Which Commercially Made P60 has Best Throw?

harddrive

Enlightened
I have most all of them: Malkoff, Pila, Wolf Eyes, Nailbender... The one you want for 30 odd bucks is the Dereelight with an XP-E and smoothe reflector. (OP is fine as well, less ringy) I agree the Malkoff and some of the custom units are better, but your criteria eliminates them. Go Dereelight from flashlight connection and use the CPF discount, you won't be disappointed.

Dereelight XP-E? I thought they only made XR-E or XP-G?

mdocod

Flashaholic
Any Q5-R-something emitter in a 26 mm reflector running ~1 - 1.2A is going to have a peak lux between ~8K and ~12K depending on a few factors.

In actual use, that's not enough difference for it to matter. Don't fret over this more than you need to. If you aren't willing to spring for the TIR optic of a MalkOff (which will generate the most useful down-range illumination in this size class of units), then just grab a smooth reflector unit that runs an amp or more and call it a day. Probably going to be a deree unit.

Eric

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
XR-E R3 is still a ??? Rumor ??? ..

XP-E is available in R3

And waiting for the much expected XP-G S2 ... So holding off on buying more R5's .. I have several lights waiting for the S2 :popcorn:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several lights waiting for the S2 :popcorn:

ME TOO!

does anyone make a TIR optic drop-in for XPG yet?

I think an Anto XPG s2 with a smooth reflector would probably
throw pretty well! Especially in a fivemega C-turbo extension head!

I might have to try the deree tho if I cant hold out...

recDNA

Flashaholic
Any Q5-R-something emitter in a 26 mm reflector running ~1 - 1.2A is going to have a peak lux between ~8K and ~12K depending on a few factors.

In actual use, that's not enough difference for it to matter. Don't fret over this more than you need to. If you aren't willing to spring for the TIR optic of a MalkOff (which will generate the most useful down-range illumination in this size class of units), then just grab a smooth reflector unit that runs an amp or more and call it a day. Probably going to be a deree unit.

Eric

Willing to? Where are these Malkoffs in stock?

What is the lux at 1m for a M60? I've never heard that M60's were great throwers.

Last edited:

harddrive

Enlightened
Willing to? Where are these Malkoffs in stock?

What is the lux at 1m for a M60? I've never heard that M60's were great throwers.

I have owned a few Dereelights with Q5 and R2 XRE and SMO reflector. They had significantly better throw than my M60.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have owned a few Dereelights with Q5 and R2 XRE and SMO reflector. They had significantly better throw than my M60.

That's what I thought.

Still, none of these drop ins have the lux of the old T20C2 and that surprises me. Then again the Eagletac probably has a bigger reflector.

As XP-G's replace the R2's in more and more popular flashlights I'm concerned that it's going to be tougher and tougher to find good throwers.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hello recDNA,

Part of the "willing" aspect would be the waiting, sorry :)

Reflector loaded LEDs with smooth texturing will produce a tighter central beam than the 8 degree TIR found in the MalkOff Modules, but having a tighter beam by itself doesn't necessarily mean more useful down-range illumination. The TIR optic gathers up many of those lumens that are dumped as spill light in a reflector configuration and moves them into the (albeit wider) central beam. In an ordinary LED loaded D26 reflector, you can expect 50% or more of the light coming out the front to be in the spill and not in the central beam. While the peak lux may be higher in those reflector loaded configurations, the spill light being so strong in contrast winds up offsetting the usefulness of the central beam because it creates it's own blinding effect off of closer objects.

Eric

recDNA

Flashaholic
None of the major manufacturers market an SST-50 drop in yet right? When they do would we expect an SST-50 in an 1 X IMR18650 setup to beat an R2?

TriChrome

Enlightened
None of the major manufacturers market an SST-50 drop in yet right? When they do would we expect an SST-50 in an 1 X IMR18650 setup to beat an R2?
In my experience, no (if we're still talking about standard P60/D26 sized reflectors that is).

The much larger die of the SST-50 makes the light inherently flood, not throw compared to the smaller size LED's in the same reflector.

My 600+ lumen SST-50 (2.8 amps) D26 would be out-thrown by my little 220 lumen NiteCore SR3 with an R2 (similar sized reflector)

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
some...I have measured more than 15% output difference from host to host...best where Huntlight Ft-01, THEN Surefire 6P, Soalrforce L2 and superfire wf-501.....

I have seen that you dislike buying from DX&KD but I have to say that the SMOOTH Cree module that they sell has the same reflector the Derrelight does (or the other way around actually).....there is no reason spending more money if you already have a Q5/R2 dropin....

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
recDNA,

Are you looking for just putting a concentrated beam out as far as possible or using the light as a general use thrower?

If you are just looking to project the most concentrated beam, an aspheric lens (along with the appropriate drop in) will get a beam WAY out there, but with no spill, and IMO very little practical uses for anything up close.

Otherwise, any reflectored XR-E based light driven at 1A or so will be okay for a general use, throwy light.

As TriChrome mentioned, the SST-50 in a D26 will NOT give you a nice concentrated beam. It will throw a whole bunch of light out there (pretty impressive actually), but most small-die reflectored drop ins will out distance it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Another poster said he made that model into a thrower by changing the reflector. Have you read that thread?

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another poster said he made that model into a thrower by changing the reflector. Have you read that thread?

I believe so. I think he took the pill out of the D26 reflector and transplanted that into the larger reflector?

If you are looking at something larger than the D26/P60 format, then there are more options I would imagine.

recDNA

Flashaholic
some...I have measured more than 15% output difference from host to host...best where Huntlight Ft-01, THEN Surefire 6P, Soalrforce L2 and superfire wf-501.....

I have seen that you dislike buying from DX&KD but I have to say that the SMOOTH Cree module that they sell has the same reflector the Derrelight does (or the other way around actually).....there is no reason spending more money if you already have a Q5/R2 dropin....

The reason is I want nothing to do with Paypal.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I believe so. I think he took the pill out of the D26 reflector and transplanted that into the larger reflector?

If you are looking at something larger than the D26/P60 format, then there are more options I would imagine.

Ya, he used the MC-E reflector from a DBS. Says it significantly improves throw. I can't buy Nailbender cause no Paypal but I could wait for another SST-50 drop in to come out. I'm sure eventually Dereelight will make one.

I see Lighthound has a Nailbender SST-90 available but too expensive for me. I'm a $99.99 max guy.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I have tested Nailbenders XP-E R3....

Even at 230 OTF lumens the XP-E R3 still cant beat the older XR-E R2 in terms of throw. The beam is a bit purple/white vs. Green/white of the XR-E from Dereelight I have.

King of P60 drop-in throw still is IMHO Dereelight R2 with smooth reflector and 1.2A driver.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya, he used the MC-E reflector from a DBS. Says it significantly improves throw. I can't buy Nailbender cause no Paypal but I could wait for another SST-50 drop in to come out. I'm sure eventually Dereelight will make one.

I put a Nailbender SST-50 in my SMO DBS reflector last November and it's still there - perfect balance of throw and spill in a pocketable format.

But, it's a lot bigger than a D26/6P sized light, and when the SST-50 was in a SMO D26 reflector it was pretty much all flood and my M60s out threw it.

I have a few Dereelight XR-E R2 D26 modules, but I seem to recall my Bugout "Super Premium" dropin module had a deeper reflector and threw really well.