Which re-chargeable batteries are you using in your HDS light?

GoVegan

Enlightened
In a month or two, HDS may have some INR 16340 batteries. We are going to test the crap out of them first so we know the actual capacity. It's not that we don't trust the manufacturers, but we don't trust the manufacturers.
These would be INR batteries, not ICR or IMR. Safe chemistry, good capacity, and no protection circuit as it doesn't need one especially in an HDS.

This is great news Dan!
Actually I've been meaning to make a complaint to you guys about this for the last year. The fact that you recommend rechargeable batteries in all your documentation but since AW's went out of business you have made no recommendation for any other replacements (expect for 18650s recently). I was very concerned about this, both from a business perspective (some customers will look elsewhere), and as a ethical consumer I'd like to see people switch primarily to rechargeable.

This is one of the weak points for HDS lights I think, that you don't have your one brand of battery that the customer can fully trust, and something that I was always concerned about before purchasing a HDS.

Other US company light makers all have their own branded batteries now:

Surefire (18650)
Streamlight (18650)
ASP (18650, 16340)
Nightstick (18650, 16340)
Muyshondt (18650, 18350)

Then all the Chinese brands like Fenix, Olight, Eagtac etc have had their own batteries for forever.

So what I'd like to see, is HDS work with an OEM battery maker and bring out your own line of batteries. Obviously not an easy task, but not impossible either, and if you don't know how to do something, hire someone that does. This would be good for some larger sales to gov agencies I should imagine.

Anyway for now I'm looking forward to seeing what cells HDS finally recommend after thorough testing.

GoVegan

Enlightened
BTW I'll add that I'm still using disposable CR123 batteries in my HDS at least for now.

Believe it or not, I'm still on my original battery from when I purchased that light last April!
From last Nov it would step down one level from Max, then gradually over the last couple of months the battery has now got to the point when holding down the button for momentary max or double clicking for medium-high will only be slightly above the 9 lumen medium. 10 months or general EDC usage, not bad for one battery.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other US company light makers all have their own branded batteries now:

Surefire (18650)
Streamlight (18650)
ASP (18650, 16340)
Nightstick (18650, 16340)
Muyshondt (18650, 18350)

Then all the Chinese brands like Fenix, Olight, Eagtac etc have had their own batteries for forever.

Anyway for now I'm looking forward to seeing what cells HDS finally recommend after thorough testing.

Most of the branded batteries roll off the same few assembly lines... especially primaries.
Henry and I talked about branding batteries and decided against it when we moved to the 18650 INR that we currently include with 18680 tubes and sell individually.

16340's were not easy to find in the INR chemistry, which really is the best and safest chemistry to use...

Instead of branding with HDS, we decided it was better to put the actual info on the battery. What is the actual capacity and not what the manufacturer states. We had the labels printed for the 18650 batteries and I'm the lucky guy who sticks them on each and every battery... and so that will be the case with the 16340 if they turn out to be acceptable.

Last edited:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ has reviews of darn near every battery on the planet GoVegan if you need some info to tide you over until HDS offers a cell. Several Vape based forums have extensive testing as well. Honestly, a great number of manufacturer branded re-wraps use the same cell underneath their flashy branded shrink wrap anyway. So, unless you like paying a bunch extra for some shrink wrap with a manufacturers name on it(not saying this will be the case with HDS's cell)I would just buy a popular tested cell from a reputable domestic dealer.

The Efest IMR's that myself and MF are using work pretty well and Gene Malkoff sells them on his site which says something I think. They are not protected though(a good thing for experienced users that value reliability) so, you have to be mindful of end voltage(if used in a light without LVP).

GoVegan

Enlightened
Either way, I can't wait.

Primary cells certainly have their place and can't be beat for reliability under the worse conditions (especially Cr123 and Lithium AA/AAA), but rechargeable cells are the future especially for EDC which these lights are marketed for.

BTW The label idea sounds good, just need to stay off the rum if you want to get them on straight.

Anyway, we expect to see you on these forums less from now on, we may miss the jokes but battery testing will have to take priority. ;)

Rossymeister

Enlightened
Which rechargeable batteries are you using in your hds these days? The set that i have is almost 4 years old and its about time for a replacement.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which rechargeable batteries are you using in your hds these days? The set that i have is almost 4 years old and its about time for a replacement.

I don't use an HDS, but do use a lot of other 1x16340 lights extensively. If you would prefer a protected cell that's very short, while offering very good capacity and consistency (when new), you might also want to look at the second of the two cells (NL169) I checked out in the second part of this post. Also see the 'Note' in the first part of that post.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
they look like they are In Stock when I use that link,
not sure why you say they are on backorder,
but I agree Lionwholesale also has them in stock
IMG_5538.jpeg

Went to check out and this came up.