Which little light?? - sorry if inappropriate

Somy Nex

Enlightened
Re: Which little light??

Within your price point, perhaps a Jetbeam MKII/LiteFlux/Fenix LxT would be good. With a 3v input most of these will give you LuxIII brightness, and, in a pinch, LuxI brightness on an easily available 1.5vAA. they all have their strenghts and weaknesses and flashlightreviews.com has all of them reviewed i believe.

If you want to go for a higher price point, apart from the FF3, you could also consider the Jil Intelli, which uses the same flupic module as the FF3. Using a smaller battery, it is smaller than the FF3, but will have a lower high, and less runtime than the FF3. However if you don't need a scorcher (it isn't that much dimmer than the FF3 and scorching is best left to bigger lights anyway) and if you don't need very long runtimes, then it is a very good choice. It's got a very small footprint, and has a very tough, high quality finish. It also has a variety of battery tubes you can use different types/sizes of batteries with. I would also trust it to be more waterproof than the FF3.

Jil Intelli 2nd from left. click on pic for larger.

you can check out beamshots in the corridor link on my sigline. i was going to take bike shot pics of the Jil over last weekend but did not manage to. maybe next weekend.

Last edited:

lukebacon

Newly Enlightened
Oh...perhaps a little too much for me first time around unfortunately then...

Dandrop

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest the Fenix P1 as your first 'serious flashlight'.

1. It is cheap (around $40). IMHO, it has the most value for your money. If you lose it, you won't really cry. I do own several 'high end' lights but this will definitely be my EDC from now on. The high end ones are usually relegated to being shelf queens or just to see what you walls look like at night. We are often afraid to use them because we might drop them, scratch them etc. Not so with the P1
2. It is very bright, has some pretty good throw and a very useable light spill.
3. It is very small and light. Clips to your keychain and the amount of light it produces is better than a lot of torches 2 or 3 times the size.
4. You can use standard CR123 or rechargeables. And the runtime is awesome (about 1.4 hours on primaries from what i've read)

My new Fenix P1 will replace my Jil 1.3 (original). The size is almost identical. It is half the cost of the Jil but produces light that is waaaay brighter than the Jil. In fact, the P1 will kick some of my higher end lights costing 2-4 times as much.

Some don't like the P1 because it isn't 2 stage (no high or low level) or because it isn't a clicky. To each his own i guess. I like the P1 because it is simple to use, just twist and out come a bright beam of light and also it is cheap to start with and you can use rechargeables. It even comes with a great holster!

The Arc-AAA is a good light for a different reason and for a different use. Runtime is great but the light output is inadequate for me. I consider it as my emergency light and one resides in my medical kit. But be informed that the ARC-AAA will basically have no throw at all. Just a limited useful flood for close quarters.

Check out flashlightreviews and compare the throw and output for the Arc-AAA and Fenix P1, they are apples and oranges... not even close.

The P1 is for me the best small light without going custom.

lukebacon

Newly Enlightened
I agree-good summary!

I just took the plunge and ordered a P1 from Fenix-Store. With any luck I should have it by the end of the week-but I don't know how quick their international delivery is...

Huge thanks to everybody who helped in this thread.

(will look at batteries/charger later)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took the plunge and ordered a P1 from Fenix-Store. With any luck I should have it by the end of the week-but I don't know how quick their international delivery is...

A week at most...then nice little brown jiffy bag will be plopping onto your doormat.
biggrin.gif

As carrot said though...no battery included...get yourself that CR123 charger I linked or buy a few disposable CR123's from "7dayshop.com" to tide you over (don't pay highstreet prices for them...total rip-off).
rant.gif

Enjoy your new toy...cracking little light!
buttrock.gif

CFU

lukebacon

Newly Enlightened
I think I'll splash out on the charger as well!! - thanks again for all the help...

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in the UK as well Luke. I agree with the post above that a good UK place to get cheap 123's is from Sevendayshop.com. They do better offers if you get a box of 6 or so. Whatever you do, don't go to the Highstreet and get them for £6 from Boots/Woolworths, etc.

If you find you are getting through them a bit quick, go to somewhere like Lighthound.com and get a couple of rechargeables and a Nano charger for about £10 including delivery.

Only thing with the P1 is to get the correct brand of 123's. Some have a plastic washer at the negative end which may cause them not to work in the P1 depending on which batch your one came from.

In the meantime, if you live anywhere around Windsor, Staines, Bracknell, send me a Personnel message and I'll drop you off 5 or so 123's to be going on with for free.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've only had my Civictor V1 for a day, but I can heartily recommend it. For a touch less than $30 shipped it seems to be a lot of light for the money. Easily pocketable and bright, it even comes with a sheath, lanyard, and spare o-ring.

Geoff

lukebacon

Newly Enlightened
Jay R said:
In the meantime, if you live anywhere around Windsor, Staines, Bracknell, send me a Personnel message and I'll drop you off 5 or so 123's to be going on with for free.

I suppose Petersfield/Steep is too far down for you??
I'll probably get hold of some rechargeables anyway...
EDIT: are these right?? and does anyone know whether I should go for 'protected' or 'unprotected' ?? (Is this the rubber ring described?)

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/rechargeable_lithium_batteries.htm

Last edited:

lukebacon

Newly Enlightened
No worries-have just ordered protected batteries and charger for £15 - better value than the other shop I think-just I'll have to wait a couple of days for it...I suppose I don't mind though

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit out of the way for me. Sorry.

Protected means that there is a small circuit inside the battery that stops it from being overcharged, over discharged and shortcircited.

lukebacon

Newly Enlightened
Not a problem-I would have thought so. Batteries should arrive by mid-next week anyway so will be fine-I think I have one or two at home to be starting off with!