 are brand new and the 5th is the one I carried from 8th grade til graduation. I've got an old 2D incan mag and a new 2D xenon mag that I bought on clearance for like 10 bucks. Got plenty of replacement bulbs for all of them. Don't ever plan on using them again, but hey, its a nice nostalgia trip looking at them.

Frijid

Enlightened
There are rules as to what flashlight you can and can't carry in New York??

A buddy of mine worked as a security guard and he wasn't allowed to have anything at all with C or D batteries and no light longer than a certain length. Years ago someone else working as a security guard with the same outfit beat a perpetrator with a 4D mag really bad and they got taken to court and the company put a limit on flashlights. I assume it's similar for the police.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A buddy of mine worked as a security guard and he wasn't allowed to have anything at all with C or D batteries and no light longer than a certain length. Years ago someone else working as a security guard with the same outfit beat a perpetrator with a 4D mag really bad and they got taken to court and the company put a limit on flashlights. I assume it's similar for the police.

Thankfully there are no state regulations for security officers. At least not in New York. What you can carry depends on the regulations set forth by whichever private security company you work for or whatever individual rules the client hiring the company sets forth. Indeed, some have very strict regulations/rules. Such as nothing over a 2C Maglite in terms of size. Others are even more strict. Such as no metal bodied flashlights at all. (Those may or may not put restricts on length and size.)

Meanwhile other companies and clients may have absolutely zero restrictions in place. That's been my situation for the past four years. Just a few days back, I brought a vintage 6C Maglite to work to modify it during my break, and test it out during my foot-patrol of the large parking lots the client has. I left it sitting on top of the front desk while checking the monitors as numerous folks walked by to head home. No one batted an eye, no one said anything. There's a camera pointed at the front desk. And the client's representatives can access it from a laptop at their home. I never got called in, never questioned about it. And I knew it wouldn't be an issue.

Now, obviously, if something happened that was similar to what that individual did with the 4D Maglite, I'm sure major restrictions and policy changes would be put into place. But right now, no one cares.

I'd like to think the NYPD has official policy in place about flashlights being bright enough to get the job done, with runtimes lasting the length of an entire shift. But honestly not sure about that.

On Tuesday I was inventorying my lock out tag out box and found it contained a aaa size sealed light with a little incan bulb. Sadly DOA.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my way to work i saw another plastic incan in an early morning dog Walker's hand. Times like these i want to stop and trade it for something in my pocket but dogs don't take well to you jumping out and rushing towards their masters. Someone might see me with one of 3 new incans sent to me recently. All brand new from 2005. Don't know if they ever saw any use. St. Incan's day here we come!

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
To tell the truth I don't see any people using incan lights anymore during everyday life. The only exception would be when I myself rip out my SF M3 (still on incan) to illuminate the trails I'm walking.

But I know any LED beam profile and characteristics is no match to that of the filament, and so I carry my M3 as an EDC (inside my daypack) and have been doing so for the last 19 years.