Who EDC's spare battery?

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a spare battery, but its inside a spare flashlight.

Sept27.07002Medium.jpg

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a spare magnet for my edc shakelight. :whistle:

lol

No, I don't "carry" spare batteries, my edc runs on one AA, and I have an EDC keychain light, even if the AA goes dead, I probably wouldn't switch it out until I got home.

83Venture

Enlightened
I have extra lights/batteries in my case that is with me at work and at home. I carry a LF2 in my pocket and have a Daywalker Cap that holds the LF2 Diffuser and a spare E2 battery attached to my neck ID chain. ID chain also has a photon III on it which I plan to replace with a ReX.

The Spare E2 will be available to back up the LF2 or recharge the ReX.

GreySave

Enlightened
The lights I typically EDC are all capable of running an entire night on low to medium power if need me (U2, Kroma, Huntlight Cree, A2). I do carry a Pelican case with the 15 cell foam insert in my CERT kit along with a 6 cell carrier that is small enough to shirt pocket carry. That is to feed the flashlights. I also have a small 4 cell carrier to feed my 123A powered 1 watt headlamp. Thus I can go full power for an extended period if the need arises. I do not typically carry any spares on me simply due to lack of space. Left side of belt carries at least one light, one Leatherman, and one device for self defense. Right side of belt carries pager, cell phone, and 2 meter and / or EMA radio as needed.

MedusaOblongata

Newly Enlightened
I EDC a P2D and P3D. In a belt pouch that holds other things as well, I carry 3 spare primary CR123s. I have had my battery die while I was using a flashlight, so an extra flashlight, and extra batteries, do come in handy. If I'm carrying a bag, I have 3 more spare CR123s (and I'll carry more if I'll be gone for a long time).

I carry spare batteries by wrapping them in saran wrap and then clear packing tape. It's simple, cheap, quick. Easy to open with a knife. There's no empty container to carry around once I've used them. The more water resistance you need, use more saran wrap. The more wear resistance you need, use more tape. Can work with any number or type of batteries. Depending on the shape of the pocket/bag you're carrying them in, can wrap them side by side or end to end. And you don't end up carrying a container that's significantly larger than the batteries it contains. Obviously not a good idea if you're scuba diving, but should hold up well enough in your pocket if you get rained on.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
When wearing a jacket I do carry spare batteries. A Kodak APS film container will hold 2 CR123 cells perfectly. Some other brands won't fit them. You can get a couple of these from your local camera store when people drop off their film (yes, some people still do this! :)
I also carry spare lithium AA's in a flat 4-pack battery holder.
I haven't decided what I'll do when warmer weather arrives.

Bonez

Newly Enlightened
I edc a P3D Q5. After dealing with the orange match carriers pocket buldge (have to wear dress pants to work) I found a perfect use for an *old* flashlight. Now instead of having the orange match carrier, I just use my old P3D regular version as the spares carrier and only use the Q5 normally. This gives me the advantage of having spares on me and I can quickly change over to the old one if I am doing something and the Q5 dies or goes into the strobe low battery mode. Also having the old one means that I can have two people with lights should the need arise (and the second person does not need to make due with the Arc on my keys, they can have a comparable light source..... came in handy a few times!!)

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the time I don't EDC spare batteries, I just have at least two lights on me at all times (usually a Fenix P1 and an ARC AAA-P), and at least two lithium powerd lights in each of our cars. When I'm wearing cargo pants out and about, I usually toss a Spec-Ops cargo pocket organizer in one of my side cargo pockets and that has an additional ARC AAA with spare battery, and a SF E2E with two spare batteries.

pbs357

Enlightened
I don't EDC a spare battery unless I'm carrying my modded QIII in it's kydex holster, which has a molded cr123 tube built into the holster and sits right next to the light.

I keep spares in the car, laptop bag and backpack though. Just too much stuff in my pants and coat pockets as it is...

Current/winter pocket contents:
Pants right - Nitecore (yay! new addition)
Pants left - Money clip
Pants rear right - Wallet for ID's, cards
Coat inside - Moto Q smartphone/pda
Coat right - Keys with a DX fauxton (does that count?)
Coat left - "main" light, currently G2Z w/ Dereelight Q5 drop in
Coat left - Dress leather gloves

Everything is pocket carry because I wear a suit for work (and am not a cop/detective).

I guess technically I'm carrying "spare" batteries, but it's by carrying another light. If I ran the battery(ies) out from one light, I would switch to the other. In the summer time, with no coat pockets I'll be a little less "prepared" on my immediate body as the main light will have to ride in the laptop bag.

Last edited:

TaschenlampeMann

Newly Enlightened
Since I only EDC CR123 lights I carry a spare primary cell in one of those aluminum keychain pill carriers from Walmart. It is always on my keychain so it is alway with me. Lately, however, I have started to carry a second light just because I like having it to "play" with.

jugg2

Enlightened
I EDC a E2E running a EO-E2R, and my backup is a P2D. If I ever think I will need extra runtime with the E2E, I put the EO-E1R in (twice the runtime) before I leave the house.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I always care two extra cells with me. My edc is an HDS EDC and I carry a spare RCR123a and a primary. I want to have enough batteries to last long enough for me to walk home...even if I take the long way home. I also keep an extra 6 primaries in my car for my car light. In an emergency I don't want to have to cut corners on safety...I choose not to make that choice.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
I consider the 2x123 Aleph UV and Fenix P3D Q2 in my jacket, as spare battery carriers for the Mcgizmo's I keep clipped in the watch pocket of my jeans :thumbsup:

DaveG

Enlightened
Dave, how do you carry them, do you have a box that fit all three type of batteries, or they are in separate boxes?
They are in separate boxes,2-123s in a small plastic box,4-aa in a 4 -aa battery pack,and 4-aaa that are still in the store pkg.Add a rubber band to hold the aa-aaa together.

cerbie

Enlightened
Nope, I EDC another torch, instead (L1D-CE/L2D-CE/River Rock 2AA and Arc AAA-P (CS)).

const451

Newly Enlightened
They are in separate boxes,2-123s in a small plastic box,4-aa in a 4 -aa battery pack,and 4-aaa that are still in the store pkg.Add a rubber band to hold the aa-aaa together.

Thank you. I need to keep a couple of CR123 and 4 x AAA in my backpack that's why I asked. I keep them in separate plastic containers but I would like to find a container that will hold both types.