which surefire should i buy?

rikvee

Enlightened
Hi s.duff, I've been into lights for around two years now, and after trying everything I could find I'd say you already have THE ultimate kick-*** light, a triumph in form and function, the Surefire M3.

Inside the house you'd only blind yourself with one of those, so for near use I'd get an ARC-LS on BST and have it modded with a recent bin by CPF-ers Litfuse or CY, updating it every 2 years or so (the body itself will probably outlast most of us).

and that's really ALL you need, the rest is just playin'.....

lhouseman

Newly Enlightened
I often carry an L4 and use my Arc AAA-P (which I always have with me) for low output. The combination works well.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
I think the combination of a nice, low level LED flood with long battery life and a very nice incan makes the A2 the most flexible light Surefire makes. Plus the fact that the incan is regulated and you dont get the constant dimming is a thing of wonder.

lhouseman

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't argue that about the A2 being a great light. I carry my white LED A2 when I'm hunting. For me, the incandescent works great outdoors and the LED is great for walking in pitch dark. If anything, the white LED is too bright sometimes. I'm thinking about getting a red filter to soften the LED at times. I carry the A2 in my pocket and keep the L4 as a spare in my backpack.

s.duff

Enlightened
carrot said:
Newer generation U2's have a plastic insert in the body tube. Many people have tried all sorts of things to take out the insert... not all methods work on each one. For some, it pops out very easily with pliers, for others, you need to freeze it or heat it... or combinations of those.

is that the only difference between older and newer gens?

carrot

Flashaholic
s.duff said:
is that the only difference between older and newer gens?
Yes. The shape of the body barrel and bezel may have changed slightly aesthetically, but the U2 has otherwise remained functionally the same light according to all reports I have read.

Dogliness

Enlightened
I am in the U2 camp. Some people complain about the U2 beam having a bad donut hole, but I guess I got lucky on mine. There are various threads on people exchanging U2s with Surfire and getting one with a better beam.

The reasons I like the U2 are its versatility (6 levels), versatility (oh, did I already say that; it bears repeating like greenLED said), simplicity (simply turn a ring on the exterior to change levels), build (rugged with very high quality anodizing), brightness (rated up to 80 lumens but in reality much brighter), option to use a rechargeable battery, and beam quality and color.

The other Surefire flashlight that many are recommending is the L4. I think it is also a terrific flashlight. The L4 is shorter (about 5.1 inches for the L4 versus about 6.1 inches for the U2), has a narrower beam, is rated by Surefire at 100 lumens for the new model, and has good run time for such a bright light. (I didn't think the L4 was rated 100 lumens, but I just checked the Surefire website, and that is what it says). If you get the L4, I suggest you get a beamshaper from Surefire so you have the option for more flood ($12), and a tailcap from The Sandwhich Shoppe to give 2-stage capability. The Surefire beamshaper advertised for the E1R, E2E and E2O fits perfectly on the L4.

I find both the L4 and U2 to be too large for EDC in a pocket, and prefer other smaller non-Surefire flashlights for that purpose. If you do not carry the flashlight in a pocket, then I find the difference in size between the L4 and U2 to be not that big a deal. If you want to carry the flashlight in a pocket, then go for the L4.

Since the L4 is apparently rated 100 lumens maximum output just like the L2, the only reason I can think of to buy an L2, instead of an L4 with a two stage tailcap, is the extra cost for the latter.

Good luck.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can, buy the U2 but get it from a brick and morter store or an internet site that will verify the beam quality prior to purchasing. When I had mine, it was hands down my favorite light. Multiple levels is very handy!

-Goatee

Dogliness

Enlightened
: )> has a good point. The donut hole seems to be the big issue with the U2.

Last edited:

s.duff

Enlightened
carrot said:
This topic keeps coming up. There are more than you think, and only a handful have revealed their identities publicly here.
i knew there had to be some here. what would the world be like without cool girls?

wuyeah

Enlightened
U2's donut hole is no problem. What i mean is, as for the return policy. Mine don't have it because i knew this is an issue on CPF, so i play hard to get with seller, and know about their policy. After my purchase, i took U2 out and test right in the store. That is right, Right in front of them. You see donut hole, you tell them it is a defact....most of them knowing not much about flashlight. I don't think donut hole really consider as a defact. You can do an exchange, make sure it is the ok one. If not, forget about it, its not your day to get an U2, return the damn thing and act pissed. U2 has donut problem, but it doesn't happen to all. This way at least you can have better U2.

or you can always choose pocketable L4. Since K2 will be, might be out. Is U2 really a best of all the choice? U2 is a cool light for sure. L4 has less cool factor, real good light for general use.

If you don't usually EDC a light, only use light for camping, M3, i like showing off out door with M3. Extra battery will be needed.

Last edited: