Which E2D Lens

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard of both flat, and domed lens on these. Is there a preference, difference, dissadvantage to either that should be considered before buying?
Thanks

CLHC

Flashaholic
"Flat" and "domed" lens? Don't know really. Maybe the "domed" is in reference to the TIR type lens found on the upcoming LED series.

Enjoy!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
A domed lens is supposedly a stronger design than flat (roman arch idea I guess) :)

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
AFAIK, the E2D comes only with, and has always come only with, the domed Pyrex lens. I do not know the specific engineering reason for this. I might guess that if the E2D is ever used in a defensive mode, a domed piece of glass is stronger and less likely to fail.

I do not know if you could just substitute the flat glass from an E2E or why you would want to.

Mark

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire no longer uses the term "lens"

The insides of the bezel are protected by a "window"
Usually of tempered Pyrex with AR coatings. In some cases a domed window is used. This increases the strength, internal volume and most importantly means the window does not act like a 'mirror' to give away your position.

SureFire tends to use reflectors to collect and generate the beams. However, in some LED flashlights SureFire uses an "optic" known as a TIR or total internal reflectance non-imaging optic.

The change of terminology was made a while back so that windows and optics can be differentiated rather than calling them both a type of "lens".

The E2d originally came with a domed Pyrex window. In recent times a standard flat Pyrex window as been used. There are many possible reasons for this. For example: perhaps all the domed windows are currently required for X200 units.

There is no difference in the beams that I can tell. I have not had to evaluate the strength performance. I've had no failures through use or deliberate abuse etc.

Al

CLHC

Flashaholic
Wow! uV àjéD! Learned something about SureFire "windows" this evening. . .Now I understand a bit more on this. Thanks!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last year I bought two E2D's from a SF dealer and oddly enough received one
of each. Thinking maybe the dealer was up to something "funny" I called SF
and the technical rep told me they are no longer making the domed version
because it was to costly of a process. I felt that was a very true and sincere
statement.

Spent many batteries trying to see which was preferred. In the end...

- the flat had IMO a slightly higher quality periphial edge.
- the dome would be more inclined to scratches due to it's design.
- the flat lens gave more of a blinding effect when viewed straight on.
- the dome seemed to collect internal dust faster/easier.

Note- In addition to the above, the domed lens version's body was also
machined quite differently, not as user comfortable.

The timeline for the change in lens design and body design may have been
strictly coincidence, never asked SF that question.

Just my findings for what they are worth.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Interesting experience Seery! Learning all the more here about "windows," "lens," "optics," "domed," and "flats."

Size15's

Flashaholic
I've not scratched any Pyrex window through EDC or use. The domed windows do collect dust (mostly lint I guess?)

I've not been able to tell the difference between domed E2d and flat E2e. I have a few of each and there is no obvious beam difference to my eyes. There is beam-to-beam difference as always but no pattern to the beam variation that I can tell relates to whether or not a domed window is used.

Al