Which Novatac did you buy AND why?

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
120P- longer run time on lower settings, and the photon fredom... this is just a Brigter, better, stronger, more expensive, verson of that light.

discohero

Newly Enlightened
Lots of good points made! Keep them coming this is getting very interesting and informative. :popcorn:

DM51

Flashaholic
Did anyone buy the EDC (basic) model?
Great question! I haven't seen anyone post about this yet.

Reading between the lines, I think the 120 basic is the same as the 120T but with the flat tailcap, ie it is a 120T that will tailstand. The reason I think this is because the instruction leaflet for the 120T is also for the 120 basic. The 120P instruction leaflet are different.

stldnder

Newly Enlightened
Great question! I haven't seen anyone post about this yet.

Reading between the lines, I think the 120 basic is the same as the 120T but with the flat tailcap, ie it is a 120T that will tailstand. The reason I think this is because the instruction leaflet for the 120T is also for the 120 basic. The 120P instruction leaflet are different.

The 120 Basic has the same tailcap as the 120T - it does not tailstand. I think the primary difference between the Basic and T (in both the 85 and 120 lumen models) is the T's momentary on (tactical) capability.

DM51

Flashaholic
Thanks - I did not realise the Basic had the same tailcap as the T. In that case it's rather hard to see the point of it, really, especially as it costs the same as the T and P models. Does it have any feature at all that the others don't?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i got two a 85p which i tried to change to a 85t but now i am glad the 85p came as they are going to sell tail caps anyway.also a 120p.wht two well always have a back up IMO.plus i can set 8 different light options between the two every lighting task catered for IMO.

stldnder

Newly Enlightened
Thanks - I did not realise the Basic had the same tailcap as the T. In that case it's rather hard to see the point of it, really, especially as it costs the same as the T and P models. Does it have any feature at all that the others don't?

If I understand correctly the EDC (Basic) models do not have any additional features. I believe the T version offers the momentary (tactical) on feature and that is the only difference between the two. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I have to agree with you on the pricing structure. It didn't make much sense to me either.

Additional information (added)

Here's the information from NovaTac's site:

Tactical - disorienting strobe
momentary tactical or click on via tactical button
primary: 85/120 lumens
secondary: 10 lumens
minimum: 0.3 lumens
turns on to maximum (primary) every time

Basic - emergency strobe
primary: 10 lumens
secondary: 42 lumens
maximum: 85/120 lumens

Last edited:

cdosrun

Enlightened
I think the primary differences between the EDC and T versions are the programming which, because they can't be reprogrammed, could be relevant.

From memory (yes I read all the manuals online because I am still waiting for my 120p to arrive) the EDC model doesn't have the disorienting strobe (only emergency) and vice versa with the T model. Also, the T is designed to come on at full on primary whereas the EDC comes on much lower.

Lighthound has a comparison table here http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=30

Andrew

KenAnderson

Enlightened
The advantage of the P model is that the light can be set up as a T or a Basic or any other config you can dream up. Also, add the tac button at a later date. I myself mostly only use the adjustable light levels although I must say that when I tested the strobe I was stunned (literally).

:D

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 120P. As said before you can set it any way you like including tactical or basic. As to the $40 price difference, I figure I will be using this light quite a while and will forget about the money before I'd forget I didn't get the 120 lumens.:D YMMV

cslinger

Enlightened
85P to be my basic around the house light to be set up as I see fit.
120T to be my EDC light as it is more suitable for my needs out of the box in this regard.

This mimics my original HDS purchase of a U42 and a Basic 60LE, which has worked perfectly for me.

Chris

xiaowenzu

Banned
Definitely get the 120P!

It works out to be $1.25 per Lumen, so, it's much CHEAPER than the 85P... which is $1.29 per Lumen. :crackup:

discohero

Newly Enlightened
I love stats, and that's one I haven't thought of calculating, the lumens/dollar ratio. Very interesting and practical at the same time! :naughty:

SaVaGe

Enlightened
i have one of each model.

120 Basic: i like the simplicity. (even my wife can use it)
120 T: Tactical functions and the default lumens setting (awesome)
120 P: i can program it anyway i want it

i only have the 120T out of the box. the rest it still in unopened box

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
discohero, i would hold off on buying for now.

even though there are very few runtime plots out,

it seems that the only difference between the 85 and the 120 is one higher level for the 120.

this meaning that both the 85 and 120 lights running at 85 lumens from start will seemingly give you similar runtimes.

i thought that the 120 had a better seoul LED but that doesn't look like the case.

hopefully more people with these lights will do runtimes so we can get a clearer answer.