Which cofee machine to buy?

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean your grinder? Why? You should not need to do that very often. If you want fresh-ground coffee every day you simply throw away the first coffee you grind to get rid of any old coffee still in there. If you find pre-ground coffee ok, you can probably live just fine with one day old too.

Just my 0.02 lumen...

Makarov

Enlightened
onthebeam said:
The last time Consumer Reports rated machines, they found no correlation between price and qualilty. They top rated a $30 Braun. I can vouch for that as I've had my Braun for 19 years. It's still going strong.
This happened here in Norway as well, a relatively cheap Braun beat all the other "good" brewers (including Moccamaster)
But they also said that the most important thing about coffebrewers is the cleaning. Whatever type you decide on, you have to keep it CLEAN, or your coffe'll taste like S**T :rant:

While I consume a lot of coffe each day, I can't call myself a connoisseur, as I'm willing to drink almost anything as long as it's hot (somedays cold as well when I'm in a hurry ;) )

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Germans sure know their poop! :)

A bit off topic: If you have ever taken a Italian coffee machine apart to do some service there is a 30 % chance you will get yourself killed due to the electrical layout and choise of cable colors. Using the same color for phase and earth and not connecting the earth to the chassis is not exactly an unusual sight in an Italian machine... They usually makes great coffee though...
No affence to anyone! :grouphug:

Last edited:

dca2

Enlightened
Addicted to caffeine and in college? Get the caffeine from organic chemistry and freebase! :devil:

Don't, really, its lethal in extremely small doses.

dca2

Enlightened
Here's some useful info from CR:

Features that count
Some details make coffee-making a snap; others just sound good

A MATTER OF TASTE Thermal carafes and mugs, shown here, tend to maintain flavor better than glass carafes do.

Full-size coffeemakers can be full of features, but not all of them add much. Here, we separate the worthwhile from the so-so.

Programmable setting. Found on most of the full-size models, as noted in the Ratings, it lets you set the time the coffeemaker starts brewing--handy if fresh-coffee scent helps propel you out of bed.

Thermal carafe/thermal mug. An insulated carafe, found on some tested models identified in the Ratings, not only keeps coffee hot for hours but also helps keep flavor from deteriorating. Hamilton Beach (5) has a full-size thermal carafe plus two mini-carafes. Some one-cup coffeemakers, such as the Melitta (26) and Cuisinart (28), come with two thermal mugs that can travel with you.

Small-batch setting. It adjusts the flow of water through the coffee grounds to prevent you from getting a bitter or weak brew when making one to four cups. This setting is on a handful of coffeemakers called out in the Ratings.

Brew-strength control. Found on several tested models noted in the Ratings, it diverts water past the coffee grounds to produce a weaker brew or slows water flow for a stronger brew. Results are a bit more consistent with dark roasts and fine grinds than with light roasts or coarse grinds.

Pause and serve. Most machines let you pull away the carafe to fill a cup without flooding the countertop. But if you pour after only a cup or two is in the carafe, coffee can be too strong. Models that lack pause and serve: Hamilton Beach (5), KitchenAid (10), Bunn (20), Melitta (26, 31), Black & Decker (27, 33), Cuisinart (28), Gevalia (29), Toastess (30), and Senseo (32).

Auto shutoff. This feature turns off the heating element, compensating for human forgetfulness. Most have a preprogrammed time; others let you set the time. Models with no auto shutoff are Braun (1), Black & Decker (11), Farberware (13), Proctor Silex (15, 22), Bunn (20), and Toastess (30).

Controls on the side. Some people might appreciate a coffeemaker that you turn sideways, taking up less depth on the counter, such as the Zojirushi (16) and Proctor Silex (19).

Longer warranty. Most are for one year. The Cuisinart (7, 23, 28) and Bunn (20) are under warranty for three years; KitchenAid (10), Proctor Silex (15, 18), Toastess (30), and Senseo (32), two years; Proctor Silex (19, 22), only six months.

Spare carafe. A replacement for a broken glass carafe can cost $10 to $15, almost as much as some of the plain-Jane coffeemakers that use them. Replacement thermal carafes cost about $25 to $75. If you need a spare to serve guests who are split between caffeinated and decaf, consider buying a generic thermal carafe from a kitchen store.

Of dubious value

Self-clean cycle. Sending a mix of water and white vinegar through the machine usually cleans effectively. There's little need for a special cycle; it just holds the cleaning solution longer.

Water filter. It's supposed to eliminate off-tastes and odors. But you must replace it after a specified number of pots (at about $5 per filter) to prevent bacteria buildup. If water quality is a worry, a whole-house or faucet filter may be a better choice than a coffeemaker filter.

Carafe prewarm. This setting heats the carafe before the coffee drips in. In theory, that helps keep coffee warmer longer. In practice, it doesn't make much difference.

Grinder. Built-in bean grinders can be annoying to use and clean. Grounds tend to spill, and you may need to upend the machine to empty residues. A separate burr-type grinder should work better.

Temperature adjustment. You can set the temperature of some hot plates, from about 160 to 190 degrees. But we found that all plates kept coffee hot enough--about 175 degrees.

dca2

Enlightened
"How about the ratings?" you ask. Hope this helps:

CR Quick Recommendations Drip coffeemakers

Almost all the machines earned at least good scores overall. Your choice will depend on how much coffee you brew, features, price, the look you like, and how important it is to tweak brew strength.

The Ratings list models in order of overall quality based on convenience, pouring (some carafes tend to spill coffee), and ability to produce a range of brew strengths. Quick Picks takes into account other considerations, including coffee-drinking habits and price.

Quick Picks

Best values for the basics:
1 Braun $20, CR Best Buy Aromaster KF400
3 Black & Decker $35 SmartBrew DCM2500
11 Black & Decker $25 SmartBrew DCM2000
12 Hamilton Beach $40 BrewStation 47114
15 Proctor Silex $20 Easy Morning 41331

The Braun (1) is top-rated and inexpensive, but it lacks auto shutoff and produces 10 especially small cups of coffee. All have a glass carafe except the Hamilton Beach (12), which dispenses coffee into mugs that are pushed against its lever--convenient at parties. Black & Decker carafes were easiest to pour fast without dribbling. All but the Braun take a cupcake filter.

Best values for extra features:
4 Braun $60 FlavorSelect KF180
5 Hamilton Beach $60 Stay Or Go 45234

Both are programmable. The Braun (4) makes 12 cups and has a glass carafe. The Hamilton Beach (5) has a full-size thermal carafe (eight cups) plus two insulated mugs. Both models take a cone filter.

Best for one or two cups:
26 Melitta $20, CR Best Buy Take 2 ME2TM
It's easy to use and versatile in changing brew strength. Coffee goes into one or two insulated mugs, which fit side by side.

Last edited:

NickelPlate

Enlightened
Just a basic Mr. Coffee machine here. I think I paid like $25. Works for me.

Dave

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
(glockboy was right) you are making a BIG MISTAKE if you don't go to

SWEETMARIAS.COM and do what they say.

thank goodness you didn't decide on a perc machine; there's no better way to ruin good beans and get the worst out of coffee; (pouring reheated coffee back over already brewed grinds, over and over..yuch-o!)

most machines make lousy coffee because they don't get the brew water HOT enough. (at least 190 -- 200F is better) but you'll never know the difference if you get a crummy machine and have never had a correctly brewed cup to compare it to....

go to sweet marias, do some research, life is too short to drink skunk water.
here I'll make it easy for ya:

These electric coffee brewers made in the Netherlands are good enough to be certified by the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA). They brew at 200 degrees Fahrenheit from start to finish, every single time.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.technivorm.shtml

more money than you want to spend on coffee brewing? then don't get a machine, get a hot plate and a drip filter, or a vacuum system.

obey or drink swill. I have spoken.

AshA4

Banned
The FREE coffee maker I am using currently, replacing my previous FREE coffee maker is from www.Gevalia.com I use to be a customer of theirs (mail-order) a few years ago, then cancelled my subscription. Ever since then they have sent me FREE offers, mostly just coffee makers or stainless travel mugs to re-up my subscription. The offers usually require you to pay for one package of their blends, very good coffee, and they give you FREE goods. Now their coffee is a little expensive but it is definately good quality grounds. Something to consider and good luck.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
DieselDave said:
I just don't think it's worth the time involved. I think there is far more flavor difference in the type coffee you buy than there is in pre-ground vs beans.
I used to grind coffee in a $20 blade grinder and that is what I used to think too untill I got the Solis Maestro Plus Conical Burr, now I can taste the spicey,Chocolate-cocoa,winey,fruited and citric in the coffee.
goto http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.roasted.html and take a look around their site, you can learn alot.

AJ_Dual

Enlightened
It might be kind of large for a college student, but if you drink multiple cups a day, or will be sharing the coffee, I found a great machine for my father as a Christmas present. A Hamilton Beach "Brewstation". Any of the models on the top two rows of this page:

http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/kitchen_appliances/beverage/coffeemakers_12/

The coffee resivoir is up above where the filter would normaly just be, so there's no fragile glass carafe to lose or break, ever. Just stick your mug in and fill up. And with no carafe, there's one less part to wash. Usualy you've got the filter basket, a lid, the carafe, and maybe one or two more pieces. This just has the resivoir, and a filter basket. There's no exposed hot plate to burn yourself on, or stink up the room when coffee drips down onto it.

My BIL reccomended it, as he's the familly coffee expert/snob. He's a musician, but worked in a coffee shop through high school and much of college.

My parents love it.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
winny said:
Clean your grinder? Why? You should not need to do that very often. If you want fresh-ground coffee every day you simply throw away the first coffee you grind to get rid of any old coffee still in there. If you find pre-ground coffee ok, you can probably live just fine with one day old too.

Just my 0.02 lumen...

The problem wth my particular machine is moisture gets into the grinder area during the brewing (steam) and makes mud of what was left during the grinding process.

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
DieselDave,

Now I understand, your grinder is integrated into your brewer. Sounds like a flaw in the design if the moisture gets in there...

While on the subject of coffee, my standing offer for free coffee/espresso/cappuccino for all CPFers still goes. Drop me a PM if you happened to be in Gothenburg and want some coffee...

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
thought all you press users would like to know how to improve the taste of your coffee, at least I'd say 50% if not greater with no additional equipment or expense..

I have been drinking press coffee (I roast the beans too) for years and I just 'discovered' (actually Tom at SweetMarias.com writes about it) this technique and have been using it a few weeks, and can now say it absolutely, definitely, makes a big improvement..hard to believe but true:

HERE'S HOW

1) you should have your grind adjusted so the press brewing time is 4 minutes.

2) after 2 minutes brewing lift the top offthe press and STIR for a coupla seconds.

3) replace top, proceed as you norbally would...

TELL ME if it doesn't taste better!!

...what you're doing is basically what pro cuppers do when they compare dozens of coffees at test tastings; after the hot water is poured into the grounds it is allowed to sit, then after the cupper appreciates the brewing aroma, he 'breaks' the crust of coffee that has formed on the surface which releases a lot of oils and flavor into the rest of the cup -- which is what you are doing when you stir the coffee in the press..makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

why didn't I tthink of that? why didn't you? :huh2: :thumbsup:

onthebeam

Enlightened
glockboy said:
I used to grind coffee in a $20 blade grinder and that is what I used to think too untill I got the Solis Maestro Plus Conical Burr, now I can taste the spicey,Chocolate-cocoa,winey,fruited and citric in the coffee.
goto http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.roasted.html and take a look around their site, you can learn alot.

The Maestro is my grinder, too. It's excellent and well worth the money. It will last pretty much forever.

Latest posts