Which picture hosting website?

elumen8

Enlightened
I'm new to photography and posting pics in general, so I'd like to ask for recommendations on picture hosting websites. I don't want this to turn into a he said-she said of who is better, so if this is a bad topic please let me know. This may sound like a simple question for all of you, but I guess I'm a simpleton.

I'm basically looking for the simplest and most user friendly site for a beginner. I'll probably try others in time, of course. I'd like to be able to post some pics here.

I've heard of flickr, photobucket, imageshack etc...any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

JB

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm using imageshack and it works as is supposed to do (fine) but you should try yourself and check wich fit better your real neccessities/preferences, I guess.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
FWIW, Photobucket is blocked through my work firewall for some reason, but Imageshack is not. I often view threads at work with large blank spaces and have to go home to see what people were actually talking about.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on what you wish to host.

For showing individual photos on forums -
I use primarily PhotoBucket -
but I also have an ImageShack account -
since both are free.

However to show albums of photos -
PicasaWeb mainly - but I also have
ShutterFly.
I understand Flickr is also pretty good however I found the Free account limiting for my usage - eg: limit to displaying the most recent 200 photos.

elumen8

Enlightened
Thank you all for your input. I wasn't even aware of the ability to show albums...proves how little I know. I originally intended only to post photos on various forums, but now I think showing albums would be great as well.

I hadn't heard of Picasa or Shutterfly...are they free also?

Are the free accounts limited to a number of photos or albums I can upload?

I'll look into all these sites.

Thanks again,
JB

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for your input. I wasn't even aware of the ability to show albums...proves how little I know. I originally intended only to post photos on various forums, but now I think showing albums would be great as well.

I hadn't heard of Picasa or Shutterfly...are they free also?

Are the free accounts limited to a number of photos or albums I can upload?

OK - two different purposes -
For "Hotlinking" photos so they can be displayed on Forums etc - PhotoBucket or ImageStation.

For albums to share with friends etc. PicasaWeb and ShutterFly - these normally will not allow hotlinking of individual photos - although you can obviously post a link to them.

All these are Free - PicasaWeb Free has a limit of 1Gb.
I'm not too sure if ShutterFly has a limit, it's been a while since I have uploaded I use this mainly as my on-line "archive" of past photos - but all the photos (tens of thousands) I have on there are still viewable see links in my sig.

elumen8

Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions and info. I'm going to give photobucket a try for posting (hotlinking) pics to forums. Its only limited to 500 mb...is that good for the average user? I noticed that this site has albums...is it easier to share albums with friends on the other sites?

I'm going to post three different picture sizes right now to see if I'm doing this right and to see which size looks best on the forum. I hope that's ok.

If this doesn't work, let me know.

Here goes....
JB

truckeetraintracksjpg.jpg

luckyladyberth-1.jpg

gasstation-1.jpg

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice pics. They show fine.
However, I think there's a rule here in CPF (don't know exactly wich) about max pic size. It should be 800x600. So the 1st one should be resized, I guess.

elumen8

Enlightened
Nice pics. They show fine.
However, I think there's a rule here in CPF (don't know exactly wich) about max pic size. It should be 800x600. So the 1st one should be resized, I guess.

Thanks compasillo, I resized the large one to 800x600.

This was easier than I imagined...I feel pretty silly now :ohgeez:

JB

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
great! everything works fine!
I used to use photobucket, but eventually switched to hosting them on my personal website :p

elumen8

Enlightened
great! everything works fine!
I used to use photobucket, but eventually switched to hosting them on my personal website :p

I'd love to host them on my personal website...but that would mean I'd have to figure out how to create one of those as well. :huh:

BTW csshih, are you going to make it to modamag's get-together? I'll be bringing along my camera (Sony Alpha 350) to take beamshots or try to learn how to take decent beamshots. Usually everyone just shows off their lights, but Jonathan actually lets people use some of his tools to mod lights at his gatherings....at least tha't what I've heard. :twothumbs

JB