Who EDC's spare battery?

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mainly for those of you who EDC just one light I guess but I was wondering if many of you do this?

I have just about always EDC'ed a torch of some sort before, but never before bothered to carry any spare batteries, unless I was going caving or camping, and even then I usually just bought new batteries and replaced whatever was in the light at the time, maybe carried the olds as spare.

But now that I have changed for an old AA minimag to a nice new cr123A LED 1 cell, I have a lot more room in my bag for one thing, and then there is the cost factor, AA's are dirt cheap, whereas a singe cr123a is about 7.5% the cost of my new torch (in NZ).

I am soon to order some new batts and a charger from Lighthound to cut down costs, but was wondering who bothers with spare batts, or do you prefer to EDC another torch?

I do carry a spare battery with my EDC light. It´s a CR123 too. Here in Brasil it costs about 10 dollars each, so I order them from some americans e-stores (websites) and they ship them to here, costing just 1.50 dollar each!
:party:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I carry mostly 1x123 lights, so I keep an orange match carrier with either 2 primaries or 2 RCR123A's (3.7v) in it as spares.

Considering that I carry both a Novatac 120P and a TW4 or VG 1x123/OpticsHQ head as an EDC, two lights plus 2 batteries should last me quite a long time.

-Steve

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I use an SC1 by Surefire... it holds my P60L for when (if) I need longer runtime vs. the blazing BOG Q5 drop-in I have in the EDC.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carry one extra of whatever battery I am using in my bag if i carry a bag. Used to keep an extra AAA in my wallet for my ARC-p, then realised the thing never dies anyway....

Crenshaw

BSBG

Enlightened
No spare batteries on me, but I do keep them in my briefcase and in a bag with me when traveling.

Same here, but I keep a couple of spares in the car, and in my desk at the office as well.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Although there are no spare 123's on my person (other than in the second light), there are spares in the car, truck, desk at work, Harley, etc. Somewhat like the way squirrels pack away acorns for later consumption:)

Illum

Flashaholic
just a few, enough to make through at least a whole day of darkness:candle::popcorn:

When you study and work in a place with few windows. Darkness takes only a few seconds. no light? your screwed. Don't expect the emergency lights to come on and if they do, usually you can't work using them anyway:shakehead

lights to feed:
spare RCR123A for TW4 [E1E+KL4]
spare CR123As for RL4 [KL4+17670], A2-HA-WH, P1-CE
spare 17670 for E2D [LF EO-E2R LA+17670]
spare 14500s for minimag auroralite

battery carrier not shown : Inova X5-WH
note: SC3 + 1 jil-tube is in the backpack, the rest is on me ;)

Last edited:

Beamshot

Newly Enlightened
I carry a Surefire Spares carrier in my coat or jacket and I also carry 2 123s in shrink tubing in my pocket.(these fit nicely in the watch pocket of most pants):thumbsup:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do carry spares for my lights, usually one set but sometimes two. Since I don't have many lights, the weight of, and the space taken up by, the spares are negligible and I can still be prepared. Since I am poor I like the fact that I don't have to spend a lot of money to be able to deal with almost anything I might need to handle with my lights.

One thing you might want to research is the safe method of carrying spares, especially spare 123's. It's been posted a lot so a search should be easy. Why is this important? Lithium batteries do not react well to shorting out. "Smoking hot" is a good adjective for somethings (or persons) but not for either a primary or a rechargeable lithium cell. I carry mine in plastic match safes if carrying multiple cells (the match safes are just long enough so that the cells do not make continuous contact and they cost less than $1) or for single 123 cells only, in a key chain medicine bottle holder (under $5, meant to hold a bottle of nitro tablets for heart conditions, and again just long enough to prevent the cell from shorting against the container).

The topic of spares carrying is easily searched and there are a lot of really cool and innovative suggestions available.

Hope this helps.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't use to carry a spare on me, but started to after I started EDCing my NDI- love this light. I run it on a 14500 and carry a spare in my pocket using some storage tubes from Hobby Lobby cut down to hold a single AA battery perfectly- waterproof, no larger than necessary, and dirt cheap.

DSCF1210acrrs.jpg

DSCF1216crrs.jpg

DSCF1212ars.jpg

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry 5 spare CR123's 4 spare eneloop AAs a spare AAA eneloop for my LF2. And if I'm using an 18650 light a spare charged 18650.
:D

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have spare 123's at work, in the dar and in my bag.

I'll usually just throw my old Fenix P1 in my pocket or on my car key chain. It serves as the extra 123 and it's a decent light too.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to srvctec --

Thank you for that tip about the Hobby Lobby tubes.

:twothumbs
_

quatra2008

Newly Enlightened
nearly all my lights run on 123 lithiums so i carry two extras in the watch pocket of my jeans. my keychain light doesnt get enough use to warrant a spare in my pants i keep aaa's in my car for that.:)

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I carry a Fenix L1T V2 (P2D body) so I have ONE spare CR123 in the jacket!
Other than that I have a photon freedom around the neck, and a cheapy coincell light on the keys. Thats more than plenty light for a regular day.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
At work, my EDC is a Surefire L4. I wanted to be able to carry a spare pair of batteries, and stumbled across a belt holster at Cabelas that was designed to hold a small flashlight and a knife side by side in individual compartments. Well, 2 flashlights fit in there just as well, so now I carry the L4, and my trusty Inova X5 basically as a spares carrier. It's nice to have another light at my disposal, too.

Ed I like your setup....isn't the Inova a long lasting flashlight? :twothumbs

Personally I EDC extra batts whenever I go out of town...

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally I do not really require spare batteries as I edc the McLuxIII PD-s and Ti Mule PD but I do have spares in my baggie encased in a minimag solitaire casing. It can house 4x123s + 2x18650s (for my M-series lights).

Latest posts