Which EDC flash light can use 123 and AA batteries?

OCD

Enlightened
I'm not trying to talk you out of the RRT-0 as I will hopefully be ordering one soon! :naughty: But the Quark gives you one more option over AA and CR123....2AA. This is nice for a) longer run time over the single AA when that is the battery type of choice and b) I provides a slightly larger light if that feel is preferred for the situation...maybe in cold weather with gloves on??

Just my 2 cents.

vudoo

Enlightened
Thanks guys for all your input. It is much appreciated.

I have narrowed it down to the Dereelight C2H and the RRT-0. As much as I love my TI Quark's I was lucky with them and got fairly white LED's. I do not want to run the risk of getting a green tinted LED

From reading the reviews both the C2H and RRT-0 are great lights but at this stage I am I am leaning towards the C2H.

The C2H has less working parts (as cool as the ring is I can do with just a clicky and one less thing to go wrong), is slightly shorter and cheaper (I can use the extra $$ to buy some new RCR123's). However my main aim was to get a EDC which for 80% of the time I run on rechargeable 3.7volt RCR123's and if need be, screw on the extension tube and throw in a AA. However there is a over-discharge protection (which I don't understand fully how it works) that I don't think will allow me to do this. I have emailed Alan to clarify...

The RRT-0 on the other hand is super cool, has an excellent build quality but is a bit more expensive.

vudoo

Enlightened
After reading a few threads I think I understand how the over-discharge circuit works. Correct me if I am wrong....

The over-discharge circuit is there so that if you use unprotected batteries, it will automatically turn off the light when the battery drops below a certain voltage. This helps to protect the battery, however, this means that it cannot be used with primary CR123's as they have a lower voltage of 3.0 volts.
To get the best of both worlds, cut the circuit and use protected RCR123 and that will also allow you to use primary CR123's and AA's

Did I get this right? :thinking:

I read that on high, it only draws 1amp so I shoudl be perfectly fine to use AW RCR123's?
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=144427

Willie

Newly Enlightened
Or, you can get the lovely Liteflux I recommended. You can program it for protected or unprotected cells, so you can use both.

I'm so impressed with that light that I'm buying the AAA version as well.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Deerelight C2H.

I have done a (Danish) review here, with lots of photos and compared beam shots with other lights.

I'd also add that this light is one less piece than the Quark when converting power sources (the Quark has you changing the tailcap from one body to another, you just add the extender for the Dereelight C2H)

vudoo

Enlightened
Or, you can get the lovely Liteflux I recommended. You can program it for protected or unprotected cells, so you can use both.

I'm so impressed with that light that I'm buying the AAA version as well.

I did look into this light but the voltage starts at 2.0 volts so it cannot use 1xAA. It does come with a 2xAA battery tube but I think that is too long and no longer considered a EDC. Back to reviweing the C2H and RRT-0

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three CR123a's are the same length as 2 AA batteries, so some lights that take three cr123a's may work with 2 AA's though the AA's are skinnier and often require some type of battery sleeve to keep them from bouncing around in the body. I'm not aware of many aftermarket versions, Dspeck used to offer a battery sleeve. I don't think Vital Gear ever offered one. You can make one out of the right size and thickness of pvc pipe.

futz

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know which EDC flashlight besides the Jetbeam RRT-0 that can use both CR123 and AA batteries with an extension tube? I seem to remember another brand that offered this but cant seem to find out who it was even after searching? :thinking:
The Romisen RC-N3's (all seven models) all work with either 2-AA or 1-CR123A. I don't know how good they are, but they are cheap. I'm thinking of buying a Romisen just to see what they're like.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh! yeah I forgot about those.

the romisen rc-n3 from shiningbeam was my first "good" light purchase. I still have the light.. really nice for the price!