Which A2 Aviator for aviation pilot duties?

Which A2 (or other light and why)

• Total voters

danpass

Newly Enlightened
So I've been reading thru a number of threads about a flashlight for flying duties.

A pilot had mentioned that the red LEDs on the A2 are still a touch too bright for night flying map reading duty. Later on in the thread someone recommended the Yellow/Green LED version.

Now (even though its been out a while) I see that there is a full green LED version.

Then I see that someone sanded the red LEDs a bit, toning down the light and smoothing out the pattern .... decisions, decisions.

So, pilots, which one?

thanks,
Dan

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own the red one myself and love it (but I'm not a pilot). Do you need to distinguish colors on the maps that you will be reading? If so, it's going to be nearly impossible with any of the color LEDs (non white). Just something to think about.

I recall reading on here that the YG is the easiest/softest on the eyes in the dark and can provide *some* color rendition. Others have noted that the white is too bright at times.

If you're going to be getting an A2 Aviator, you should take a look at this thread here (index of all the info on A2's that you could possibly want :)):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2026550

EDIT: Be sure to look at this thread too. It shows all the beams, brightness, and color rendering:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/119758

For what it's worth, my A2 remains my absolute favorite of my entire collection.

Robert

Last edited:

hippy

Newly Enlightened
personal preference I guess. Still working on my private pilot certificate, but the plane my instuctor and I take out has red lighting in it for map lights.

check this thread about Night Vision Preservation.

danpass

Newly Enlightened
but reading an aviation chart with red makes me wonder about unintentionally busting Bravo lol

notamchris

Newly Enlightened
Ra Twisty. You can have a twisty with low red if you want, but I prefer a nice low white - it still doesn't hurt your night vision if it is low enough and it allows good color rendition. Plus it is built like a tank and twist it a little farther to have brighter levels that work well for walk around's and other general uses where you might need a bit more light.